Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I see half of my valve cover bolts are rusted. I only have 50K miles on my 2013 Cruze LT.

Also, I see a lot of rust build up on those bolts that hold the engine shield I think.

This looks like excessive rust for a 4 years old and 50K miles car. Should I worry? Is this normal? I need to keep this car for 60K more miles and 6 years.

Vehicle Auto part Engine Car City car Auto part Bumper Automotive exterior Vehicle

Thank you!

·
Premium Member
5,535 Posts
Sadly, normal......steel being steel in a sometimes damp (or salty) environment.

Don't spend too much time looking under the car......It'll likely be nasty down there.

Rob

·
Administrator
2014 LT program car, Pull Me Over Red
12,122 Posts
Looks pretty clean. Have you used any chemical cleaners on it? I find many items on mine that are rusting. On my 2014 LT the screws for the reverse lights were rusted to beat all **** in 2014! The dealer just shrugged at me and this was just days after I purchased it. I have since replaced them with stainless screw. All I can say is if your worried, start cleaning / de-rusting stuff now. It is only going to get worse especially if you are in the rust belt like I am.

·
Premium Member
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I never used any cleaning products inside the engine compartment. Only warm water and some car wash soap from time to time to clean off dirt where I can. I live in Canada and I always do my rustproofing every year. But they only treat the panels and underneath. I wonder if I should apply rustproofing grease elsewhere, and if it is safe to do so.

·
Administrator
2014 LT program car, Pull Me Over Red
12,122 Posts
If you're careful on applying it, after you clean something, you can clear coat it. It will last for awhile, but not forever. A little dielectric grease on some items also works. You need to understand the effects of what you use on what parts though first.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts