Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi guys and gals,
Bit of a scary feeling, I was driving my 2013 Cruze (AUS) down the fwy at 100kmph and the electrics cut off! All lights,radio and gauges all shut down but a second later they turned themselves on again. Thought nothing of it until 5 mins later it did it again. Got home and as I was about to turn engine off it did it again! Thoughts, suggestions, a tin of petrol and a match anyone?! It's booked in with Holden for the 9 Jan but I thought I'd ask the techsperts on here as well!
2013 Holden Cruze SRi 53000km on the clock. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Chevguy, I'll mention it to the 'Service Rep' when I drop it off on Friday, they can check it out while under there. You're right about intermittent faults, invariably they will tell me that they took it for a test drive and couldn't replicate the fault. Like it happens on demand right?! Hopefully they have a scanning tool that can plug into the OBD and see if there were any flags raised recently, or better yet a log of some description for fault codes?!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Are there enough turns in the wiring loom to generate a back EMF?! or are you thinking from the altenator windings? the inductive problem should only present when the power is cut. I was still on the fwy and driving normally, no bumps or potholes to jolt or interfere with the contacts within the relay either. I'll ask the grease monkeys to check the rectifier/altenator for any possible signs of wear or damage, cause they have the car for the whole day anyway.
corrosion around the battery is not a problem, clean as hotel bedsheets. I immediately checked the battery for loose connections when I got home, all connections were solid. I'll give the relay a little love tap in the morning with the car running, see if there are any problems with the contacts.

thanks for your input NickD, very informative and helpful! I'll be letting them know of your solution and see if they can implore a similar fix.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If you hadn't said you worked as Bell labs in the 60's I would have said you were Elon Musk with that amount of knowledge.
The real question is why are there not people like yourself working on similar projects with such a wealth of information to prevent such issues, but that raises the age old 'out-for-themselves' debate of how car companies (CC) are always looking for maximum profit with minimal expenditure.
CC these days are so quick to release new models, you have to wonder if the proper testing (as you have outlined above) is actually being conducted, or whether they are simply using cheap materials to build a car that only lasts 5-10 years these days?

A topic for another day/forum perhaps..

In the meantime, I shall conform to automotive convention and take the car back to the dealer.

Thanks again NickD, clearly a well educated engineer who understands the ins and outs of electrical jibbers!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts