Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So @ 99,991 miles the engine started making very bad noises. it is not so much on rev up but deceleraton because the milage I didnt do much checking had it towed to the dealer.
Admittedly I have not kept the best records of my oil changes but all pretty close, some before some after the oil life monitor came on. Now the dealer wants reciepts from oil changes, they are being nice so far.
I have always used AMSOIL in this car and all of my other vehicles. I do not blame the oil I trust it.
I do recall a couple times between gears hearing a faint rattling but never took much notice
I am not a race car driver and this is not a race car, most the time it sits on the highway @ 75 MPH

1) Has anyone else had much trouble with this engine?

2) Am I in for a fight?

3) Where do I get parts if I need to do it myself?

·
Premium Member
2,821 Posts
GM treated me well when my ECO engine went. Did not ask for oil change records, I had never taken it to a dealer for oil changes, but used only Mobil One and way before the OLM indicated. My engine was rebuilt and the Turbo replaced no questions asked or receipts/records needed. Good luck with your engine.

·
Administrator
25,079 Posts
I'd want to know why they're asking for the oil change history/receipts.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
After our second phone conversation he said he would like them if GM asked, , I told him I would look and see what I have, next conversation will be monday
I am hoping the call goes good, it is the second time at this dealer, not where we purchased it but the first time it went in was for battery under warranty they swapped it fast and painless.

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
Good luck with the warranty process. Wow, that is cutting it close!!!

·
Chevrolet Customer Assistance Representative
5,722 Posts
Good evening mreese,

We're sorry to hear you're experiencing this unexpected concern with the engine in your vehicle. Please keep us updated on how everything goes Monday with your dealer call. If you need any further assistance, feel free to reach out to us.

Regards,

Marlea W.
Chevy Customer Care

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
The tail of how the engine has been taken of lies under the valve cover.Its easy enough to tell by looking under the valve cover if oil was changed properly.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So Finally I get word, GM has refused the claim, said there is "Blueing" and the service guy was very non-discript I am waiting on e mail of pictures and GMs paper work.

Does any one have any ideas how to procede?

·
Premium Member
2,219 Posts
I am not familiar with what "blueing" means. I am not sure I really trust this oil life monitor. Everyone can come to their own conclusions. With a 100,000 mile warranty I just plan on taking my car to the dealer for oil changes with a 5,000 mile interval. No way gm can deny a warranty claim then.

Hope you you can fight the denial of a claim, I am not familiar with that process.

·
Banned
188 Posts
You blew your motor up using AMSOIL?!!!! Great we can finally see how that Amsoil warranty works out, im sure any second the Amsoil salesman will chime in to help you step by step with your claim!

·
Super Moderator
5,528 Posts
The dealer is not empowered to deny a claim….they are empowered to authorize.
Only Chevrolet, through a district service manager can deny a claim…..in particular if there is a maintenance, or lack thereof issue.
Based on the timeline, I doubt if the claim has been denied at this point…..the DSM hasn't had enough time to review the claim.

So, for starters, direct your aggravation at the dealership…..sounds like someone is overstepping their authority.

You should be able to come up with enough documentation to support twelve or thirteen oil/filter changes…..hand written dates and mileages help support your claim.

At the dealer end…..blueing, due to lubrication failure, refers to a actual color change of a lubricated component that is in contact with another lubricated component……for example, a camshaft journal, if distressed due to lubrication failure, would be colored blue due to it overheating……same as if you hold a flame against a new piece of raw sheet metal…..it'll turn blue.

So, at this point, a lubrication failure must be proven by the repairman……if there really are blued parts.
A cause of lubrication failure due to poor maintenance is easily proven by removing the oil pan and inspecting the oil pump pickup screen.
If it is packed with sludge, preventing the oil pump from sucking oil through it, a mechanic can rest assured the car has not had its oil changed at timely intervals.
If the screen is free of sludge, the next point to disassemble is the oil pump……the mechanic is looking for a mechanical failure that would show as severe scoring on the pump lobes.
If the screen is clean, but the pump is scored, the heat damage components are a result of a pump failure….not related to maintenance.

I could go deeper, but currently what I'm getting at is you are being told of a 'Resultant Failure' not a actual cause of failure.

The manufacturer has to prove, beyond a doubt, that the failure is a direct, provable result of poor maintenance.

Generally, Chevrolet will not bother going to that extreme to annoy a customer…..there is no gain……and that is why dealers are not empowered to deny a claim.

If you did maintain this car, and it has never been operated with extremely low oil levels, hold your ground till the Chevrolet DSM makes the call.
In general, it will never get that far…..the DSM authorizes and thats that.

Keep in touch….good luck,
Rob

·
Banned
188 Posts
So Hilairious, this thread is over a month old and no help in sight from Extreme Revolution, He'd be the first one to chime in if you had and oil questions though and tell you what to buy, But as soon as an engine blows up with Amsoil in it, cant find him...

·
Super Moderator
5,528 Posts
So Hilairious, this thread is over a month old and no help in sight from Extreme Revolution, He'd be the first one to chime in if you had and oil questions though and tell you what to buy, But as soon as an engine blows up with Amsoil in it, cant find him...
Although we each have our preferred product, I don't think there is enough information for Extreme or anyone to point at a particular product yet.

Unless there are pieces missing from the story, if you read my post, I'm more of the believe we are working with a questionable dealer, not a lubricant.

If the dealer points his finger at Amsoil (or any other specification compliant lubricant) the OP then should contact that product manufacturer.
I have seen independent shops try to blame a particular product (oil) for all kinds of things……and once the oil manufacturer got involved things got real ugly…..for the shop…..

We'll see how this plays out…for now, without actual cause of failure, nobody involved in the lubricant business can, or should get involved.

Rob

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
The dealer would send a oil sample for analysis along with the filter.At GMs direction ! The OP also says some oil changes were done after 0 oil life was remaining. My guess is the engine does not look to good internally.I can take one look under the valve cover and determine that for the most part.Bluing would also mean the oil was run low.Of course a oil pump problem could also cause it.These engines can tend to have 9K miles to get to 0 oil life. I do not agree with letting this engine go that long.Or any engine go this long.Amsoil is a good product but for all we know the oil could have went 15K on some oil changes? I would tell the dealer i plan on taking them to the local court house over this matter.If your sharp in your presentation very likely the dealer will have a judgment rendered against them.I cant see what the engine looks like under the valve cover but if it is clean with just bluing you are in good shape to win.

·
10,695 Posts
Running Amsoil SS you could run to 0 on 11-15 Cruze. Dexos 2 is dead around 6k and the OLM in 13-15 changed because people ran it to 0% in the 11-12's. 0% for the 11-12 is like 11,000 where 13-15 is only like 7000 @ 0%

·
Administrator
15,614 Posts
So @ 99,991 miles the engine started making very bad noises. it is not so much on rev up but deceleraton because the milage I didnt do much checking had it towed to the dealer.
Admittedly I have not kept the best records of my oil changes but all pretty close, some before some after the oil life monitor came on. Now the dealer wants reciepts from oil changes, they are being nice so far.
I have always used AMSOIL in this car and all of my other vehicles. I do not blame the oil I trust it.
I do recall a couple times between gears hearing a faint rattling but never took much notice
I am not a race car driver and this is not a race car, most the time it sits on the highway @ 75 MPH

1) Has anyone else had much trouble with this engine?

2) Am I in for a fight?

3) Where do I get parts if I need to do it myself?
So Finally I get word, GM has refused the claim, said there is "Blueing" and the service guy was very non-discript I am waiting on e mail of pictures and GMs paper work.

Does any one have any ideas how to procede?
The dealer is trying to screw you over by blatantly declining to provide a complete diagnosis. "Bluing" indicates that oil starvation occurred somewhere as a component overheated. If your engine was run low on oil, the engine could have been starved of oil. This was an occasional problem with some 2011 and 2012 models. Please keep us posted on the issue.

You blew your motor up using AMSOIL?!!!! Great we can finally see how that Amsoil warranty works out, im sure any second the Amsoil salesman will chime in to help you step by step with your claim!
Always remember boys and girls, when your engine blows, change your oil no matter what before going to the dealer!!
The inflammatory nature of your posts is both rude and impolite, and you will alter their tone immediately or find yourself looking for a new Cruze forum. This first and only warning. You should be well aware that your comments are uncalled for. I will respond to them nonetheless.

First of all, AMSOIL is a company, not a lubricant. The only lubricant rated for a 15,000 mile drain interval in this car is the Signature Series oil. Had he exceed the oil life monitor's recommendation on AMSOIL's OE oil, the repair would be his liability. He is responsible for using the correct lubricant and its correct service interval. He did not specify which lubricant he used, and as far as I can tell, he is not one of my customers either, so I am at no obligation to handle his claim for him. I can help if necessary, but I am not required to.

Many have noticed my absence in many other threads, as my life has become more busy lately. My wife is having our second child and is due in September, so I've been busy making preparations for that in addition to doing work on our house. I haven't been active on this forum across the board. Instead of insinuating that I have been ignoring this thread (without any evidence for that matter), had you wanted to see positive results and responses, you would have messaged me privately to notify me of this thread and ensure that I didn't simply miss it. Instead, you assumed that I was ignoring it. You are attacking my integrity and my character, and that is unwarranted and undeserved. I will not tolerate personal attacks on this forum, toward myself or anyone else. We let things slide in R&P occasionally, but this is not R&P.

There is not enough information to suggest that the engine "blew," and there is certainly zero information to suggest that AMSOIL was the cause of whatever failure he is experiencing. You immediately insinuated that AMSOIL was the cause of the failure, which there is absolutely no proof of. As such, you should acknowledge this fact until more information is provided, or I will call you out on spreading misinformation. You cannot say "his engine blew using AMSOIL" and ignore the possibility that the lubricant choice may have had absolutely nothing to do with the failure. We don't even know what exactly happened, and as it was noted previously, the information we do have is not enough to reach a conclusion of any kind. Furthermore, the dealership is not being very forthcoming with regard to details of the failure and its root cause. Until we hear more information on the matter, all we can conclude is that the engine has an issue.

You advised that people should change their oil prior to going to the dealer if they have an issue. This absolutely terrible advice, and I would recommend that anyone reading it ignore it in its entirety. If it is decided by GM's service engineers that the lubricant was the cause of the failure, then the oil must be available to send out for analysis testing to demonstrate that it was out of specification. If that oil is not available, it makes this task impossible, and any remedy you may have wished to take up with the manufacturer of that lubricant is voided.

In order to file and be reimbursed following a warranty claim through AMSOIL, a sample of the oil must be submitted for testing so it can be decided if that oil was defective. A non-defective oil will not cause an issue, and thus far, all analysis reports taken of this lubricant at 15,000 mile intervals (and even in excess of that) indicates that the oil was still doing its job adequately at the time of drain. Your insinuation that the oil caused this failure is unfounded as there does not currently exist an analysis report to indicate that. You are advised to alter the course of your comments on this topic until more information can be provided to prove the root cause of this problem.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
So Robby thanks for your input, Extreme you as well, and congrats on the upcoming addition.

As I have many miles on other engines with AMSOIL as I stated before I believe in the oil. Currently I have 4 cars with close to 900.000 miles, just selling 1 with 310.000 which would have but t hat @ 1.2 million miles, I do maintain them, as I have stated not precisily as I should have. which is why I use a better oil than most. I accumulate some 60k per year on the cars combined.

I do have a couple pictures I will post which to me look like a bearing failure. but still yes "Blueing" or even bearing failure is caused by no lubricant, an oil light never came on, but as we all know you can not trust an idiot light. The car never used oil, oil consumtion was not an issue.

I have used 5-30 SS oil in it with Wix filters, excpt for the last change which was a fram filter.

Currently the Dealer is referring me to the GM process for challenging the claim. They are on my list to call today.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts