Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I have a turbo (4 cylinder, 1.4L automatic) 2011 Cruze. I just bought it used last week. It's right at 51,555ish miles. In the past week the "Service Stabilitrak" light came on, and blinked, then went away. It did this twice when I swerved, so I thought it was related to that. However, this morning on the way into work it came on again and so did the engine light and the check engine light is staying on. I just had this car checked by my mechanics. They gave it an oil change, new air and oil filters. The windshield washer pump needed replaced. They could not find anything wrong with the car and said I did okay choosing it. Then the very next day my engine light comes on.

I am planning on taking this to get the code read after work today. However, prior to a code reading, does anybody have any ideas or suggestions on what this could be? Should I not drive it at all? I just bought this car a week ago and I'm kind of freaking out. At more than 5 yrs old and more than 50,000 is anything covered if I take it to a dealership? Thank you for your help.

·
Premium Member
5,535 Posts
Although you don't yet have the code, the description lines up with a failed pcv diaphragm.....meaning the cam cover would reguire replacement with the possibility of a intake manifold as well if the vent valve is stuck.

The diaphragm can fail at any time so there is no way the mechanic that checked it out could forsee the failure.

You can drive it in this condition but it will run poorly and possibly die at idle.....will restart though.

Rob

·
Administrator
25,603 Posts
First thing - read the codes and post them in the order they appear. The first code is most likely the culprit.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Okay so the code my mechanic gave me on Friday: P0300, symptom 0

This code seems to indicate a random misfire - unspecified cylinder. My spark plugs look brand new...and the list of what else this could be is pretty long. Anybody have experience with this code? Any idea what it is most likely to be.

My mechanic looked at the coil pack, greased it and cleared the code. He couldn't find anything wrong, but he didn't examine the car too long. He said if the light comes back on then he'd replace the coil pack. Buuuuut when the light comes back on I think I will take it to a dealership for them to at least tell me what they think is wrong with it. Any help anybody on here could give though would also be helpful. I just bought this car and I don't have a lot of money to throw into it at the moment. Thank you!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I should add that the code he was familiar with, it was the symptom zero he was unsure of what that meant. Also this car just had an oil/oil filter/air filter change. And when I bought it, the dealership put a new battery in it because it was sitting a while and the battery had gone dead. Not sure if oil change or battery are factors, but thought I'd mention them. Thanks.

·
Administrator
25,603 Posts
I wonder if you have a piston ring issue. The 2011s had a few with bad piston rings. The problem is you're outside all the warranties.

·
Patience Of Job
559 Posts
Hi,

I have a turbo (4 cylinder, 1.4L automatic) 2011 Cruze. I just bought it used last week. It's right at 51,555ish miles. In the past week the "Service Stabilitrak" light came on, and blinked, then went away. It did this twice when I swerved, so I thought it was related to that. However, this morning on the way into work it came on again and so did the engine light and the check engine light is staying on. I just had this car checked by my mechanics. They gave it an oil change, new air and oil filters. The windshield washer pump needed replaced. They could not find anything wrong with the car and said I did okay choosing it. Then the very next day my engine light comes on.

I am planning on taking this to get the code read after work today. However, prior to a code reading, does anybody have any ideas or suggestions on what this could be? Should I not drive it at all? I just bought this car a week ago and I'm kind of freaking out. At more than 5 yrs old and more than 50,000 is anything covered if I take it to a dealership? Thank you for your help.
Your issues seem similar to mine engine light would come on blink & then go away & it did it for awhile like that. Then the Engine light started coming on & blinking along w/ the Stabilitrak & traction control light along w/ messages say "Service Stabilitrak & traction control" & right now at the dealership they have no clue what is going on w/ mine & mine is a 2011 Chevy Cruze w/ 63,000+ miles now.

Just out of curious do you have oil wetness or leaking type out of your throttle body? Take your fingers & feel under the throttle body & see if its wet in oil if so I must say you may have the same problem I am experiencing *maybe* that is, because they sound similar.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Your issues seem similar to mine engine light would come on blink & then go away & it did it for awhile like that. Then the Engine light started coming on & blinking along w/ the Stabilitrak & traction control light along w/ messages say "Service Stabilitrak & traction control" & right now at the dealership they have no clue what is going on w/ mine & mine is a 2011 Chevy Cruze w/ 63,000+ miles now.

Just out of curious do you have oil wetness or leaking type out of your throttle body? Take your fingers & feel under the throttle body & see if its wet in oil if so I must say you may have the same problem I am experiencing *maybe* that is, because they sound similar.

What code is your Cruze throwing that's causing the engine light to come on?

What I've been reading says that any misfire will make Stabilitrak turn off and therefore give us the blinking "Service Stabilitrak" light, etc. Has your engine light just flashed, or is it staying on? If both our cars are throwing the same code, we could be onto something, so let me know what code (or codes) yours is showing.

I am not sure about the throttle body on mine -- my mechanic checked several things (but not everything) last Friday. It will probably be next week before I can take it in again. I think I am taking it to a dealership to at least diagnose it and tell me what it is (with some certainty)...so I will post back here when I know more. Thanks.

·
Patience Of Job
559 Posts
What code is your Cruze throwing that's causing the engine light to come on?

What I've been reading says that any misfire will make Stabilitrak turn off and therefore give us the blinking "Service Stabilitrak" light, etc. Has your engine light just flashed, or is it staying on? If both our cars are throwing the same code, we could be onto something, so let me know what code (or codes) yours is showing.

I am not sure about the throttle body on mine -- my mechanic checked several things (but not everything) last Friday. It will probably be next week before I can take it in again. I think I am taking it to a dealership to at least diagnose it and tell me what it is (with some certainty)...so I will post back here when I know more. Thanks.
I am actually not sure what the code is, because I sent it to the dealership for repair. But when you mentioned light was blinking & then would go off & come back on - that is exactly what mine did however mine was using oil like I never seen before around 2 quarts in under 40miles. So it was pretty insane; you can check out my thread & see what the initial complaint was & what has been done so far & what is yet to be done.

But yeah my engine light would come on during me pushing the gas & start blinking & then go off & car would run really well, & then all once when I push the gas here come the light blinking. & then the traction control light & others would light up, did you ever see if you got oil seeping out of the throttle body?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Here is an update, if anybody is interested.

Last week, my mechanic seemed confident it was only a coil pack that needed replaced, since he could not find anything else wrong. So, I had the coil pack replaced. About 100-150 miles after the coil pack was replaced, my engine light blinked and the service traction control light came on again.

I told my mechanic, he did one more check on it, double checking the spark plugs and also checking my fuel injectors this time. He said they're working fine. The code reading machine says I'm still misfiring in cylinder 2 and 3. But spark plugs, coil pack and related ignition components are all, allegedly, fine.

I have an appointment at a dealership next week. I'll let you know what all they say.

·
Patience Of Job
559 Posts

Last week, my mechanic seemed confident it was only a coil pack that needed replaced, since he could not find anything else wrong. So, I had the coil pack replaced. About 100-150 miles after the coil pack was replaced, my engine light blinked and the service traction control light came on again.

I told my mechanic, he did one more check on it, double checking the spark plugs and also checking my fuel injectors this time. He said they're working fine. The code reading machine says I'm still misfiring in cylinder 2 and 3. But spark plugs, coil pack and related ignition components are all, allegedly, fine.

I have an appointment at a dealership next week. I'll let you know what all they say.
Yeah you may need to have a compression check done to check further. Because after they changed my turbo on my car - & it failed & had to be towed the next day - they changed the ignition coil & spark plugs & then took it on a test drive & it "fell flat of its face" as the term they used. So then I mentioned a compression test people here has advised me to have the tech perform this, & they finally did & it seemed Cylinder #1 is 0psi & tomorrow is 3 weeks since my car has been in the shop.

So advise as people here as told me, have them do a compression check that will give them a better understanding on what is wrong.

·
Chevrolet Customer Assistance Representative
5,722 Posts

Hello melissaisdown,

I am glad to see that you have an appointment with your local Chevrolet dealership to have your vehicle concerns diagnosed. Please feel free to send us a private message f you require any assistance while working with your dealer. We would be more than happy to assist.

Cecil J.
Chevrolet Customer Care

·
Registered
92 Posts
I just had this happen a day ago. Service stabilitrak and engine code indicating misfire in cylender 1. Anyone fix their issues and figure out what it was. got 47k on 2012 1lt 1.4l Thinking about changing plugs to just have new ones with grease on them. running 93 octane only for months

·
Administrator
25,603 Posts
I just had this happen a day ago. Service stabilitrak and engine code indicating misfire in cylender 1. Anyone fix their issues and figure out what it was. got 47k on 2012 1lt 1.4l Thinking about changing plugs to just have new ones with grease on them. running 93 octane only for months

The Cruze's spark plugs don't have any grease on them, nor should they.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am actually not sure what the code is, because I sent it to the dealership for repair. But when you mentioned light was blinking & then would go off & come back on - that is exactly what mine did however mine was using oil like I never seen before around 2 quarts in under 40miles. So it was pretty insane; you can check out my thread & see what the initial complaint was & what has been done so far & what is yet to be done.

But yeah my engine light would come on during me pushing the gas & start blinking & then go off & car would run really well, & then all once when I push the gas here come the light blinking. & then the traction control light & others would light up, did you ever see if you got oil seeping out of the throttle body?

Did you ever find out the cause of the blinking check engine light or stabilitrack? My Cruze has been experience something very similar this week. I'm taking it to the auto parts store to check codes this weekend.

·
Registered
2 Posts

Any luck on finding the problem?

·
Patience Of Job
559 Posts
Did you ever find out the cause of the blinking check engine light or stabilitrack? My Cruze has been experience something very similar this week. I'm taking it to the auto parts store to check codes this weekend.
Mine ended up being blown piston rings. Be sure to keep us informed on your code readings as I am sure they are alot of great knowledgeable people to help point you in the right direction. I know everyone here did the same for me when I went through the growing pains w/ my Cruze. Good luck tho & hope its just something minor & nothing major!

·
Patience Of Job
559 Posts

Do you have a lot of oil in the throttle body?, & under the passenger front bumper do you see oil under the corner? The reason I am asking this, is this was the signs including the misfiring & engine light coming on & blinking, & came to find out that I had blown piston rings. Now I am not saying you are having the same issues, however your symptoms seem slightly the same.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts