Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

My Cruze not only has to have the water pump replaced due to leaking and spilling coolant all over the place, now phone call from dealership shows that my engine oil cooler is leaking as well. That's right, four year old; 62,000 mile; still under powertrain warranty Cruze is in need of repair that is not covered under warranty. I am confused by this. From my understanding, the part is bolted to the engine block and part of the powertrain but conveniently left of the warranty.

The quote of the repair is over one thousand dollars. I called Chevrolet to speak to someone about this. I was referred to a Senior advisor for further review and told to expect call back within three days. Dealership called me today to let me know Chevrolet Senior Advisor had contacted them and told them this is not a covered part and do not repair under warranty.

This is unacceptable from Chevrolet. I see that I am not the only Cruze owner to face this issue, evidenced by the dealership having this part in stock. Seems as though they replace these often. Funny that my 1998 Tahoe still has the original engine oil cooler on it TWENTY years later. I know they can get things right but have not done so on the Cruze. The water pump has a special warranty coverage( SB-10057265-3557.pdf) the same reason. I own five Chevrolets from 1955 model up to my current 2014, I guess my loyalty means nothing. I recently sold a 14 year old Honda Civic ( I'm Chevy loyal but needed that good gas mileage and chevy has nothing to rival Honda's MPG) that I didn't really like but after 170,000 miles the most we had done to it was suggested maintenace (replace timing belt and such).
I sold that Honda to purchase a Chevrolet and what do I get? A broke down car 4 years into ownership of this model. I take my car in to dealership for all oil changes and required maintenance.

Chevrolet Senior Rep called as I was typing this out. So sorry you aren't covered. Nothing we can do. Not our problem. Water pump has special coverage (part that bolts to engine block) but they stopped covering Oil Cooler (another part that bolts to engine block) part after 2012 and unfortunetly the oil cooler was written out of the warranty starting with the 2013 models. So after knowing they had to replace these often on the 2011 and 2012 models they wrote this part out of the 2013 and later models instead of correcting the issue the oil cooler obviously has.

Why do they even have someone doing this job? Same thing the dealer could have told me and did when they called me in the first place. Was hoping Chevrolet would have more insight and possible solution to such a major component of the powertrain failure.

Guess the upgrade I was looking into won't be a Chevrolet which saddens me because I have loved my Cruze these past four years (although a more powerful engine for merging onto the highway would be nice).

Ticked at Chevrolet today and probably will be for awhile.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Sorry to hear about your issues. For others that may find this thread there is a youtube video showing replacement of the oil cooler seals. There's coolant that goes through this. If it's leaking coolant or oil at the oil cooler, vs. the actual cooler you might be able to go to another dealer and try to get it covered under seals and gaskets.

However, put your sweet happy face on.. No service adviser is going to even remotely attempt to help bend the rules with a rant.

Yes GM Customer Service direct is a member of the forum, and you could PM them.

Try an independent mechanic if you have to have this done out of pocket. Guessing by your user name you might be female, and honestly I think even the dealer is high on this repair. Part is $125, but I think the turbo does have to come out to do this, and that might pay 5-6 hours. At $125 per hour that's $500-$600 in labor..

Good luck..

Reactions: obermd

·
Registered
254 Posts
I would take it to a different dealer. Should all be covered under powertrain warranty. They still consider the seals part of the oil lubrication system. Push harder at them for it. It doesn't cover the cooler, but does cover lines/hoses. I would argue the fact that the gaskets are a connection like a hose. You aren't needing a whole cooler replaced, only the connecting seals.

I had to push to get my oil feed line for the turbo covered. Guy wouldn't even look it up to verify if it was covered or not. What do you know, was covered. These service writers think they know everything and don't like to look things up each time when things change.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I should be covered since it is the seal where the cooler meets the block and not the cooler itself.
If for some reason it is impossible to get them to cover it under warranty take the car to a reputable independent shop that will be far cheaper.
$1,000 to replace the whole cooler when it is only a seal is highway robbery.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Chiltons Professional online labor guide shows 2.5 hours for removal of the oil cooler for a 1.4L engine. It also shows the procedure. Disconnecting the cat from the turbo and the bottom flange on the car.

They are lifting and lowering the car nearly 5 times to access bolts and remove hoses, but it looks like it can come out without physical removal of the turbo.

Very tight though as shown in the pictures. The oil feed line to the turbo is removed allready, at what point is it worth removing the coolant and oil return to engine lines from the turbo and the turbo itself.

Seems like the book is actually showing the fastest way, but I think you'd really have to rush to get it done in 2.5 hours. I can see a shop adding a little to that for replacement of the seals, and maybe another hour due to learning curve. 4-5 hours maybe.. Times $125/hour. I bet it's $500-$600 in just labor. The three gaskets can be obtained for about $35.00.

If a shop is adding the oil cooler time to the turbo time then it's possible that they are coming up with $1000 in labor.

Call around.. The shop you went to probably hasn't done this before. Sure they will do it, but they are quoting you their learning time.

Since the original poster has not updated this thread maybe it's dead. For others that find this thread wondering the details check the Youtube video by "Ruva Cruze oil cooler seals" Looks pretty close to the procedure, except they get at all the hoses and supports without removing the actual turbo.

·
Registered
589 Posts
That should be covered under power train warranty! The turbo cooling line on mine started leaking last summer and they covered it, about the same IMO.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Seals can fail after 4 years even if the car has 62 miles or 62000 miles. Seal repairs can be expensive too. The factory has discretion to pay for whatever noncovered repair or portion and can do so retroactively sometimes. Maybe seals can actually be covered for the OPs cruze even if new pump(s) wouldnt be covered.
Also some shops/dealers have available yearly budget to cover bs like this for their preferred non obnoxious customers. you can be that customer if you attend my clinic.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts