Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted this in my build thread as well, so mods forgive me. I just wanted some more visibility and hopefully some help with this. Here's the issue:
:blowup:

I regret to inform anyone reading that my Cruze has decided to die.

I am very upset and concerned about the health of my beloved Cruze.

I was on the highway headed up the mountains for Mother's Day - perfect timing - and my car began to overheat. The needle would jump immediately to the full red/hot line, then jump back down to the middle (normal), then shoot back up to full high again. Everything would start lighting up on the DIC: Idle Engine, Overheated, AC Off, Service Traction Control, Change Engine Oil Soon, Service Stabilitrak, etc. I pulled over immediately to assess on the side of the road, and then to a gas station. I know I recently changed my coolant when I wrapped the turbo manifold, but haven't had any issues like this since then. No leaks, nothing. Perfect fill of Dexcool and water, even a little Redline Water Wetter to keep things cool...

I would wait 20min or so, let everything cool down, pop the coolant cap and let the pressure out, and it would seem like there was now no coolant in the system. I had some leftover Dexcool and distilled water in the trunk, so I would top it off and then get to driving again. 10min later, the whole thing would happen all over again. This happened maybe two more times, and then finally when I went to try turning the engine back on after about 45min of just sitting on the side of the road, the engine wouldn't crank.

Now the car was dead. Three sheets to the wind.

I made sure all electrical stuff was connected, made sure I had good voltage on the battery, but no matter what I did, the Cruze wouldn't start. A snow storm and 3 hours later, I had it towed to the nearest Chevrolet dealership. We'll see what they say in the morning. Meanwhile, I'm without a car to get to work or anything, so I'm incredibly stressed.

Any thoughts on the overheating issue and then subsequent not-starting of the engine?

I read that the 2011 Cruze had a recall on the water pump that was causing a coolant leak. I'm hoping/wondering if that will be the same issue as mine so they can fix it quickly. Otherwise, I really hope whatever is wrong is covered under my warranty. I only have 46,000 miles on it, and I've never had a single issue with this car and I love it. I'm just really worried now.:blowup:

·
Registered
990 Posts
Sounds like you had air in the system when you added the coolant was the engine running? Check the oil also when you try to start oh how does it sound?

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sounds like you had air in the system when you added the coolant was the engine running? Check the oil also when you try to start oh how does it sound?
Yea, can't check any of those things; my car was taken by a tow truck to the dealership.

I didn't check the oil, good call - however, I had recently changed the oil and was not aware of any leaks.

Maybe I had air in the system, not sure. But how badly it may have now damaged my engine, I don't know...

·
Registered
990 Posts
You have a 95% chance it won't be covered on the PW

·
Premium Member
2,821 Posts
Dang that does not sound good. Let us know what the diagnosis turns out to be. Good Luck.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Premium Member
2,859 Posts
Im sure itll be covered just one thing... when you got the oil change was it done at your dealer or local shop? just curious

·
Premium Member
7,804 Posts
Your tuned and since it went in as a no start GM should request the pcm scan
If that tune causes an overboost, that may void the warranty. Or if you've had the heads off.

Bottom line, GM is going to want to know what went wrong - and if any of work done on the car played a role in it.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Im sure itll be covered just one thing... when you got the oil change was it done at your dealer or local shop? just curious
I always do my own oil changes. I keep receipts of all purchases though. I don't like other people doing my oil changes.

Your tuned and since it went in as a no start GM should request the pcm scan
If that tune causes an overboost, that may void the warranty. Or if you've had the heads off.

Bottom line, GM is going to want to know what went wrong - and if any of work done on the car played a role in it.
Well guys, I'm in luck and hopefully you're both wrong in the end. They already called me this morning and said it will all be covered under the factory powertrain 100k warranty.

They said since it was overheated so much, it warped the heads and they need to take it all apart to see what's going on. No mention of any "mods" I've done (wow, silicone tubing and painting the exhaust/turbo manifold) causing problems. Besides they have to prove that those mods DIRECTLY contributed to the problem.

They're even going to pay for me to be in a rental car. In fact, I'm getting a Camaro :)

I have never had the heads off, and my tune is perfectly solid safe. Had it for 2+ years with no problem. It doesn't overboost.

·
Premium Member
7,804 Posts
They said since it was overheated so much, it warped the heads and they need to take it all apart to see what's going on.
Yikes. I sure hope they find what happened. That's scary.

I know overheating a small engine is bad news, but I really don't like that the temp gauge seems to hide things from us.

Hope it works out for you.

·
Registered
990 Posts
Your Lucky you took it to a dealer that doesn't check. My dealer did when I had my trans replaced. Also note they should also reflash the pcm. So make sure the shop that tuned it offers to retune it once finished at the dealer

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
16,595 Posts
man i work for a buick gmc dealer and there isnt a way for us or gm to check if its tuned or not
Yes they can.

OP, if your car ever starts overheating, NEVER try to continue on your way. Stop and call a tow truck. Aluminum heads don't take kindly to getting too hot.

·
Registered
990 Posts
man i work for a buick gmc dealer and there isnt a way for us or gm to check if its tuned or not

Im not sure what you do at that dealer but I hope your not a tech. But I've worked on and off for GM ,Toyota and it's a way to check with every manufacturer.

·
Registered
990 Posts
Let us know what they find to be the cause

·
Premium Member
7,804 Posts
Sigh - one thing I'm missing about the old rattle trap already - it had a big red light that told me when the coolant was low. Alerted me to problems LONG before it became an overheat issue.

The sensor? Nothing more than a wire stuck into the radiator. Never failed, never a false.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
OP, if your car ever starts overheating, NEVER try to continue on your way. Stop and call a tow truck. Aluminum heads don't take kindly to getting too hot.
Yea, exactly, I know. I've had overheating issues on some prior cars, but I'm talking solid cast iron block and heads (5.9l Jeep), etc. I am sure my current Cruze heads are toast and need replacement...

Your Lucky you took it to a dealer that doesn't check. My dealer did when I had my trans replaced. Also note they should also reflash the pcm. So make sure the shop that tuned it offers to retune it once finished at the dealer
I already spoke with my tuner and he is aware of this situation. We will get back together after the repairs are complete to see about the ECU... I am really hoping and praying I can get everything taken care of under warranty. I certainly didn't do anything to cause this problem. The only thing I could have done better is probably not continue to drive any farther on an engine that keeps overheating.

Let us know what they find to be the cause
Absolutely. Might be a week or two though.

Also, why did you need a new tranny? And they flashed you back to stock? Did they even cover your repairs under the factory warranty?

·
Registered
990 Posts
Yea, exactly, I know. I've had overheating issues on some prior cars, but I'm talking solid cast iron block and heads (5.9l Jeep), etc. I am sure my current Cruze heads are toast and need replacement...

I already spoke with my tuner and he is aware of this situation. We will get back together after the repairs are complete to see about the ECU... I am really hoping and praying I can get everything taken care of under warranty. I certainly didn't do anything to cause this problem. The only thing I could have done better is probably not continue to drive any farther on an engine that keeps overheating.

Absolutely. Might be a week or two though.

Also, why did you need a new tranny? And they flashed you back to stock? Did they even cover your repairs under the factory warranty?
one of the techs gave me the heads up and let me flash it back before sending the info back to GM to cover the trans. I still had e85 in the tank when they did a fuel sample for a stored lean code.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
one of the techs gave me the heads up and let me flash it back before sending the info back to GM to cover the trans. I still had e85 in the tank when they did a fuel sample for a stored lean code.
Lucky you. Were you tuned for the e85 too?

Back when I had my WRX, the engine threw a rod and basically destroyed the entire short block. The Subaru dealer was being a little difficult at first, saying unless I could prove all of my oil changes, they might not cover it under warranty. Long story short, oil documentation provided and THREE engine "repairs" later, they finally just swapped an entire brand new short block in it.

I'm really hoping I have a pleasant experience with my Cruze repairs at the Chevrolet dealership. They come highly recommended (sales and service). And I'm thinking that the Subaru dealer on average saw a lot more people who messed up their WRXs and STi's and came in for warranty or service work.

Anyways, if my heads are warped, I'm guessing they will be replacing the heads and everything else that might need to go with it. If it overheated that much, I'm wondering if the short block suffered any damage...

1 - 20 of 39 Posts