Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2013 LT 1.4T auto

Okay so I can turn a wrench but when it comes to wiring/electrical systems I’m a bit of a caveman so bare with me.. and to make this clear this is not my car, it’s my girlfriends.

early today she calls me panicked saying her cars freaking out and broken, she tells me the traction control/stabltrack warning and cel lights are on and the cars feels sluggish and if she slows down the rpms began to jump around. I tell her to turn off anything that uses power that she doesn’t need (a/c, radio, daytime running lights, etc. ) and limp it home. When I get there I check the fluids and start the car. It idles like a 12v Cummins and feels/sounds like it’s on two cylinders, after a few seconds the dash lights reappear so I brought the motor up to 2k and start mess with different things trying to get a reaction and when I turn on the a/c it really bogs down like it’s at 50hp. This happened 2 or 3 years ago and the shop they took it to just put a new battery and just blamed that as the culprit but I know it didn’t drain a battery already that’s just ridiculous. I remember from the research I didn’t last time that people said the lordstown plant cars were the worst for doing this and yes it’s a lordstown car. Does anyone know the underlying problem? I’ve read it’s the ecu, the battery terminals, as well as a ground going into the ecu. I know their just going to keep throwing new batteries in it and I would hate for an accident to happen or her to get stranded somewhere because they just keep putting a bandage over the real problem. Really appreciate any feedback, thank you

·
Premium Member
8,003 Posts
2 to 3 years is about par for batteries in this car. If the last time it did this was 2 to 3 years ago and a new battery fixed it, you may have answered your own question.

One of the important functions of a battery is to smooth out the power from the alternator. The Cruze is a heavily computerized car, and computers HATE bad power.

Something you might try is check the voltage on the negative side of the battery to ground. Many years of the first gen car had a defective cable that can cause all kinds of electrical problems.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts