Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I searched for emission cleaning but not any usable help. Hope you guys can help. I took my 2012 Chevy Cruze with 79,000 miles in to dealership. It sputters at start up and gives check engine light giving code. Same codes that previously had to replace the cam cover. They already replaced in January and the guy behind the counter said I needed a Emissions Cleaning. He said that is reason it's giving the codes again. That they could do it for $110 (amount in that neighborhood). So looking online not much besides PepBoys and other shops that state they do them. So my question is, what can I do to clean it myself. Thanks for the help, sorry for the long post.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Tell them to show you where in the owners manual it recommends an emissions cleaning.

Try a few bottles of this after fixing the problem.

AMSOIL P.i. Performance Improver Gasoline Additive

xtremerevolution is an Amsoil dealer and he should be able to get them at a reasonable price. I would also recommend using their oil too SS5w-30.

Our other car is a 2007 mazda 3s and we had it since new and changed the oil every 7500 miles and used one bottle of the PI additive between oil changes and today we have 98,000 miles on the car. The throttle bottle is as clean as it was on day one and we are on the original pcv valve and the car does not use oil between changes and we have no oil leaks. I highly recommend their products. I wish they just made something to fix defective factory water pumps.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I would give this a shot only if you know how to use this stuff. Sea Foam. In the brake booster and the gas. I do it every 20000 miles to all my cars stuff works great notice difference like night and day.

·
Administrator
25,082 Posts
I searched for emission cleaning but not any usable help. Hope you guys can help. I took my 2012 Chevy Cruze with 79,000 miles in to dealership. It sputters at start up and gives check engine light giving code. Same codes that previously had to replace the cam cover. They already replaced in January and the guy behind the counter said I needed a Emissions Cleaning. He said that is reason it's giving the codes again. That they could do it for $110 (amount in that neighborhood). So looking online not much besides PepBoys and other shops that state they do them. So my question is, what can I do to clean it myself. Thanks for the help, sorry for the long post.
P0420 is a vacuum leak. A clogged emissions system won't cause this.

As for the "emissions cleaning" - there is no "required or recommended" service for this. However, if you don't run "top tier" gasoline the owners manual does recommend cleaning your fuel system every few thousand miles. The easy way to do this is to pick up a bottle of Chevron Techron Fuel System Cleaner (12 gallon size). Then run your tank down to a quarter tank and go to a Shell station. Put the fuel system cleaner in and fill the tank with Shell vPower 91/93 octane. Emissions systems are very sensitive to how clean the engine is running so cleaning your fuel and combustion systems is step one to cleaning the emissions.

Please post the codes in the order they appear on the scanner.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The codes were P0171 & P015B. The tech said the the voltage was erratic on both 02 sensors and had to be replaced. They stated the dirty emission caused it and pushed to get it done. I opted not to do any work. (will do it myself). I requested the work order, but nothing they said was on it. My order stated that the did did a 21 point check. They also did Campaign 12213 and Campaign 14801. So getting to order both O2 sensors, and do what was recommended with Techron Fuel System Cleaner.

·
Super Moderator
5,528 Posts
The codes were P0171 & P015B. The tech said the the voltage was erratic on both 02 sensors and had to be replaced. They stated the dirty emission caused it and pushed to get it done. I opted not to do any work. (will do it myself). I requested the work order, but nothing they said was on it. My order stated that the did did a 21 point check. They also did Campaign 12213 and Campaign 14801. So getting to order both O2 sensors, and do what was recommended with Techron Fuel System Cleaner.
You have not put your location in your sig so I can't offer much beyond recommending NOT replacing any O2 sensors…..the only code that has merit is the first code that came up…..you indicate a P0171…..any code that follows is resultant and is not to be given much concern.

even though the valve cover was replaced does not mean it hasn't failed again…..Chevrolet has recently sent out a bulletin regarding secondary failures of the valve cover are possibly the result of a stuck control valve in the intake manifold and it is to be checked if the cover did fail again.
If the valve is stuck, the car will be getting a new manifold as well as a new cover.

Lastly, if at all possible, get to a different dealer…..dealers that sell unpublished services should be considered nothing more than crooks taking advantage of consumers that don't read the manual.

That is all,
Rob

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the feedback Rob, as well as everyone one else I greatly appreciate it. I am from South Texas, McAllen if you know the area. It sure felt like he was trying to take advantage when he was pushing for the emission cleaning. I had requested the work order of what they did and guy said he would fax it to me. I got the fax with nothing more than part # for the O2 sensors and total estimated cost of $ $342.45. When I first got car back it stuttered again, but today was not so hit and the two times I started her up no sputters. I did notice RPM were higher on start up this time from before they reprogrammed the engine control module. So should I replace sensors or clean out system and wait and see. Thanks again. Feedback is greatly appreciated.

·
Administrator
25,082 Posts
Put in the fuel system cleaner and Shell vPower Premium. Then tomorrow morning hit the road. Have lunch on the San Antonio River Walk and then head home. What you need to do is clean out the system.

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
The dealer was probably trying to sell you the BJ intake cleaning. That's what my dealer offers and they have a whole line of BJ product services to sell.

·
Super Moderator
5,528 Posts
Thanks for all the feedback Rob, as well as everyone one else I greatly appreciate it. I am from South Texas, McAllen if you know the area. It sure felt like he was trying to take advantage when he was pushing for the emission cleaning. I had requested the work order of what they did and guy said he would fax it to me. I got the fax with nothing more than part # for the O2 sensors and total estimated cost of $ $342.45. When I first got car back it stuttered again, but today was not so hit and the two times I started her up no sputters. I did notice RPM were higher on start up this time from before they reprogrammed the engine control module. So should I replace sensors or clean out system and wait and see. Thanks again. Feedback is greatly appreciated.
I would be inclined to run a bottle of Chevron w/Techron cleaner through a full tank of quality fuel just as a maintenance measure……Obermd suggested a bit of a road trip and I agree with a good hour long run just to purge the catalyst and decarbonize the O2's…….If the air filter is marginal address that as well.
I'm not saying there is not a O2 problem but a good cleanout run helps to define the problem.

For educational purposes, the front 02 provides information to the computer so it can make fuel trim adjustments and it looks at those adjustments…..it will set a code if the results are not what are anticipated.
The post catalyst 02 looks at the difference between the untreated exhaust ahead of the cat and the treated exhaust after the cat. If it doesn't see enough difference a catalyst operating below threshold is set.

When that code pops up the best first step is to replace both O2's before pointing a finger at the cat…..an O2 operating out of range, but within parameters won't set a O2 code….it instead sets a catalyst code…..but I cannot recommend 02 replacement just because they 'may' be the problem….there are many tests available that can better pinpoint if they are indeed causing the concern.

You have also indicated, or i interpret your post as, a stutter on cold start.
If my interpretation is correct the 02's are not involved in any way……the 02 information is very limited during 'open loop' operation (Open loop means the engine has not reached a target temperature where the computer is making adjustments, so the engine is operating on a fixed program…..once at target temperature the system goes into 'closed loop'…..the computer has taken over fuel/timing duties).

I always ask about location to help determine operating conditions the car experiences.

Rob

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
If your not using top tier fuel it could cause a problem. I would take the dealer up on the cleaning.When it does not fix your problem they own it and will have to fix it Note if the car is always run on top tier fuel it will need no kind of emission service what so ever.

·
10,695 Posts
All the above, newer bottles of chevron with techron don't say "with techron" anymore at least at Wally World. New dealer should also be an option. They also say you need a throttle body cleaning service?

The dealer was probably trying to sell you the BJ intake cleaning. That's what my dealer offers and they have a whole line of BJ product services to sell.
They not using B&G or the GM stuff that is rebadged?

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
O2 sensors do fail, back in the 80's had to be replaced about every 25K miles, doing a bit better now, and mostly the victim and not the culprit. But can be tested. Just had to add a nickles worth of nichrome to these things that barely increases the warm up time, but doubled the price on them. But anything exposed to a 1,400*F exhaust temperature won't last forever.

Can only question the job done on your camshaft cover replacement, were the gasket surfaces cleaned, and the bolts properly torqued?

Dealer still won't give me the parts, so when I get home, redo the jobs, this is the only way I know of to get the job done right.

Still toss in a can of Seafoam before each oil change, top tier gas ain't enough to keep the engine clean, cost me 7 bucks unless its on sale. Still burning carbon after over 100 years.

·
Super Moderator
5,528 Posts
I believe the 02 warranty was backed down quite a bit a few years ago…..memory serves, 24month, 24k miles however GM includes them in their base, bumper to bumper warranty…..ie 3yr 36k miles.

The warranty manual clarifies.

Rob

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for all the feedback and support. I am glad to report that I have not had any more issues with car. When I got the car back I might have had one or two sputters at start up. Yesterday I filled up with Shell VPower 93 Octane after putting in Techron Fuel System cleaner. I also put new Air Filter and ca bin filter (even though it has nothing to do with performance). So far no sputters drove for about an hr yesterday. Today a lot of city driving running errands and not once single issue. I hope it is gone for now until further maintance has to be done. So thanks everyone for the input.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts