Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Help.

2012 Chevy Cruze 1.4L Turbo

The engine fan keeps melting off. LONG POST!!
1st time: I was driving “down the hill” with my AC on when the car gave the message “AC turned off due to high temp”. I noticed this right away and turned it off. 2 minutes later the car said “idle engine, high temp” so I pulled over immediately and turned the car off. The fan was just hanging there BC the center of it was all melted. Outside temp was about 111F.

I replaced the fan and the coolant temp sensor.

2nd time: I was driving “down the hill” with AC turned OFF and my windows down. Car again said “AC turned off due to high temp”. 1 minute later again “idle engine, high temp” pulled over, fan melted. Outside temp about 107F.

I replaced the fan and the thermostat. When I removed the thermostat the spring was just hanging around inside so the part was damaged.

3rd time: Again driving down with AC off and it melted again. Outside temp about 101F.

Only difference between time 1-2 vs the 3rd is that the 3rd time I managed to get an extra 40 minutes of drive time before I had the issue. I monitored the coolant temp the entire drive and it stayed between 198F-219F. Once I pulled into my driveway I looked and it said 240F, opened the hood and saw it was melted.

Am I missing something or…?

·
Registered
2015 Cruze 1.4L engine 6 speed AT
1,054 Posts
I must say that I have never heard of a cooling fan melting that wasn't from a fire. So this is a bit strange to be sure.
I have a couple questions about the FIRST time it happened, because I have a theory.

1. When was coolant level last checked ?
1. When was the coolant last changed ?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I must say that I have never heard of a cooling fan melting that wasn't from a fire. So this is a bit strange to be sure.
I have a couple questions about the FIRST time it happened, because I have a theory.

1. When was coolant level last checked ?
1. When was the coolant last changed ?
Coolant level is good, checked regularly.

Coolant has never had a full flush but a year ago a hose burst spilling a whole bunch so new coolant has been put in recently. Also, the water assembly above the coolant sensor broke 2 months back so more coolant spilt and I filled it once I fixed the part.

Car has approximately 140k miles.Top fan happened today, bottom fan happened the first time.

Car has approximately 140k miles. I’ll try to post a picture of the fan if I figure out how to.

·
The Nuclear Option
5,646 Posts
Help.

2012 Chevy Cruze 1.4L Turbo

The engine fan keeps melting off. LONG POST!!
1st time: I was driving “down the hill” with my AC on when the car gave the message “AC turned off due to high temp”. I noticed this right away and turned it off. 2 minutes later the car said “idle engine, high temp” so I pulled over immediately and turned the car off. The fan was just hanging there BC the center of it was all melted. Outside temp was about 111F.

I replaced the fan and the coolant temp sensor.

2nd time: I was driving “down the hill” with AC turned OFF and my windows down. Car again said “AC turned off due to high temp”. 1 minute later again “idle engine, high temp” pulled over, fan melted. Outside temp about 107F.

I replaced the fan and the thermostat. When I removed the thermostat the spring was just hanging around inside so the part was damaged.

3rd time: Again driving down with AC off and it melted again. Outside temp about 101F.

Only difference between time 1-2 vs the 3rd is that the 3rd time I managed to get an extra 40 minutes of drive time before I had the issue. I monitored the coolant temp the entire drive and it stayed between 198F-219F. Once I pulled into my driveway I looked and it said 240F, opened the hood and saw it was melted.

Am I missing something or…?
Do you live somewhere really hot?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Do you live somewhere really hot?
I listed the outside temperatures when it happened above, also the “hill” is steep to where they have signs on the freeway stating “turn off AC next 15 miles”
I live in Southern California. The “hill” is the one that leads to Victorville, CA.

·
The Nuclear Option
5,646 Posts
I listed the outside temperatures when it happened above, also the “hill” is steep to where they have signs on the freeway stating “turn off AC next 15 miles”
Ok. I live in the flatlands of Indiana where the highest temperature EVER was 106 so I have no idea what your talking about. It sounds like your underhood temperatures are just too hot for the part's designed criteria.

·
Registered
2015 Cruze 1.4L engine 6 speed AT
1,054 Posts
Holy cow !!!! I have never EVER seen that. My original theory was a blown head gasket, now I'm lost again. :eek:

Granted my car has never seen 111F heat, but it has seen 100F-ish heat. 10 degrees shouldn't do that!?!?!

The windings of the motor would seem to be doing the damage. I would check the voltage going to the fans. So check the wiring and fan relay for any voltage drops.

Or maybe its an air flow issue. Is the radiator or grill blocked? Or maybe just dirty, like is the radiator full of bugs or something?

·
Premium Member
2,457 Posts
You replaced the fan…… Blades?

I am guessing fan never worked and it just burned itself over time because it lacked the needed current to start up.

In order of most likely to least likely.
  • The shroud wiring broke somewhere.
  • The wiring from shroud to fuse box broke.
  • A fuse
  • A relay (there are 3) is bad.

Notice how bad relay is at the bottom of the list. Yeah save that monster for last.

·
Registered
835 Posts
whelp, anywhere between 55 to 100 degrees ambient temperatures, 221-248 coolant temp, at idle, is normal for the Cruze. As it was above 100 out, your reading of 198-219 was in spec, but you were moving.

Seeing as you were at 240 when you were at home, definitely pointed to the thermostat. good catch. first time seeing a fan like that.. crazy.. best guess goes with snipesy lol

Attachments

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You replaced the fan…… Blades?

I am guessing fan never worked and it just burned itself over time because it lacked the needed current to start up.

In order of most likely to least likely.
  • The shroud wiring broke somewhere.
  • The wiring from shroud to fuse box broke.
  • A fuse
  • A relay (there are 3) is bad.

Notice how bad relay is at the bottom of the list. Yeah save that monster for last.
I’m going to check out the stuff you listed but when I get the time.
I’ll definitely be letting everyone know if I fix it and how in the event this ever happens to someone else.

·
COTM Winner
2012 Cruze LTZ 1989 StarQuest 2004 TrialBlazer EXT
896 Posts
maybe try to clean the radiator, condensor and intercooler fins with hose lightly ... maybe not enough airflow for the internal bearings on the motor of the fan ?? I know when I pulled mine apart this weekend I found a lot of stuff built up on the face of the radiator between the intercooler, transcooler, and radiator. just tossing a theory out there

·
COTM Winner
2012 Cruze LTZ 1989 StarQuest 2004 TrialBlazer EXT
896 Posts
Exhaust leak blowing on the fan??

Reactions: Maqcro1

·
Premium Member
879 Posts
Try replacing resistor pack for fan. Sound like maybe a short in pack is running full current through fan and overheating wiring in fan causing literal meltdown.
but the fan comes with the resisters already wired to the motor.

·
Premium Member
119 Posts
I’m going to check out the stuff you listed but when I get the time.
I’ll definitely be letting everyone know if I fix it and how in the event this ever happens to someone else.
Any resolution? It was an exciting read .... but who won the game, the heat or the fan? or just another cruzetalk cliffhanger...?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts