Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Has anyone done this? Mine is leaking and the dealer wants almost $1,000 replace it, so I'm ordering parts and doing it myself. From all the pics I could find in and around that area, it doesn't look like to bad of a job. I would just like to hear if anyone else has done this. Are there any torque to yield bolts I'll need to replace or special tools. I have external torx sockets. Any help will be appreciated.
Thanks.
Car has 104,xxx miles on it and out of warranty. I should've mentioned that earlier.

·
Super Moderator
5,535 Posts
Not with 104k on it......powertrain is over.

OP.....I'm sorry... I cannot provide any useful info.....seems like you are the first with this failure.

Rob

·
Premium Member
242 Posts
Here are the steps in my service manual for a 1.4L LUH or LUJ engine.

REMOVAL

1) Disconnect battery negative cable. Refer to Battery Negative Cable Disconnection and Connection .
2) Drain engine coolant. Refer to Cooling System Draining and Filling
3) Remove the turbocharger oil feed pipe. Refer to Turbocharger Oil Feed Pipe Replacement .
4) Remove the warm up three way catalytic converter. Refer to Warm Up Three-Way Catalytic Converter Replacement .
5) Lower vehicle.
6) Remove the air cleaner outlet duct. Refer to Air Cleaner Outlet Duct Replacement .
2371623.png
7) Remove the oil cooler outlet hose clamp (2).
8) Remove the oil cooler outlet hose (3) from the thermostat housing (1).
2371624.png
9) Remove the turbocharger coolant return pipe bolt (1) from the oil cooler housing.
10) Remove the turbocharger coolant return pipe clamp (2).

Note: Do not move the turbocharger coolant return pipe too much. An excessive moving of the turbocharger coolant return pipe could cause leakage.

11) Remove the turbocharger coolant return pipe (3) from the oil cooler inlet pipe.
12) Disconnect the oil pressure indicator switch wiring harness plug.
2371629.png
13) Remove the oil cooler inlet hose clamp (1) and remove the oil cooler inlet hose from the water outlet.
14) Remove the engine oil cooler bolt (5).
15) Remove the engine oil cooler inlet pipe bolt (4).
16) Remove the engine oil cooler inlet pipe (2) and the seal ring (3).
17) Raise vehicle.
2371625.png
18) Remove the oil cooler outlet pipe bolt (1) from the engine block.
19) Remove the oil cooler outlet pipe (2) in compound with the oil cooler outlet hose.
20) Lower vehicle.
2371626.png
21) Remove the 2 oil cooler bolts (1).
22) Raise vehicle.
2371627.png
23) Remove the oil cooler (1) in compound with the oil cooler gasket (2) and the seal ring (3).
24) Remove the oil pressure indicator switch from the oil cooler.

INSTALLATION

1) Install the oil pressure indicator switch to the oil cooler. Use a NEW seal ring.

Caution: Refer to Fastener Caution in the Preface section.

2) Tighten the oil pressure indicator switch to 20 N·m (15 lb ft).
2371627.png
3) Clean the sealing surfaces.
4) Install the oil cooler (1) in compound with a NEW oil cooler gasket (2) and a NEW seal ring (3).
5) Lower vehicle.
2371626.png
6) Install the 2 oil cooler bolts (1) and hand tighten.
2371629.png
7) Install the engine oil cooler inlet pipe (2) in compound with a NEW seal ring (3).
8) Install the oil cooler inlet hose to the water outlet and install the oil cooler inlet hose clamp (1).
9) Install the engine oil cooler bolt (5).
10) Install the engine oil cooler inlet pipe bolt (4) and tighten to 10 N·m (89 lb in).
11) Tighten the 3 engine oil cooler bolts to 20 N·m (15 lb ft).
2371624.png
12) Install the turbocharger coolant return pipe (3) to the oil cooler inlet pipe.
13) Install the turbocharger coolant return pipe clamp (2).
14) Install turbocharger coolant return pipe bolt (1) and tighten to 10 N·m (89 lb in).
15) Connect the oil pressure indicator switch wiring harness plug.
16) Raise vehicle.
2371625.png
17) Install the oil cooler outlet pipe (2) in compound with the oil cooler outlet hose to the oil cooler.
18) Install the oil cooler outlet pipe bolt (1) to the engine block and tighten to 10 N·m (89 lb in).
19) Install the warm up three way catalytic converter. Refer to Warm Up Three-Way Catalytic Converter Replacement .
2371623.png
20) Install the oil cooler outlet hose (3) to the thermostat housing (1).
21) Install the oil cooler outlet hose clamp (2).
22) Install the air cleaner outlet duct. Refer to Air Cleaner Outlet Duct Replacement .
23) Install the turbocharger oil feed pipe and the exhaust manifold heat shield. Refer to Turbocharger Oil Feed Pipe Replacement .
24) Connect battery negative cable. Refer to Battery Negative Cable Disconnection and Connection .
25) Fill engine coolant. Refer to Cooling System Draining and Filling .

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sorry I don't know how to get the pictures on here, but here are the steps in my service manual for a 1.4L LUH or LUJ engine.

REMOVAL

1) Disconnect battery negative cable. Refer to Battery Negative Cable Disconnection and Connection .
2) Drain engine coolant. Refer to Cooling System Draining and Filling
3) Remove the turbocharger oil feed pipe. Refer to Turbocharger Oil Feed Pipe Replacement .
4) Remove the warm up three way catalytic converter. Refer to Warm Up Three-Way Catalytic Converter Replacement .
5) Lower vehicle.
6) Remove the air cleaner outlet duct. Refer to Air Cleaner Outlet Duct Replacement .
7) Remove the oil cooler outlet hose clamp (2).
8) Remove the oil cooler outlet hose (3) from the thermostat housing (1).
9) Remove the turbocharger coolant return pipe bolt (1) from the oil cooler housing.
10) Remove the turbocharger coolant return pipe clamp (2).

Note: Do not move the turbocharger coolant return pipe too much. An excessive moving of the turbocharger coolant return pipe could cause leakage.

11) Remove the turbocharger coolant return pipe (3) from the oil cooler inlet pipe.
12) Disconnect the oil pressure indicator switch wiring harness plug.
13) Remove the oil cooler inlet hose clamp (1) and remove the oil cooler inlet hose from the water outlet.
14) Remove the engine oil cooler bolt (5).
15) Remove the engine oil cooler inlet pipe bolt (4).
16) Remove the engine oil cooler inlet pipe (2) and the seal ring (3).
17) Raise vehicle.
18) Remove the oil cooler outlet pipe bolt (1) from the engine block.
19) Remove the oil cooler outlet pipe (2) in compound with the oil cooler outlet hose.
20) Lower vehicle.
21) Remove the 2 oil cooler bolts (1).
22) Raise vehicle.
23) Remove the oil cooler (1) in compound with the oil cooler gasket (2) and the seal ring (3).
24) Remove the oil pressure indicator switch from the oil cooler.

INSTALLATION

1) Install the oil pressure indicator switch to the oil cooler. Use a NEW seal ring.

Caution: Refer to Fastener Caution in the Preface section.

2) Tighten the oil pressure indicator switch to 20 N·m (15 lb ft).
3) Clean the sealing surfaces.
4) Install the oil cooler (1) in compound with a NEW oil cooler gasket (2) and a NEW seal ring (3).
5) Lower vehicle.
6) Install the 2 oil cooler bolts (1) and hand tighten.
7) Install the engine oil cooler inlet pipe (2) in compound with a NEW seal ring (3).
8) Install the oil cooler inlet hose to the water outlet and install the oil cooler inlet hose clamp (1).
9) Install the engine oil cooler bolt (5).
10) Install the engine oil cooler inlet pipe bolt (4) and tighten to 10 N·m (89 lb in).
11) Tighten the 3 engine oil cooler bolts to 20 N·m (15 lb ft).
12) Install the turbocharger coolant return pipe (3) to the oil cooler inlet pipe.
13) Install the turbocharger coolant return pipe clamp (2).
14) Install turbocharger coolant return pipe bolt (1) and tighten to 10 N·m (89 lb in).
15) Connect the oil pressure indicator switch wiring harness plug.
16) Raise vehicle.
17) Install the oil cooler outlet pipe (2) in compound with the oil cooler outlet hose to the oil cooler.
18) Install the oil cooler outlet pipe bolt (1) to the engine block and tighten to 10 N·m (89 lb in).
19) Install the warm up three way catalytic converter. Refer to Warm Up Three-Way Catalytic Converter Replacement .
20) Install the oil cooler outlet hose (3) to the thermostat housing (1).
21) Install the oil cooler outlet hose clamp (2).
22) Install the air cleaner outlet duct. Refer to Air Cleaner Outlet Duct Replacement .
23) Install the turbocharger oil feed pipe and the exhaust manifold heat shield. Refer to Turbocharger Oil Feed Pipe Replacement .
24) Connect battery negative cable. Refer to Battery Negative Cable Disconnection and Connection .
25) Fill engine coolant. Refer to Cooling System Draining and Filling .
Awesome,thanks. Could you email the pics to me? I pmed you my email address.

·
Premium Member
242 Posts
Snowvette, if you are able to get the pictures figured out (or would mind taking a few of your own), I would love to add this to the how-to database on the forum.
I added the service manual pictures as attachments to my original post. The manual says copyright Chevrolet, not sure if that matters or not.

·
Resident Forum Drunkard
9,280 Posts
Well any who ..OP if ya need to have that performed properly I am off for the next 2 days ..I don't accept alchohol as payment !

Reactions: snowvette

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks guy's! The last time I ordered parts from Rockauto, they took 6 days to get to me so it will at least take that long for me to do this. I'm going to stop by the dealer on the way home and see if I can't get the parts there for a reasonable price. I've bought a lot of stuff from them in the past and used to get decent prices. When and if I do this I want to have all the parts and tools needed to get it done. I don't want to have do have the car down waiting on a part I didn't order. My other vehicle only gets 15 mpg and I comute 100 miles a day.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well I ended taking it to the dealer and the crank seal is leaking to. These car are absolute garbage.

·
Chevrolet Customer Assistance Representative
5,722 Posts
Well I ended taking it to the dealer and the crank seal is leaking to. These car are absolute garbage.
Hey Snowvette,

We truly apologize for this outcome after taking your Cruze into the dealership. We understand that unexpected vehicle concerns can be disheartening, and we would be happy to provide any additional assistance if necessary. We wold never want a negative experience to come from your Cruze ownership. We hope that you have a Happy New Year, and we look forward to your updates.

Patsy G
Chevrolet Customer Care

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Hey Snowvette,

We truly apologize for this outcome after taking your Cruze into the dealership. We understand that unexpected vehicle concerns can be disheartening, and we would be happy to provide any additional assistance if necessary. We wold never want a negative experience to come from your Cruze ownership. We hope that you have a Happy New Year, and we look forward to your updates.

Patsy G
Chevrolet Customer Care
It just seems ironic all these leaks developed right after the warranty ran out.

·
Chevrolet Customer Assistance Representative
5,722 Posts
It just seems ironic all these leak developed right after the warranty ran out.
I understand, and we certainly do apologize for this. Please let me know if you need any additional assistance with anything.

Patsy G
Chevrolet Customer Care

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
They called a little while ago, it needs trans cooler lines also. Feel free to pm me with any assistance you can offer. The bill keeps getting bigger.

·
Premium Member
242 Posts
They called a little while ago, it needs trans cooler lines also. Feel free to pm me with any assistance you can offer. The bill keeps getting bigger.
I've said this before on here, but do not take anyone's, especially a dealer's/mechanic's, word for something "needing" to be done because they make money from doing these services, so of course it "needs" to be done. Tell them you want to be shown the issues, and will decide after your own inspection. I'd hate to see you ripped off on transmission lines that were only showing patina, or anything else similar.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I should have my last post different. I knew one line was leaking and the line is around $30. They called and said the other line is seeping and should be changed also. I said okay, how much more will that be? He said $389. I know those lines are held in but one bolt each and two quick connections.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts