Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had my 2011 cruze in to the dealer for an oil change and other maintenance. When I picked up the car it almost immediately started running rough before effectively dying about 2-3 miles down the road. Lots of smoke from the tailpipe. After having the car towed back, they find that the problem was that the oil had been overfilled. They corrected the level and the car appears to be running fine, but are there any long-term issues I should watch for or get checked by another shop?

Thanks

·
Registered
589 Posts
Sounds like you caught it almost immediately and had it towed back. I'd say if everything sounds and runs good now your OK.

·
Super Moderator
7,804 Posts
Sounds like you caught it almost immediately and had it towed back. I'd say if everything sounds and runs good now your OK.
I concur.

To the op, you played this well.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Make sure it's annotated in your Chevy profile at the dealership. Did they check for blow by? Check the PCV?

Other than that, it should be fine. You didn't go far enough to cause serious damage, maybe.

As long as it's annotated you may have a case to get your cats or emissions system fixed if you pull a CEL in the near future. Highly unlikely but there is always that chance.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Make sure you get that documented, including a receipt/work order that indicates dealer was at fault for overfilling the oil, and subsequent running rough, stall, and tow back. Afterwards I'd contact GM corporate and fill them in on the items so if/when your engine has additional issues, this can be used as leverage or reasons for getting a proper fix for the problem.

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,486 Posts
Watch out for any catalytic converter codes from being filled with oil. If there is damage, you'll see it sooner rather than later (or a lack of power).

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks to everyone for the response! To update, two days after I got the car back, the engine malfunction light came on. I had it diagnosed at another dealer and the oil had damaged the PCV sensors which had to be replaced. Here's hoping that is all.

·
Banned
260 Posts
Depending on how much it was over filled I'd also keep an eye out for oil leaks,
common for seals to have been damaged due to over filling conditions?

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
Thanks to everyone for the response! To update, two days after I got the car back, the engine malfunction light came on. I had it diagnosed at another dealer and the oil had damaged the PCV sensors which had to be replaced. Here's hoping that is all.
Thanks for the update. I am pleasantly surprised that a second dealer fixed a first dealer's mistake. Usually the second dealer will not touch something like this.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Id seafoam your intake. Your Intake Manifold is probably coated in oil.
Interestingly, my intake manifold was also replaced, the dealer deemed that not related to the oil overfill (which is good since it was covered under warranty), but who knows.

Since I got it back from that, I've been playing whack-a-mole with the Engine Malfunction Light, I fear that this overfill may have unleashed the Gremlins :-(

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
Interestingly, my intake manifold was also replaced, the dealer deemed that not related to the oil overfill (which is good since it was covered under warranty), but who knows.

Since I got it back from that, I've been playing whack-a-mole with the Engine Malfunction Light, I fear that this overfill may have unleashed the Gremlins :-(
Hopefully you get it sorted under warranty. There will come a point where the stuff that was damaged will reveal itself and get replaced, with no further problems. Best of luck to you. This is an extremely frustrating situation.

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
Good luck to you and keep all your paper work.

I don't understand why filling the oil with 4.25 quarts is so hard. My dealer overfilled mine a couple of years ago not by much it was still under 5 quarts and did not do any damage but really why is it so hard.

I have done my own oil changes since then. The oil container I use from amsoil have the markings and a site line with the .25 markings all the way through a quart. Same container I gave to the dealer. Pretty easy to measure out .25.

Pretty simple to do the oil changes on the gen1's. It is almost harder to get the old oil up to the local gas station to dispose of it without spilling than it is changing the oil.

I hope your problems get ironed out.

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Don't seem to have this problem, pour in four quarts, take it off the ramps on level ground, start the engine, let it run for a couple of minutes, let it settle, then top it off to the full mark.

Also save 40 bucks, this is what my dealers around here want extra for dexos, but to maintain your warranty, can't use anything else. Can also get this little chore done faster than I can drive to my dealers, they also do not spray all those rubber suspension points with silicone.

Oil filter is replaced with a new Delco, caught my dealer not even doing this or using a dirty container when using bulk oil. Ha, watch You Only Live Twice by putting a hair on the door, here on the oil filter cap, was still there. And are they really putting dexos in it?

In older dealerships, could see what they were doing, now lock you up in a waiting room. Ha, wasn't born paranoid, but sure became this way.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts