Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been a pretty quiet member of this forum for quite a few years, only posting every now and then. I have learned a LOT from other members of this forum and had enjoyed my Cruze since I got it in 2015. It is a 2014 2LT RS model that has now seen its last days with me. Like many of us here, I have had problems with the diaphragm in the valve cover and have replaced it probably 2-3 times now. Earlier this year was going to do the intake mod that would (hopefully) alleviate the problem permanently but other things have come up and I decided that it was time to replace this car with something that has considerable towing capacity, something that is needed for our future plans. So, with that in mind, I stopped working on improvements to my car. It was going to be replaced this November or December but a few nights ago, I was rear-ended by a guy who was likely drunk. I knew that the repair cost would be substantial but given the offer I got from my insurance company, it's clear they believe that the repair cost is greater than what the car is worth. Given my future plans and that I was going to use the car to partially fund its replacement, repairing the car would result in a salvage title and that wouldn't give me enough of a return on selling / trade-in when it came to replacing the car when I preferred to. So, with this, I'm sad to say that I will shortly no longer be an owner of a Gen 1 Cruze that still has its original brake pads! Yes, I was that gentle with it as about 80% of its miles were freeway/highway. At my current usage, they'd probably need replacing in another year or so...

Thank you all!

Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle Vehicle

Oh, and the vehicle in the background is the vehicle that did this. The woman in the picture was not involved.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Right there with you. My 2016 Premier RS was rear ended a couple of days ago. Similar damage as yours, but mine refused to start after the accident and was towed off. Waiting on the determination from the insurance company, but it sounds like it’s going to be totaled. Best of luck.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Well that sucks.
Yeah my old 12 got to 125k on the front brakes and still had the original rear brakes at 190k when I traded it in.

·
Premium Member
2,184 Posts
Right there with you. My 2016 Premier RS was rear ended a couple of days ago. Similar damage as yours, but mine refused to start after the accident and was towed off. Waiting on the determination from the insurance company, but it sounds like it’s going to be totaled. Best of luck.
If an impact sensor goes it won’t start. I have no idea how or why it resets. There is no shut off switch or explosive terminal like other vehicles. But removing the key for 10 seconds usually does the trick.

If that doesn’t fix it then something got knocked apart.

·
Registered
4 Posts
If an impact sensor goes it won’t start. I have no idea how or why it resets. There is no shut off switch or explosive terminal like other vehicles. But removing the key for 10 seconds usually does the trick.

If that doesn’t fix it then something got knocked apart.
I tried to start it right after the accident to move it off to the side and again 30 minutes later with no luck. Should find out in a couple of days if it will ever see the road again.

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
Sorry for loss and glad you are ok. Speaking of brakes though I'm at 169k miles and still have not touched any of the brakes at all. Good luck with your new vehicle venture and don't forget to stop by and say hi.

·
Registered
690 Posts
I'm really sorry to hear that, it happened to me too a couple years ago. My engine and transmission were in great condition, I was the only owner of my 2011 Cruze since day one. I decided to find another similar Cruze with the engine damaged and I was lucky after a couple months to find one with many miles on it but still working. I bought it for a bargain price and I did a swap engine and transmission. Still my 2014 Cruze has the 2011 engine and MT. Think about that option if is not too late, see below the details:
How-To: Engine Swap - 2011 ECO MT to 2014 ECO MT | Chevrolet Cruze Forums (cruzetalk.com)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you all for the great, kind words and advice! Unfortunately for me, I will not be returning to being a Cruze owner as I have different vehicle needs, but I did greatly enjoy my car while I had it. I originally bought it as a commuter and didn't modify it. It was basically completely stock. I'm its 2nd owner and I had it from about 11,000 miles onward. My experience with the car has been fantastic overall. Aside from the usual small issues such as the valve cover/intake manifold stuff that's well covered here (I was planning to fix that) and my particular car had a predilection for eating the clips on the window regulators (I've replaced all but one, most at least once...) I haven't had any real significant problems with this car.

All that being said, if my vehicle needs pointed toward another commuter-type car, I would have looked at possibly acquiring another Cruze (yeah, I know they're no longer made for the US market) or another very similar vehicle. I'm really not into doing much in the way of mods to my cars unless it's for durability/reliability and I'm sure the mod will not cause a problem with the SMOG people. I'm also not much into high-power sports cars as my cars have to be spouse-friendly as she needs to be able to get in and (more importantly out) of my car and my Cruze was at the limit of that. Sure, very comfy once inside, but she didn't like getting out of it as it wasn't easy for her to do. A sports car would have been worse on that end!

At least I was completely and 100% uninjured in this incident and (hopefully) the guy that ran into me is going to find himself on the wrong end of the law for choosing to drive drunk (highly likely) and/or flee the scene (literally hit and run). While I really and truly don't hold any ill will against him personally (because my car is just a thing), I do expect that he answers for his misdeeds as we all should if we commit any ourselves.

As for now, I'm on the hunt for a new-to-me vehicle and I expect that this will take a few weeks as I want to ensure that I get the right vehicle for my needs. Once I find it and I'm ready to commit to it, I'll get it and drive it home. Once I'm ready to, I'll try to pop back in here to give the readers of this thread an update. As I write this, my car is but a few hours away from physically leaving my possession and I expect that it will not likely end up resurrected later, though its parts will very much likely end up dispersed, it is entirely possible that in the coming weeks and months, a Cruze owner of this forum may end up getting a part of my car! While we'll never likely know, if it's you, enjoy it!!

·
Registered
72 Posts
Sorry for loss and glad you are ok. Speaking of brakes though I'm at 169k miles and still have not touched any of the brakes at all. Good luck with your new vehicle venture and don't forget to stop by and say hi.
The brakes on these cars are incredible. My '12 still has its originals with 74K miles, more than I've ever done with any previous car.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Thank you all for the great, kind words and advice! Unfortunately for me, I will not be returning to being a Cruze owner as I have different vehicle needs, but I did greatly enjoy my car while I had it. I originally bought it as a commuter and didn't modify it. It was basically completely stock. I'm its 2nd owner and I had it from about 11,000 miles onward. My experience with the car has been fantastic overall. Aside from the usual small issues such as the valve cover/intake manifold stuff that's well covered here (I was planning to fix that) and my particular car had a predilection for eating the clips on the window regulators (I've replaced all but one, most at least once...) I haven't had any real significant problems with this car.
Sorry about what happened to your car, but 'glad that you're okay. I think insurance companies tend to declare things a total loss even when a repair might be do-able. I had a similar thing happen with a Malibu and I often wonder if the car might actually still be on the road somewhere after the insurance wholesaled it off (and made money on the deal). But I took the insurance settlement and bought my Cruze, so all ended well. :)

Best wishes with whatever vehicle you end up with!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
While I'm 100% certain that my car is completely repairable, there's no reasonable way it could be done for what the car is worth on a timeline that I would have needed it back on the road. My 2LT was sold at auction the other day and I'm sure it's going to either reappear as someone's project car or its bits will reappear in other people's cars in the future, but either way, I don't really care that much beyond simple curiosity because it's not mine any more and I'm moving on. To that end, I've moved on to a very nice F150 pickup with MOAR POWAH than I have ever needed in the past. This particular truck meets a need that my Cruze just couldn't meet and since having both wasn't going to work, the Cruze was going to be sold/traded-in anyway.

This is a great and helpful forum for Cruze owners and I'm glad I got to be a part of it and I learned a LOT about my Cruze because of people on here that I've never met. I'll still pop in every now and again but I've got places to go...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts