Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A month or so ago, my 2012 Cruze 1LT started a weird behavior. The engine didn't start 'right' and it threw a "Service Theft Deterrent" warning. I would shut the car off, restart it and the warning light and message would go away. After the car did that a couple of times, I took it to my dealer who tightened the batt cables and could no duplicate the issue. Since then, the event has been getting worse. Here's what it is doing now: After I start the car and get going, the radio flickers off and on. When I hit the brakes, the radio flickers off and on. I turn the rear window defogger on and then off, it throws a three warning lights (ABS, Stabilitrak and Brake) as well as a "Service Stabilitrak" warning on the display and the goes out. I flip the high beams on and then off, the radio shuts off and comes back on. Hit the brake pedal, SOMETIMES the radio flickers off and on, sometimes not. This is driving my batty. Does anyone have an idea where to begin looking for this, or should I just get rid of the car? I was on this forum before as "ADK_Cruze" but lost all my information.
Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
7,804 Posts
Sounds electrical - but you already know that.

There's a TSB for battery ground cable. I'd get that done.

Plus I'd also replace your battery.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
just saw that there was a sticky thread about what my car is doing, almost exactly. The only caveat is when I shut the car off, I have zero power. Nothing. No dome light, warning lights, nothing. The car is dead. I wait five or ten minutes and I have power again. I start the car and it behaves itself for a few minutes. It has been getting progressively worse over the past few weeks. It's now at the point where I am concerned to drive this thing anywhere. Is the dead power another symptom of the problem that was discussed in the thread? I didn't read through every page of it. Maybe I should've.
Sorry if I am being a pest, but this is my only car and I need it to run properly.
It's a 2012 Cruze 1LT 1.4L/6speed manual with 96,500 miles on it. Three weeks ago, I had to have the turbo assembly replaced under warranty.

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts
This sounds like a near death battery. Replace your battery - it's over four years old.

·
Premium Member
8,003 Posts
The only caveat is when I shut the car off, I have zero power. Nothing. No dome light, warning lights, nothing. The car is dead. I wait five or ten minutes and I have power again.
It could be cable, or it could be battery. You'd need a volt meter to tell which one is the culprit. Assuming that's the original battery, you wouldn't be going far wrong to replace both.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I got in the car this afternoon and nothing, no warning lights, lights, nothing. Dead. So I take it ok, whip open the hood and start yanking on the negative battery cable (it was actually funnier looking than it sounds), get back in the car and it started right up. Soooo, I am thinking that the batt cable is poo. I called the dealer this morning and have an appointment tomorrow afternoon. Oddly enough, she knew exactly what I was talking about, the bulletin # and all that. So, hopefully they can fix the car tomorrow. I'll let you know how it turns out.

·
Chevrolet Customer Assistance Representative
5,722 Posts
I got in the car this afternoon and nothing, no warning lights, lights, nothing. Dead. So I take it ok, whip open the hood and start yanking on the negative battery cable (it was actually funnier looking than it sounds), get back in the car and it started right up. Soooo, I am thinking that the batt cable is poo. I called the dealer this morning and have an appointment tomorrow afternoon. Oddly enough, she knew exactly what I was talking about, the bulletin # and all that. So, hopefully they can fix the car tomorrow. I'll let you know how it turns out.
Hello R3DSh1ft_Cruze!

We're very sorry for this battery cable concern with your Cruze, however, we're glad to see your dealership will be working to resolve this for you! If you'd like an additional layer of assistance as you work with your dealership, don't hesitate to send us a private message.

Sincerely,

Chelsea D.
Chevrolet Customer Care

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
well, they brought the car in and replaced the negative battery cable according to the bulletin and so far, a week or two later, the issue has not replicated itself. In fact, the car is running better than it did, even before the turbo replacement. Thanks for all the help here!

·
Chevrolet Customer Assistance Representative
5,722 Posts
well, they brought the car in and replaced the negative battery cable according to the bulletin and so far, a week or two later, the issue has not replicated itself. In fact, the car is running better than it did, even before the turbo replacement. Thanks for all the help here!
Thank you for the update, R3DSh1ft_Cruze!

We're glad to hear that your dealership has resolved this for you and the concern has not recurred! Should you have any future questions or concerns, please don't hesitate to reach out.

Have a great day,

Chelsea D.
Chevrolet Customer Care

1 - 9 of 9 Posts