Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone with an Ultragauge, Scangauge or Torque app... anything that utilizes the OBD2 port. Curious, have you ever had your Cruze throw a CEL while the device was actively plugged into the OBD port?

I know my emailed OnStar diagnostics reports are messed up because of the device being plugged in, as I get the following:
Engine and Transmission System
• We were unable to successfully complete a diagnostic test. This issue may be caused by an aftermarket device plugged into your vehicle's diagnostic port.

If I can avoid it, I'd rather not unplug mine as I'm tracking some long-term numbers. But I got to thinking that I would be horrified to learn if this device is blocking CELs from being thrown?? Suppose I'll have to just pull it out to be sure.

Lately I've been experience what apparently is engine pinging, but no CEL. I just had it in the dealership for scheduled tire rotation and inspections, and as I'm at 35,500 miles, I last minute mentioned this rattle/pinging. They couldn't duplicate during the short scheduled visit, but threw in fuel system cleaner and noted it on my history to cover with any warranty work after 36k. I'm supposed to bring it back for a dedicated appointment if it doesn't clear up. They suspected carbon buildup. Which while it seems very early in the life of the engine, I otherwise wouldn't disagree with because I typically drive <2k rpm and seldom run it hard... plus I use convenience store gas, high turnover stations, but nonetheless not Top Tier.

The rattle is mostly at peak torque rpm and much more prevalent on 87 than 93 (almost nonexistent). Actually been noticing for a few months, but in the absence of other symptoms or a CEL, hadn't thought much more of it until recently. I had thought the rattle was the fuel line on firewall TSB that some have issues with... which coincidentally occurs at the same low RPMs as peak torque. Perhaps wrongfully assumed the engine management would be taking care of any knocking. Unfortunately the Ultragauge doesn't display KR, and I can't make any meaningful sense out of the Timing Advance numbers.

So anyway, in the meantime, I'm definitely back to 93 Sunoco/Exxon/Shell fuel. Will probably get it back into the shop within the next week or two as I doubt the bottle of techron they added will do much.

PS - Haven't been around for a while. Hope everyone's doing well. :)

·
Premium Member
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Well, drove home with UG disconnected. About 15mi / 30 min. No CEL. I think that's good news? lol

·
Premium Member
8,003 Posts
I'd imagine that any device like Ultragauge, Scangauge or Torque app works by "pinging" the appropriate computer modules for the values. That would create traffic on the computer bus. It may be that it creates too much traffic for the OnStar unit to do it's own scan. If you have the option, I'd consider lowering the refresh rate and see if that helps.

Reactions: jandree22

·
Premium Member
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Don't have access to a borescope, but after pulling the plugs there's very clearly some carbon buildup on the pistons. It appears 1 & 4 were up and 2 & 3 were down. Consequently I could see more of 2 & 3, and could fortunately see come clean shiny area around the perimeter.

Cyl 1 (yike)

Cyl 3 (Check out this crazy carbon pattern. That's not a camera artifact, it looks like a pixelated qr code to the naked eye)

Here are my BKR7E's with around 11 months / 12k miles on them (installed new). Look pretty good I think? Gap opened from 0.030" to 0.036-0.038". A lot of the "V" is gone, and Cyl 2 had a dark area on the insulator tip. Went back to OEM Iridium Delco 41-121's gapped at 0.028... and honestly they feel fine.

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,207 Posts
There are QR codes on the Pistons, haha. I don't think I'd be too concerned with a bit of light carbon buildup (it's normal), but there are piston and top end cleaners you can put in there that may help matters a bit.

Car will detune itself once it realizes knock is happening on the iridium plugs.

I've heard audible knock once when I was accidentally lugging it up a hill next to a wall.

·
Premium Member
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Some people find secret messages in their alphabet soup, I find them on my engine internals. Maybe I won some kind of sweepstakes. :cool:

Yeah in addition to top tier fuel, I'm going to start running some basic cleaners on more of a regular maintenance basis. I feel like I should seafoam it but that scares me lol.

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,207 Posts
Some people find secret messages in their alphabet soup, I find them on my engine internals. Maybe I won some kind of sweepstakes. :cool:
It's actually an ancient alien code, hidden here long before our ancestors.

It's the language of the Primes!

·
Registered
2,916 Posts

Yeah in addition to top tier fuel, I'm going to start running some basic cleaners on more of a regular maintenance basis. I feel like I should seafoam it but that scares me lol.
water is better than seafoam

1 - 9 of 9 Posts