Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 20 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a 2011 Chevy Cruze 2yrs ago. Nothing but problems..........less than a yr after purchase my family and I went on vacation. On our way, in the middle of no where at 2am all the electrical signs came on and the engine has a power reduction. Luckily no one was behind us or we would have been hit. Per ONSTAR we turned off the car for a few minutes, system reset and we were advised to get it in for service right away. Upon our return we did just that and they said that there was nothing wrong. Two months later it happened again. Took car in for recall services and explained the situation, again they can't find anything wrong. Today while driving it did it again, service department says they finally found the problem BUT guess what warranty is over so we have to pay for a new throttle and censor. Really funny that they found it after the warranty was over and it only took them 2hrs. All other times they had it for a day or two and couldn't find the problem. I can tell you that Chevy will not get anymore business from me or my family.

·
Administrator
15,742 Posts
I bought a 2011 Chevy Cruze 2yrs ago. Nothing but problems..........less than a yr after purchase my family and I went on vacation. On our way, in the middle of no where at 2am all the electrical signs came on and the engine has a power reduction. Luckily no one was behind us or we would have been hit. Per ONSTAR we turned off the car for a few minutes, system reset and we were advised to get it in for service right away. Upon our return we did just that and they said that there was nothing wrong. Two months later it happened again. Took car in for recall services and explained the situation, again they can't find anything wrong. Today while driving it did it again, service department says they finally found the problem BUT guess what warranty is over so we have to pay for a new throttle and censor. Really funny that they found it after the warranty was over and it only took them 2hrs. All other times they had it for a day or two and couldn't find the problem. I can tell you that Chevy will not get anymore business from me or my family.

If you took the car in for a problem twice and the dealership could not diagnose it while under warranty, they are required to cover the repair as the problem existed before the warranty expired. They were simply incapable of correctly diagnosing the issue.

Call GM customer support and file a case with them if you haven't already. This should have been the first thing for you to do when the dealership failed to correctly resolve the problem the first time.

That said, did you come here to troll, or did you come here to ask for help?

·
Premium Member
6,918 Posts
Call GM customer service, you have documented issue for each time you took it in, they may cover the cost. If that doesn't make you happy I would question why it takes 2 hours to diagnose a trouble code their computer reads from the car, labor should be no where near 2hrs to change a simple senor.

How do you know it was not some other sensor causing the issue before? Just because the throttle position sensor fails now there is no way to prove that was the issue before.

·
Premium Member
5,158 Posts
Isn't the throttle body covered under the powertrain warranty? I'd check to see if it would be.

Recall this car is DBW, so there's a chance the TPS is simply the engine reading the commanded position of the throttle. And a "TPS failure" would mean just replace the durned TB.

·
Chevrolet Customer Assistance Representative
5,722 Posts

mcdoer,
I would like to apologize for the issues that you have experienced with your Cruze. I would like to look into this for you. Can you please send me a PM with your name, address, phone number, VIN, current mileage and the name of your dealer? I look forward to your response.
Thank you,
Stacy Chevrolet Customer Service

·
Registered
1 Posts
Same thing happened to me

I, too, have a 2011 Cruze that we bought new. Last Friday, as I was driving home on a VERY busy major road in our metro area, my car suddenly showed multiple indicator lights and the dash read "reduced engine power" and then powered down. I pulled off before it died, and turned on hazards, grabbed the manual and it said to let it sit off for a few minutes, then restart. It seemed to do ok, so I took off again, but turned onto a residential street so as not to get plowed over if it happened again. It did, twice. I called the dealer, who recommended we have it towed in ($150). They had it the whole day Saturday and said it performed flawlessly and they saw no issues and had us pick it up.

Last night, coming home from work, it did it again. I was closer to home, thankfully and after several re-starts, I got it home. Today, it starts, but the check engine light remains on, and it won't go over 20 mph.

I'm afraid the dealer will say they can't find anything wrong and send it home again. I don't want to have a car that's a dice-roll every day, hoping I don't get plowed over on the road when the engine shuts down the next time. So far I've been lucky, but I don't have nine lives!

Nonetheless I did call the dealer and took it back to them and said not to call me until they identified and fixed the problem. I am NOT a happy camper, mostly because I'm scared it'll do it again in major traffic and cause me to be in an accident.

P.S. We are 1107 miles past our warranty, of course. Hoping and PRAYING power train warranty will cover it.

·
5,722 Posts
I, too, have a 2011 Cruze that we bought new. Last Friday, as I was driving home on a VERY busy major road in our metro area, my car suddenly showed multiple indicator lights and the dash read "reduced engine power" and then powered down. I pulled off before it died, and turned on hazards, grabbed the manual and it said to let it sit off for a few minutes, then restart. It seemed to do ok, so I took off again, but turned onto a residential street so as not to get plowed over if it happened again. It did, twice. I called the dealer, who recommended we have it towed in ($150). They had it the whole day Saturday and said it performed flawlessly and they saw no issues and had us pick it up.

Last night, coming home from work, it did it again. I was closer to home, thankfully and after several re-starts, I got it home. Today, it starts, but the check engine light remains on, and it won't go over 20 mph.

I'm afraid the dealer will say they can't find anything wrong and send it home again. I don't want to have a car that's a dice-roll every day, hoping I don't get plowed over on the road when the engine shuts down the next time. So far I've been lucky, but I don't have nine lives!

Nonetheless I did call the dealer and took it back to them and said not to call me until they identified and fixed the problem. I am NOT a happy camper, mostly because I'm scared it'll do it again in major traffic and cause me to be in an accident.

P.S. We are 1107 miles past our warranty, of course. Hoping and PRAYING power train warranty will cover it.

kcnorth,
I would like to apologize for the issues that you are having with your Cruze. I do understand your concerns as well as frustrations with this. I would like to look into this for you. Can you please send me a PM with your name, address, phone number, VIN, current mileage and the name of your dealer? I look forward to your response.
Thank you,
Stacy Chevrolet Customer Service

·
Registered
3 Posts
Chevvy Cruze "Engine Reduced Power"

I have had a very similar problem to this, about 6 months ago I was nearing the end of a 200 mile drive, having had cruise control on for about the previous 60 miles when several dash warning lights came on and a message came on that said "Engine Reduced Power" and despite pressing the gas pedal and changing gear the car continued to slow down. I pulled over to hard shoulder, turned engine off waited a few minutes and it started again and was ok for rest of journey, except for check engine light on. I took it to dealers next day and they checked it all over and could not find an issue, they also charged me $100 for the time to check it out. The problem did not happen again until yesterday, again I was travelling from Chicago, a journey or approx 500 miles, so i was using cruise control as the roads were not busy after about 300 miles it happened again, this time I noticed a message saying to service Stabilitrak, then the message about engine reduced power. I pulled over and waited a few minutes then continued again, about 50 miles later the same thing, then again after a similar distance, I tried driving for a while without cruise control and the problem did not ocurr, then I put cruise control on and after about 30 miles it did it again. In total 4 times during the trip. Luckily on each time the roads were not busy and there was somewhere to pull over, had that not been the case a serious accident could have resulted. i am about to take it to the dealer today for them to check it out.

·
Reverend Red Bull
1,084 Posts
These problems sound exactly like what I used to get on my 2007 Grand Prix before I traded it in on my Diesel.

Each time the codes read as a throttle position sensor mis-match. The traction control and other lights accompanying it were because those systems were reliant on the throttle system to function. This could have been caused by the pedal/sensor, throttle body, a computer malfunction or any of the wiring that runs between them, and my research showed there was a TSB on water entering an electrical connector. When it wasn't corrected after cleaning and greasing those 2 connectors, the only way to isolate which component was at fault, if there were no obvious visual cues, was to start replacing parts. If all three parts (computer, TB, pedal) were replaced, and it was still happening, then there was a wiring fault between the components. Fortunately for me, after step 1 (clean/grease connector) the Diesel came on the market before I had to start rolling the dice on which $200-400 part to replace first.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Seems To be fixed

I have had a very similar problem to this, about 6 months ago I was nearing the end of a 200 mile drive, having had cruise control on for about the previous 60 miles when several dash warning lights came on and a message came on that said "Engine Reduced Power" and despite pressing the gas pedal and changing gear the car continued to slow down. I pulled over to hard shoulder, turned engine off waited a few minutes and it started again and was ok for rest of journey, except for check engine light on. I took it to dealers next day and they checked it all over and could not find an issue, they also charged me $100 for the time to check it out. The problem did not happen again until yesterday, again I was travelling from Chicago, a journey or approx 500 miles, so i was using cruise control as the roads were not busy after about 300 miles it happened again, this time I noticed a message saying to service Stabilitrak, then the message about engine reduced power. I pulled over and waited a few minutes then continued again, about 50 miles later the same thing, then again after a similar distance, I tried driving for a while without cruise control and the problem did not ocurr, then I put cruise control on and after about 30 miles it did it again. In total 4 times during the trip. Luckily on each time the roads were not busy and there was somewhere to pull over, had that not been the case a serious accident could have resulted. i am about to take it to the dealer today for them to check it out.
OK I took it to the dealer and they diagnosed that the throttle body needed to be replaced, this has been done and so far about 600 miles later it has been OK. They also refunded the $100 from earlier in the year when they didnt find anything. Luckily this was all covered under my extended warranty which only has about 2,000 miles to go

·
Registered
1 Posts
Isn't the throttle body covered under the powertrain warranty? I'd check to see if it would be.

Recall this car is DBW, so there's a chance the TPS is simply the engine reading the commanded position of the throttle. And a "TPS failure" would mean just replace the durned TB.
The throttle body is NOT covered under 5yr/100k (whichever 1st) powertrain warranty. How do I know?

Was driving my 2011 Cruze LT1 yesterday (57k) in awful snowy road conditions in downtown Detroit when "Service Stabilitrak" warning comes on...immediately followed by "Engine Power Reduced"...immediately followed by this: my car's speed reduced to 5mph...on Woodward ave in not the best part of Detroit. NOT cool. Managed not to get rear-ended on poorly plowed slippery roads and turned the car onto side street, turned off ignition, then restarted, and car worked fine. Then 5 minutes later in Highland Park, MI (even worse neighborhood)...same problem, same solution. Was calling dealers who could take me--hoping I could keep turning car off and on if need be--and brought to Matthews-Hargreaves in Royal Oak after the problem did not recur for the next 20 minutes to dealer.

When I got to MH Chevy, I was told by the service assistant that any number of problems trigger these warnings and cut power/gas to engine. He had seen the problem once before: coincidentally, that day. And in that case was a cheap fix to the accelerator. But in my car the diagnosis was a bad Throttle Body and, unfortunately, those are NOT covered by powertrain warranty even though they regulate air intake into engine.

Cost? $403. Labor: $200. Part: $171. Tax: $30+.

So I called Serra Chevrolet where I usually get car serviced and they said labor wasn't much--about $105-120 with exact same part cost--which added insult to injury (oh, and my wife's battery died earlier that day which is why I'd left work early in the first place... to service that!).

Add yesterday's Throttle Body problem to:
-8 months ago: bad engine valve causing overactive Engine Cooling Fan running nonstop. Part was covered under PT warranty.
-3 months ago: battery died. Bad fuel cell. And being that the car is less than 3 years old, AAA doesn't even flag that it would be a bad battery and didn't diagnose correctly when the guy came out in the morning to my house. Then died at work in the evening and AAA admitted that they almost never see this.

My dad just retired from GM but once my Cruze hit 50k+ miles, it's like it's falling apart! What's up, Chevy?!

·
Registered
63 Posts
why pay so much for labour and overpriced parts, rockauto sells the throttle body for less than 100 bucks and i cant see it taking longer than 15-20 minutes to replace it

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just had this very same issue. I bought my 2012 Cruze Eco on 11/17/13, and everything has been great until this morning. I was driving about 40mph to work, and all of a sudden the engine felt like it was gearing down. The check engine and traction control lights came on, then in the message up saying 'Reduced Engine Power'. I couldn't going past 20mph after that. I pulled over, remembered that I left the manual at home, and googled the message and found you all. I turned car off for 5 minutes and it started right back up, but check engine light was still on. I took it straight to the dealership. Later this afternoon they called me to say that not only was the throttle body the culprit, but they also found my water pump leaking. They advised me that since my car is still under warranty, everything is covered and I can pick it up tomorrow afternoon.

You all are very helpful and I have visited this site a few times to find out info on my Cruze. I hope to contribute as much as I can here as well.

·
Registered
152 Posts
My brother- in-law had the same problem on his car.Check engine light,Traction control light and reduced power.Pulled over, disconnected the battery cable for about 5 seconds put it back on and away we went. No problem . Check engine light ,track stability light,and the loss of power all gone.
Now all that problem started when he was at a stop light and when turned green he spun the wheels and jerked the car.

·
Premium Member
4,646 Posts
Funny timing on this thread. My GF's 2011 BMW 3 Series had this EXACT same problem on Saturday morning! She went to leave for work and upon starting the car the dash lit up like a Christmas tree, speed limited to about 20km/h. I had to drive her to work. I read all the DTCs from the OBDII port and three codes were set, all relating to a possible Throttle Position Sensor/Circuit and/or Throttle Body sticking malfunction. It's at the dealership now, still waiting for the call as to what's wrong.

So Cruzers, don't think you're alone or that this is a Chevy issue. It seems any new car with stability control will limit the car's speed if the throttle circuit is sensed to have a malfunction.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have had this same problem. The car check engine light came on, then it said power reduced. Luckily no one was behind me. If I let the car set for a bit, it will start and run OK, but it usually happens at least 2 more times before I gert to work or home. The problem occurs only in the winter when it's damp or foggy and the temperature is at freezing. Last winter it happened twice. I had the car towed to the mechanic, and was told that although the car's computer told him when it happened, it could not be determined WHY it happened. This past Tuesday it was bitter cold outside, and it happened several times on the way to and from work. The next day, when it was warmer outside, it ran fine and continues to...FOR NOW...or until it gets colder again! I asked the dealer if this was a problem anyone else was experiencing and was told NO. Based on what I see from others, I AM NOT ALONE! It is OBVIOUSLY a factory defect, but GM won't offer a recall. I commute about 60 miles to work each way. As a result I have high mileage on the car. It would be nice to not have to watch the weather report to decide if I think the car is safe to drive because it might cold enough to have it happen again. I and my entire family have always bought Chevrolete vehicles. Now I am starting to think my next car may be something else. I am interested to see if GM will answer my posting here, and if so, what they are willing to do to correct an OBVIOUS factory defect.

·
Premium Member
4,646 Posts
I am interested to see if GM will answer my posting here, and if so, what they are willing to do to correct an OBVIOUS factory defect.
Send a PM to Chevy Customer Service, a member here on the forum. They can register your complaint at the GM level (dealerships are privately owned/operated) and push the info down to your local dealer and help you get some action on it.

·
Premium Member
4,646 Posts
My GF's 2011 BMW 3 Series had this EXACT same problem on Saturday morning...
We got the car back on Tuesday evening after the dealer replaced the throttle body assembly. I'm not sure if the issue was caused by an actual throttle sticking condition (frozen) or if it was a Throttle Position Sensor issue. The latter is looking slightly less probable since these complaints are surfacing in a time of cold weather.

Most cars used to have heated throttle bodies with a coolant passage plumbed through them. I just looked at my Eco and the Throttle Body does not appear to be heated, unless it's somehow done with electric heat? Doubtful. It has a composite intake manifold so no heat would get to the TB if it's not heated.

I'll check the GF's BMW as well, it also has a composite intake (Google image search seems to suggest no heated TB on her car). Heated TB's used to be the norm to avoid TB freezing, even my fair-weather Corvette has a heated TB. I'm thinking there may be a relation somehow...

·
5,722 Posts
Hi glm007,

Sorry to hear about the issue that you are experiencing with your Cruze. We can set up a case for you and reach out to the Customer Care Specialist at your dealership. Please send us your name, VIN, mileage and the name of your dealership in a private message.

Jackie
Chevrolet Customer Care

1 - 20 of 90 Posts