Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I happened to be speed shifting and instead of going 2-3 it went back into 1. How I don't know, but when I released the clutch, the engine obviously revved up and traction control light came on along with Engine power reduced. So for the next .5 hour I had no power and the engine would not rev over 4K. What a helpless feeling esp in Christmas shopping traffic. The power came back but I still had a check engine on so I disconnected the battery to reset. If you have never experienced Engine power reduced, Let me tell you..........

·
Premium Member
5,535 Posts
Fortunate.......very fortunate.......that is called a 'Money Shift'.......often results in piston assisted valve closure and a lot of 'Money' to undo the mechanical mayhem that ensues.

Consider this a mechanical Christmas present.

Rob

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts
At least the car protected itself. What was an annoyance could have been a seriously expensive repair.

·
Resident Forum Drunkard
9,273 Posts
Now I know that I made the right choice and got an ECO Boosted with an Expensive Automatic Transmission with all of these added bells and whistles to boot even Paddle Shifters on the steering wheel and some sort of Sport Plus Mode and Steering Modes and A bunch of other stuff for Tracking and well .. I'm Cool with that as long as you did not blow yer motor and I certainly won't !

·
Super Moderator
5,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
As Ober said thank goodness the car protected itself from me, I disconnected the battery to reset the check engine and all is back to normal. Surprisingly, all the car memory was still in tack the clock was @ .5 hour slow and the date needed resetting but that is about it. I really need to go back to driving school to learn how to drive a stick again!! LOL If it is taught anymore. I remember back in the 80s seeing a Chevette with a logo on the back. Learn to drive the "Bick Stick" from Bick driving school in Cincinnati. Can't imagine driving a 4 speed Chevette bc the automatic Chevette I took driver training in didn't have enough power to get out of its own way.

·
Super Moderator
7,804 Posts
Money shift.

·
Conservative Acoustic Foam
1,028 Posts
I dont think anyone who drives stick can possibly give you any grief for this. I sure as **** know I've missed a gear in my day. Like you, I have been lucky and caught it before spinning a rod through the block...

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts
I've shifted to second a couple of times by accident, but never to 1st. Fortunately second in the ECO MT will get you to 50+ MPH.

·
Super Moderator
5,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I've shifted to second a couple of times by accident, but never to 1st. Fortunately second in the ECO MT will get you to 50+ MPH.
My son is the one that thinks all downshifting requires going back to 1st gear. That is why he drives moms automatic Malibu. I was upshifting and somehow I went straight up instead of to the right a little to go to 3rd. I am surprised I didn't hear the synchronizers but I was upset since I thought I just lost my cell phone but it was difficult to push up. Turns out I set the phone down at my wife's nail salon.

As Rob said: Consider this a mechanical Christmas present. No more angry driving esp translated into speed shifting. I am just happy the car came back "from the dead".

I did get another present today from Expedia, I bought airfare for my wife to go back to VN to visit her dad for Asian new years Feb 8, and paid 1500 for the tickets I checked today and they went down @ 200 so I was able to cancel and repurchase for the cheaper fare esp when before yesterday they were going for @ $1300. For you those that didn't know it costs a bit to fly to the other side of the world! Ah what I do with money. Me and our son will be going Feb 4 and coming back Feb 20. @1300 a head actually cheaper than previous times I went to VN.

·
Resident Forum Drunkard
9,273 Posts
I just got to thinking ...Patman does your wife Own this Nail shop ?

You Lucky Dawg you !

Reactions: Tomko

·
Super Moderator
7,804 Posts
Vietnamese gals always give me the best manicures.

·
Super Moderator
5,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I just got to thinking ...Patman does your wife Own this Nail shop ?

You Lucky Dawg you !
Wish she did, they make big bucks there!!!! Enough for me to retire. With what she makes I considered leaving my job. Just need my benefits and I am 18 years into retirement where I am at, not in Social Security. I work for Hamilton County Ohio that has their own retirement with the state of Ohio.
And to get Tomko:
Vietnamese gals always give me the best manicures.
Yup they have a corner on that market. She went to nail school after our honeymoon 11 years ago and everyone in the salon is Vietnamese except for their receptionist which is Japanese and the customers.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts