Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I'm not even sure this was the section that best matches my problem, but it seems like it from reading through the options. I have a 2012 Chevrolet Cruze which I bought used in 2016 with 78,000 miles on it. In the almost 2 year I"ve had it, I have never had a problem with it until last night (December 9). I was driving home from my step-daughter's recital and it had been sleeing outside so the roads were really slick, and I got stuck going up a hill (along with about ten other drivers). A nice passer by tried hooking onto my car to pull me to the side like I wanted so I could get traction in the dirt, but after a few minutes it just wasn't happening, so they were going to help me get to the bottom of the hill. I went to turn my car back on, as the guy stalled it when getting out (manual transmisison). When I went to start it up, I got nothing, no clicking, no turnover, nothing. My battery seemed to be working, because I could still turn my accessory on and get lights, radio, dash readouts, not no start. I was also getting "Service power steering", "Service Stabilitrak", and "Service Traction Control" on my dash, which has never happened. We were in the car for 3 hours waiting for our tow truck due to bd conditions, and in that time the battery drained, then today would not recharge with a jump start, but I'm just not sure what caused all of this. Can anyone give me some insight before I go spend hundreds of dollars?

·
Registered
325 Posts
Do you know if it still has the original battery (doubt it, but curious), or how old the current battery is?

Also, where did he hook onto your car?

I assume it was running until he stalled it (did he try to move it and then kill the engine ?), and then you could not start it?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, it was running beautifully, he hooked somewhere under the front.

Honestly I have no clue on the battery age. it's at least the same one I bought it with

·
Registered
325 Posts
Yes, it was running beautifully, he hooked somewhere under the front.

Honestly I have no clue on the battery age. it's at least the same one I bought it with
Not knowing a whole bunch about this, but perhaps disconnect the negative cable from the battery for a couple minutes, then reconnect.
Check for corrosion on the post, and the positive post while you're at it.

Could be coincidence and be a bad battery, or something with the clutch pedal not sensing it is totally depressed in order for the engine to start--not sure of the correct terminology on that one, so maybe someone can help lol.

I would try the battery disconnect first.....easiest/cheapest thing to try first.

Like I implied, in my first sentence, I'm not too smart :)

·
Registered
325 Posts
Haha! I appreciate the input! I will definitely try that! I've been hoping like **** myself it's not a clutch problem :p
Let us know if it works :D
Still trying to think of that switch for the clutch thing....sort of like a neutral safety switch on an automatic trans...it won't let you start the engine unless it's in park or neutral, or in your case, the clutch depressed :p

·
Registered
88 Posts
Let us know if it works :D
Still trying to think of that switch for the clutch thing....sort of like a neutral safety switch on an automatic trans...it won't let you start the engine unless it's in park or neutral, or in your case, the clutch depressed :p
Remembered there was a post that mentioned the switch, but the pics are gone, and i'm not really sure what the end result was. Also mentions that when the values for the position of the clutch are way out of wack, it will pop stabilitrack and traction control warnings. Hope OP gets good news --> http://www.cruzetalk.com/forum/137-...rials/4112-how-bypass-your-clutch-switch.html

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts
Batteries are relatively cheap. I wouldn't be surprised of your battery is th original as the symptoms you describe are insufficient power to the car.

·
Administrator
2014 LT program car, Pull Me Over Red
11,981 Posts
Also look into this: Special Coverage #14311: Negative Battery Cable ---http://www.cruzetalk.com/forum/25-gen1-service-issues/102769-special-coverage-14311-negative-battery-cable.html

1 - 9 of 9 Posts