Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know I've seen some other posts on this one, but figured I'd post up my experience with the code which occurred yesterday on my drive home from work and the fix.

I started feeling the misfiring happening while driving, kept getting service stabilitrak on the DIC, and the flashing check engine light. Had 45 minutes to go til I got home as I was only into the drive for about 15 at that point. Long and frustrating. Got home, scanned since there was no set code yet, but had a pending p0304. My wife moved the car off to the side so we could drive the truck around. Being that there were no other codes, I figured it was the coil pack, so I was able to pick one up from the dealership today. Not messing around with chinesium parts.

After replacing the old with new, I pulled the boots off and looked at the ends of the springs at the resistor? if that what that is, but two of the four were badly corroded which will cause the misfiring. So with that said, apparently you can buy those springs with the resistor attached to them at napa for $8 each. Could have save myself $170, but what ever, if this module burns out, I got the original and will just swap those parts out quick n easy.

Don't know if there's a sticky anywhere on this, but this is just a refresher incase someone else is running into this issue.

·
Registered
2015 Cruze 1.4L engine 6 speed AT
738 Posts
I pulled the boots off and looked at the ends of the springs at the resistor?
Yes, the springs have a resistor. IIRC they should read about 1000 ohms.

two of the four were badly corroded which will cause the misfiring.
If you apply a bit of dielectric grease to the boots at the top and bottom inner wall of the boot it should stop any corrosion.

Could have save myself $170, but what ever
That is special dealership pricing, the ignition coil should have cost about a $100. But when you need it, you need it. Anyway they never last forever so it wasn't wasted money. Like you said, keep the old stuff you will need it eventually if you keep the car.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, the springs have a resistor. IIRC they should read about 1000 ohms.

If you apply a bit of dielectric grease to the boots at the top and bottom inner wall of the boot it should stop any corrosion.

That is special dealership pricing, the ignition coil should have cost about a $100. But when you need it, you need it. Anyway they never last forever so it wasn't wasted money. Like you said, keep the old stuff you will need it eventually if you keep the car.
Even going to advance auto and getting the chinesium part was $190. I could have gotten it from rock auto for 100, but necessity of the part made me get it now.

Both ends got the dielectric grease, so it'll be set for as long as I need it to be anyway.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts