Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So some backstory, a few weeks ago my Cruze was poring oil into the intercooler, I'd burn 1/2 quart of oil to drive 30 miles to work. Took it in to the dealer and they changed the turbo. All is good or so I think, I decided to check my oil a few days later cause I had my hood up and it's 2.5 quarts low!! Took it back in to get the diagnostic of cracked piston rings. They said that they'd get them changed out, to only a few days later them saying that I'm getting a new engine because of scored cylinder walls. Got my Cruze back last Saturday with a brand new engine. Like everything looked all nice and new. For the past few days I've noticed oil on my driveway, decided to look under there because I thought some residual oil shouldn't take this long to blow off everything. Nope, it for sure is leaking from the rear driver's side, I stopped into my dealer today and they were like we're putting you in a loaner now, they didn't want to risk messing up a new engine.

So backstory out of the way, I thought a new engine is completely built and shipped to dealer, minus the accessories, like how is a brand new engine leaking? And second question, what is over there that would leak oil?

·
2,170 Posts
Gaskets can be fickle. Hopefully you get it back in leak free condition soon.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Unless it's running down/over from somewhere else, driver's side is the "rear" of the engine. Cruze has been known to leak from the oil pan/block seam. Hope they get it straightened out - pity your dealer for putting so much into your car already!

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah hopefully it is just a gasket, I can't imagine a new engine leaking already. And yeah, you're right, soooooo much money already put into fixing an oil leak lol. Before I left, he did mention that it was coming from the top of the engine and leaking downward. When I saw the drips on my driveway they looked like dirty oil so I was thinking tranny fluid since the engine oil is new and clean.

·
Registered
215 Posts
ATF is a possibility, too - not sure of seal or cooler line routing on the automatics. It'd be a fluke if a brand new engine was leaking enough right off the bat to make a spot on the ground. Mine has 80K and is just barely letting out enough vapor around the VC to gather dust with a little more around one of the cam phasers. That'll be on my list at 100K.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts