Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Every single time I have started my car today, the cooling fan has kicked on immediately. Even when the gauge reads 3 little tick marks above cold. Any ideas? It's never done that to me before. 2011 Cruze 1LT 50,477mi

·
Premium Member
2,021 Posts
What year/model? My 2011 Eco had the same issue and they resolved it with an ECM update. Seems dumb though since it happened around 40k miles. It would turn on full blast when I turned the car on, and stay on unless I turned the car off and restarted it, then it went back to normal. This was the same time I had the weird idle issue, too. Is your cruze having any other issues?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
A/C is not on and yes I have a small coolant leak from the overflow hose connection at the water outlet. I put more coolant in it at lunch. It won't ever kick the fan off though, no matter how cool the engine is

·
Chevrolet Customer Assistance Representative
5,722 Posts
Every single time I have started my car today, the cooling fan has kicked on immediately. Even when the gauge reads 3 little tick marks above cold. Any ideas? It's never done that to me before. 2011 Cruze 1LT 50,477mi
We definitely recognize these concerns involving the cooling fan running, and I would be happy to look into this further and contact the dealership on your behalf. Feel free to send me a private message!

Patsy G
Chevrolet Customer Care

·
Registered
1 Posts
Having the same problem.
I have a 2012 cruze, fan runs all the time and it is loud..
I have 40,000 miles,.
Does anyone know if this will be covered or what it is that is
causing it..

Thanks, papaw

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
To add to this I recently added some driving lights running the power source straight from the battery. Im not sure what its called but it didnt like the negative ground wire directly to the battery. Has to be thru the loop all the other negative cables go thru. My fan ran constantly on high while the - wire was directly wired to battery.

·
Super Moderator
5,528 Posts
Having the same problem.
I have a 2012 cruze, fan runs all the time and it is loud..
I have 40,000 miles,.
Does anyone know if this will be covered or what it is that is
causing it..

Thanks, papaw
The dealer will have to diagnose for the cause of your specific problem.....may or may not be powertrain related.
Currently I'm leaning towards not but you may be pleasantly surprised.

Rob

·
Premium Member
7,804 Posts
To add to this I recently added some driving lights running the power source straight from the battery. Im not sure what its called but it didnt like the negative ground wire directly to the battery. Has to be thru the loop all the other negative cables go thru. My fan ran constantly on high while the - wire was directly wired to battery.
The "loop" is a current sensor. It's supposed to sense how much charging current the battery is getting. If you bypass that loop, the car gets very confused about how much current is going into the battery.

I thought I saw a guide from Chevy about installing 2-way radios into the car. Of course, now that I'm looking for it, I can't find it. But from what I remember, it said to NOT connect directly to the battery, but to the ground point where the battery connects.

·
Registered
310 Posts
When I installed my upgraded headlight wiring, I had the same problem. Disconnecting the battery for a few minutes and making sure the new harness was grounded via a ground point fixed the fan issue. No problems since.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am having a similar problem with my 2011 Cruze. When I run the a/c the fan comes on at high speed every ten seconds or so. I talked to a few mechanics and they said it was normal, I don't buy this since it only started doing this recently. I called my local GM dealer and spoke to someone in service and he had no idea what I was talking about.

No longer sure what to do about this problem, I'm not using my a/c for the time being but would like to resolve the issue.

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
16,594 Posts
I am having a similar problem with my 2011 Cruze. When I run the a/c the fan comes on at high speed every ten seconds or so. I talked to a few mechanics and they said it was normal, I don't buy this since it only started doing this recently. I called my local GM dealer and spoke to someone in service and he had no idea what I was talking about.

No longer sure what to do about this problem, I'm not using my a/c for the time being but would like to resolve the issue.
If it's running off-high-off, the fan needs to be replaced. The low and medium-speed relay has gone bad, and I think it's all integrated into the whole thing on a Cruze. High speed bypasses the relay and gives full voltage as commanded by the ECU.

·
Premium Member
4,083 Posts
My Cruze has 2 fans on the radiator, is this normal for all Cruzes, or only on the diesel? I thought the a/c fan only may be faulty?

·
Premium Member
7,804 Posts
If it's running off-high-off, the fan needs to be replaced. The low and medium-speed relay has gone bad, and I think it's all integrated into the whole thing on a Cruze. High speed bypasses the relay and gives full voltage as commanded by the ECU.
It's the resistor, not the relay. But same deal - you have to replace the fan as it's not sold separately.

·
Registered
2 Posts
So is it the rad fan motor that needs to be replaced or the rad fan module?

·
Premium Member
2,498 Posts
1 - 20 of 37 Posts