Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ended up buying a brand new 2013 Mazda 3 Sport Automatic for $16,000. Got $4,000 for my '06 Cobalt.
Couldn't pass up the deal and with strong resale value it should be worth something in 2 years when the next Cruze comes out. Still have $3500 GM card points and will use the card heavily so they don't go away.

Impression of the Mazda:
Corners and handles great.
Great steering.
Pick-up is OK but not especially responsive
Seats are pretty comfortable even without lumbar support (I guess most car makes are not putting this comfort feature in their cars anymore, which I think is sad.
Good visibility and controls are intuitive and easy to reach.
Good fit and finish.

The bad:
Ride is rough (knew this going in, my Balt wasn't exactly smooth)
A little vibration at idle.
Not nearly as quiet as the Cruze, even my Balt had more insulation from outside noise.
New car smell-this is a personal issue as I have MCS and react to chemical smells. Leather seats would probably have been a good idea-I guess I can get catskinz if necessary for $1600.
Brakes kind of spongy. Not sure if that's the way they are normally.

No compact is perfect and I know that. I have no problem trading it in on the next Cruze, which I like for it's smoother ride, quiet interior and the fact that it's American. Slap a better engine in there, get rid of neutral idle, don't make it bigger and I'll buy one when it comes out.

·
Super Moderator
7,813 Posts
Congratulations and best wishes on your new ride!

·
Lyrical Wordsmith
6,748 Posts
Good luck man. I don't know about New Mazdas, but not the best for reliability. Hope you do tag along when the new GM comes out :D

I like the looks of it, but it sure reminds me of a F30 3 series or a Infinit Q50.

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Congratulations and best wishes on your new ride!
Good luck man. I don't know about New Mazdas, but not the best for reliability. Hope you do tag along when the new GM comes out :D

I like the looks of it, but it sure reminds me of a F30 3 series or a Infinit Q50.
Thanks guys! From what I've read in the forums they seem to be pretty reliable, I sure hope so. I will most likely get rid of it when the new Cruze comes out so it'll always be warranty repairs.
Just didn't want to take a chance on a major repair to my Cobalt while waiting. I do miss the car though, pain in the butt it was I was attached to it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Congrats on your Mazda!! We came very close to getting the Mazda3. I was actually on the way to buy the Mazda when I decided to stop at the Chevy dealer on the way. They ended up having the Cruze we wanted and were able to work to get us the price we wanted. Good luck with your Mazda, its my 2nd favorite car in its class :)

·
Premium Member
3,975 Posts
There's an '03 Protege5 in the garage with almost 90,000 miles on the clock. The only thing that has failed on it was the thermostat last August. It's our third Mazda compact that is the only thing that has failed on any of all three. The first two went over 100K miles each before we traded them in. Good luck with your new one.

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Congrats on your Mazda!! We came very close to getting the Mazda3. I was actually on the way to buy the Mazda when I decided to stop at the Chevy dealer on the way. They ended up having the Cruze we wanted and were able to work to get us the price we wanted. Good luck with your Mazda, its my 2nd favorite car in its class :)
Thank you very much. It was between the Mazda and the Impreza. The Impreza would have been a more comfortable ride but the CVT is so loud! Also, no way I could get one for $16,000

There's an '03 Protege5 in the garage with almost 90,000 miles on the clock. The only thing that has failed on it was the thermostat last August. It's our third Mazda compact that is the only thing that has failed on any of all three. The first two went over 100K miles each before we traded them in. Good luck with your new one.
Thank you and that's definitely good to hear

·
Registered
85 Posts
Congrats.. The rebates on the leftover 3's makes it a very aggressive car.. around here north of the border, they advertise them below 12 grand ( being a no a/c standard transmission) model, but still a heckuva deal for a great car.

·
Premium Member
5,157 Posts
Enjoy the MZ3! My brother has a 2012 hatch, and really likes the handling. He's a bit disappointed with the fuel economy, though. No problems with the Skyactiv engine. It definitely has a decent amount of pickup.

Just be warned, it's normal to have it screaming at 2000 RPM on cold start when it gets cold out. That shocked my bro when his did that when it was below freezing. Normal, just a bit disconcerting.

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
Congrats and have fun with it. we have a 2007 with 75000 and still runs good hvac still blows cold as first day we got it and no engine fluid leaks. only thing the went wrong with was a motor mount which was covered on the powertrain warranty and an alternator and a thermostat. knock on wood.
it a 3s by the way.

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Congrats.. The rebates on the leftover 3's makes it a very aggressive car.. around here north of the border, they advertise them below 12 grand ( being a no a/c standard transmission) model, but still a heckuva deal for a great car.
The price was too good to pass up for me. $14,000 out the door with my '06 Cobalt trade in

Enjoy the MZ3! My brother has a 2012 hatch, and really likes the handling. He's a bit disappointed with the fuel economy, though. No problems with the Skyactiv engine. It definitely has a decent amount of pickup.

