Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today while my fiancee was on her way to work she called me to let me know her car was overheating so she turned on the heater. Even with the heater on, about every 30 seconds or so her car would overheat saying "AC off due to high engine temp." (this is while her heater is on, not her AC but heater was blowing cold air) about 30 seconds of that, the temp would drop again and the notification would go away and the heater got a bit warmer when it cooled off (not hot like it should be, but not cold). When she got home I went with her to the bank and on our way out of the bank it came up as "Engine overheated - Idle engine" and we pulled into a parking lot. We popped the hood and there was NO heat coming off the engine (which seems strange, since even a car running normal temps would put off heat). The oil looked pretty normal other than the fact that the dipstick was covered with oil to the top, the coolant reservoir looked almost completely empty, and the hose leading to the radiator looked wet in a certain spot (Pictures included). About 2 months ago her check engine light came on with a low boost code and a couple days later it went off so I'm not sure if that could be of any help. I'm at a loss.
Auto part Vehicle Engine Car Fuel line Auto part Vehicle Automotive exterior Car Compact car Food Plastic bag Paper Cuisine

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,479 Posts
Fill er up with coolant. Drive around the street, check again.

There's a leak somewhere for sure. Water outlet would be my guess - where the expansion tank hose connects over to.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
Those are the exact symptoms that my friend experienced with her 2015 Cruze LT, 1.4L turbo with 41,000 miles a week ago. The coolant was low so I topped it off for her but then the car overheated again after 3 minutes of driving. The car kept on overheating and losing coolant. I couldn't see where there was a leak. I checked the oil fill cap and saw what looked like yogurt or pudding on the underside of the cap which means coolant in the oil (right?) and then the car wouldn't start. She had the car towed to the dealer and the diagnosis was a warped head and block due to severe overheating. The engine was replaced with a remanufactured engine under the 5yr / 100k mile powertrain warranty. She wasn't given details of what specifically happened other than it was a severe overheat condition (what caused the overheating??) but my friend was so relieved to have the repair covered under warranty that she didn't ask many questions or make a fuss.

Is this a very common issue with the Cruze?

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,479 Posts
Those are the exact symptoms that my friend experienced with her 2015 Cruze LT, 1.4L turbo with 41,000 miles a week ago. The coolant was low so I topped it off for her but then the car overheated again after 3 minutes of driving. The car kept on overheating and losing coolant. I couldn't see where there was a leak. I checked the oil fill cap and saw what looked like yogurt or pudding on the underside of the cap which means coolant in the oil (right?) and then the car wouldn't start. She had the car towed to the dealer and the diagnosis was a warped head and block due to severe overheating. The engine was replaced with a remanufactured engine under the 5yr / 100k mile powertrain warranty. She wasn't given details of what specifically happened other than it was a severe overheat condition (what caused the overheating??) but my friend was so relieved to have the repair covered under warranty that she didn't ask many questions or make a fuss.

Is this a very common issue with the Cruze?
Warped head/destroyed engine? No. That thing was severely overheated.

Coolant leaks? Oh yes, quite common for Cruzes. Check overflow tank often to avoid the first situation happening again.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Warped head/destroyed engine? No. That thing was severely overheated.

Coolant leaks? Oh yes, quite common for Cruzes. Check overflow tank often to avoid the first situation happening again.

Thanks for the input. Yes - According to the dealer work order the engine block was out of spec (.003 of Warpage - Limit is .0019) and head was out of spec (.009 of warpage - Limit is .0019). I'm no mechanic but those numbers seem to indicate a pretty bad amount of warpage?

I suspect that my friend drove the car for more than a few miles in the overheat condition before calling me. When she called me I told her to pull over right away and she said she was only a few miles from home at that point and wanted to keep going.

·
Administrator
2014 LT program car, Pull Me Over Red
12,103 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Blasirl :
Thanks very much for the links!! I will check them out. My parents have a 2014 Cruze and the coolant was low in theirs and lost more coolant after topping off while I was visiting last summer. My father took the car to the dealer and the cooling system was pressure testing but the test did not reveal any leaks. Your "Mysterious coolant loss" link looks like a link I should be checking out first... Thanks!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts