Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hardly ever wind the gears out or accelerate hard in the cruze but its good to blow a little carbon out every now and then so i was gunning it the other day and in both first and second gear the engine cut out at right around 5k rpm, 1st gear did it twice in succession then second gear blipped once while passing 5k. i tried it several more times thinking maybe the computer wasnt keeping up bc i dont normally drive that way so i was seeing if it would adjust but the same thing kept happening. Not sure what it could be, i was thinking maybe i need to re gap my plugs considering i had replaced them a while back with the copper ones. any one have a similar problem or have any ideas to what is happening?

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
I'm not positive but the cruze might have a rev limiter. Many cars do to prevent damage to the engine from excessive RPMS.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Sounds like spark blow out to me. Ate you stock or tuned? I'd check your plugs a the coppers seem to wear down quick. Look into the ngk bkr8eix plugs. Have them in my tuned cruze and love them.

·
Registered
533 Posts
I'm not positive but the cruze might have a rev limiter. Many cars do to prevent damage to the engine from excessive RPMS.
All cars have rev limiters. The Cruze is set at I believe 6600rpm so it doesn't sound like hitting the limiter...plus the auto wouldn't let it. Sounds like spark blowout to me or a choked up fuel system. OP, how many miles on your car?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
its a manual.. and theres only 20k on it. stock tune, about 17k on the plugs, it does have a catless DP, so it does throw a code for o2 sensor but that shouldnt effect anything.

·
Administrator
25,036 Posts
The ECO MT's rev limiter is 6,000 RPM in 1st gear and 6,500 in 2nd through 6th. Since you have 17K miles on copper plugs I'd guess spark blowout. Feels like the car is stuttering.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yea, i gapped them when i got them but havent touched them since. should i get new ones or just re gap them? and what gap should i be using i think i was at a .32 before or .032, whichever sounds right lol. i use 93 and its always a top tier station, shell, BP, or similar. and i didnt know that about 1st gear with the ecos.

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
16,536 Posts
Take a look, see if there's still a "V" in the center electrode. If so, regap to .028", and put em back in for another couple thousand miles.

·
Registered
18 Posts
My SAAB turbos used to act like the OP described.

The dealer said the car needed to have its fuel injectors cleaned by running the car on solvent for $200+.

After that, I started putting in a bottle of Techron with my last gas fill-up before every oil change, which eliminated the problem.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Update.. Re gapped my plugs and everything seems to be back to normal. The plug gaps had opened as wide as .054.

·
Administrator
25,036 Posts
Update.. Re gapped my plugs and everything seems to be back to normal. The plug gaps had opened as wide as .054.
At 0.054" I'm surprised the car didn't start cutting out on you at 1500 RPM when the turbo starts spooling.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It would do it at a considerable lower rpm with the AC on. Around 2500 or so

1 - 15 of 15 Posts