Just be warned, it's normal to have it screaming at 2000 RPM on cold start when it gets cold out. That shocked my bro when his did that when it was below freezing. Normal, just a bit disconcerting.
The manual does mention this, sounds like it isn't happy but it's just to get the temp up faster

Congrats and have fun with it. we have a 2007 with 75000 and still runs good hvac still blows cold as first day we got it and no engine fluid leaks. only thing the went wrong with was a motor mount which was covered on the powertrain warranty and an alternator and a thermostat. knock on wood.
it a 3s by the way.
Thanks, trying to take it easy on the car for a little while, it'll be nice when I feel safe enough to see what it can do.
Brakes are really spongy though, not used to that

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,534 Posts
Congrats. I love the look of the 2014's, but have friends that have a 2012 (SkyActiv) and 2009 (2.0) and both have been excellent cars so far - the 2009 is going on 70,000 mi with nothing other than brakes and tires and oil changes.

They're nice little cars, very fun to drive and throw around corners. The only thing that bugs the heck out of me is the incredible road noise. We may be getting my brother a used 1st-gen model pretty soon to take up to school with him.

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Congrats. I love the look of the 2014's, but have friends that have a 2012 (SkyActiv) and 2009 (2.0) and both have been excellent cars so far - the 2009 is going on 70,000 mi with nothing other than brakes and tires and oil changes.

They're nice little cars, very fun to drive and throw around corners. The only thing that bugs the heck out of me is the incredible road noise. We may be getting my brother a used 1st-gen model pretty soon to take up to school with him.
Thanks. Yes, there is plenty of road noise plus you can here stuff outside of the car that you wouldn't hear in a Cruze, or even my Cobalt. Mazda (and Subaru) apparently don't believe in sound insulation, this is one area where GM kicks everyone else's butt.

·
Premium Member
916 Posts
Good luck on the Mazda3. That was one of the top 3 cars I was looking at before I bought the ECO. I was mainly looking at the hatch though.

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Darn near forgot Mazda even existed, still making the RX7 and the Wankel? Along with Nissan, Subaru, Isuzu, Mitsubishi, and Suzuki. Honda and Toyota is still around. These cars were becoming popular in Central Wisconsin in the 80's when GM, Ford, and Chrysler were making pure crap. Devaluation of the American buck didn't help the smaller ones, one by one all these Japanese dealers faded away. South Korea wasn't even heard of.

We certainly were more capable of producing better weapons than the Japanese during WWII, what happened in the 80's besides greedy CEO's and stockholders. Sure took them a long time to wise up. But still quite are not there yet.

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Good luck on the Mazda3. That was one of the top 3 cars I was looking at before I bought the ECO. I was mainly looking at the hatch though.
Thanks. I considered the hatch but push button start is standard and I didn't want that

Darn near forgot Mazda even existed, still making the RX7 and the Wankel? Along with Nissan, Subaru, Isuzu, Mitsubishi, and Suzuki. Honda and Toyota is still around. These cars were becoming popular in Central Wisconsin in the 80's when GM, Ford, and Chrysler were making pure crap. Devaluation of the American buck didn't help the smaller ones, one by one all these Japanese dealers faded away. South Korea wasn't even heard of.

We certainly were more capable of producing better weapons than the Japanese during WWII, what happened in the 80's besides greedy CEO's and stockholders. Sure took them a long time to wise up. But still quite are not there yet.
Mazda is doing fine, Subaru is doing really good, the others not so much. Suzuki and Isuzu are gone and I think Mitsubishi will be next.

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,534 Posts
Thanks. Yes, there is plenty of road noise plus you can here stuff outside of the car that you wouldn't hear in a Cruze, or even my Cobalt. Mazda (and Subaru) apparently don't believe in sound insulation, this is one area where GM kicks everyone else's butt.
Yeah, Toyota/Honda don't either. Maybe owning the Cruze has spoiled me a little bit (my Volvo was extremely loud as well), but the ride and noise in the Camry/Accord/Civic/Corolla is just awful in comparison.

Nonetheless, once it's time for a tire change, a quiet set of Michelins transformed the 2009 into a very tolerable highway car - no more loud roar going down the highway.

·
Premium Member
2,821 Posts
Yeah, Toyota/Honda don't either. Maybe owning the Cruze has spoiled me a little bit (my Volvo was extremely loud as well),
Yeah my daughters 5cyl S70 seems really noisy compared to my ECO - especially engine noise. My wife's 2012 CR-V is not as quite as my ECO but - I did read where it was way improved with regard to noise over the 2011's. The CR-V even has aero panels underneath like my ECO.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts