Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

"Engine power reduced" ran out of gas.

20309 Views 10 Replies 7 Participants Last post by  spacedout
As some (although hopefully not many) of you are aware, when you run out of gas in these things the car is less than pleased with you and will cut engine power and generally cause a fuss for the next few hours to punish you for being a idiot and not buying enough gas. Driving this car on "reduced power" is down right painful.... so assuming that you dont have time to hit up the dealership to fix it... what might a weary, (and clearly less than intelligent) traveller do?

Well in my case I drove it around for a few hours hoping that once I had to stop for more gas and had the chance to turn the car off and let it sit with its full tank that it would figure itself out, sadly it didnt and we were forced to continue with limited engine power (sorry people behind me :( ....) What actually fixed it, was starting the engine and driving it around the corner with gas cap completely open. Not sure why this didn't make things worse (usually the engine light comes on to remind you that you are an idiot) but it certainly did.

Moral of the story... if you want your 138 horses back, drive with the gas cap open and she wakes back up. Or just use your brain while travelling (unlike me) and buy gas! Saw a thread about this a while ago and someone went to the dealer.... try this out first people! If that doesnt work and you are Trifecta tuned I would imagine a full reflash would make the engine happy with you again. That was my next step. Hope this can help someone who has a derp moment on their travels :)
Side note... never been so happy to feel those 138 horses in my entire life.... and I nearly cried when I flicked on the tune. Twas glorious.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Premium Member
24,131 Posts
You reset the fuel evaporative control system by driving with the gas cap off. This forced the car to recheck everything to do with the fuel system. Thanks for the tip.

· Premium Member
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Did it by accident actually.... travelling make brain less think. Regardless figured this would be helpful to my fellow Cruzers :)

Reactions: Cruze11’RS-ECO

· Premium Member
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It was funny actually... was driving from Vancouver up to Edmonton but left bone dry so was going to put $20 in the tank.... it was 1.729/L for 91 so I said NOOOPPE Im going to put $15 and get out of this city and buy later when the price goes down (Van has mad expensive gas). Outside of the city on the North end... NOTHING for like 200km haha. Ran out of gas 4kms from our station. Sigh. Tow man shows up and gives me the $5 I should have bought earlier... sigh.

· Premium Member
5,048 Posts
The one time I've done that, the car was fine to go after filling up. Weird that yours wasn't.

· Premium Member
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well she was less than pleased with me. Glad it didnt hose you guys. Lower power makes me unhappy. Had to cruise control to accelerate past 60km/h... at the floor she wouldnt go above 65.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.