Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I recently bought AC Delco A3144C filter for my 2012 Chevy Cruze 1LT. The new filter carries the same GM part 13272719 as the old filter but is about 1/4" wider. The top filter housing does not close snug around the filter leaving gaps around the sides. I have a couple of questions:

1) Did I buy the wrong part? The manual says AC Delco part AC3144C (notice the extra C)
2) If not, am I installing it wrong? The filter sits snug in the lower assembly; it is the top assembly that has trouble closing around it.

Sorry if the question is too basic; I am stumped as to what is going on. Thank you for you help / guidance.

·
Premium Member
294 Posts
As far as I can tell A3144C is the correct air filter for your car. I’m not really sure how the top housing can’t close if the filter is seating properly on the bottom half. Maybe I’m not understanding the issue?

one thing I do know is the air filter for the 1.8L and the 1.4L are slightly different. I believe the 1.4L is a little bigger. Autozone for some reason assumed I had the 1.4L and sold me the wrong filter.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The base (orange rubber seal part) is about 1/4" longer in one direction and doesn't seem to fit in the grooves of the top housing. I'm laying the filter flat and then trying to close the top housing around it.

·
Premium Member
294 Posts
The base (orange rubber seal part) is about 1/4" longer in one direction and doesn't seem to fit in the grooves of the top housing. I'm laying the filter flat and then trying to close the top housing around it.
that sounds like the exact same issue I was having with mine. Are you certain you don’t have a Chevy Cruze LS with the 1.8L engine?

·
Administrator
25,489 Posts
It looks like GM was trying for a tighter fit. Can you squeeze that orange rubber into the housing and then close the filter box?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I will try but the orange rubber doesn't compress much. You think this is a design change rather than a defect?
Also, looking at the old filter date I don't believe the dealership replaced the filter at 45k when I asked them to. The car is now at 89k miles.

It looks like GM was trying for a tighter fit. Can you squeeze that orange rubber into the housing and then close the filter box?

·
Registered
14 Posts
I would take it back and tell them to recheck item numbers and tell them you either want a filter that fits or your money back

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
UPDATE: as obermd suggested, I was able to squeeze the orange rubber seal into the grooves on the top housing and then lower it on to the bottom housing. It fits now and the top housing cover closes property. Definitely not as simple as seating the filter on the lower housing as I saw on multiple YouTube videos.

·
Administrator
25,489 Posts
UPDATE: as obermd suggested, I was able to squeeze the orange rubber seal into the grooves on the top housing and then lower it on to the bottom housing. It fits now and the top housing cover closes property. Definitely not as simple as seating the filter on the lower housing as I saw on multiple YouTube videos.
This eliminates air gaps that aren't being filtered properly. I've seen this in other cars as well.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts