Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2012 Chevy cruze RS 1.4L Turbo i bought at the end of 2011.
It had an oil leak coming out of the intake tube leaking to the throttle body, leaking on the transmission filling the cavity with oil and then all over the back of the transmission.
The dealer first replaced the turbo, sent me on my way and within a few 100 miles it was the same leak.
Bought it back in, replaced the intake manafold, few 100 miles same story.
Back in the dealer, replaced the turbo AGAIN intake manifold, PCV and valve cover and sent me on my way, drove from PA to maryland. Drove about 5 hours down there, leaking oil again smoking out the tailpipe (keep in mind it ran great, no drivability issues)
Bring it in again and they tear the motor down replaced the pistons and rings send me on my way. At this time my girlfriends car broke down so i leant her the cruze and i used my spare vehicle (shes a light foot)
She calls me and its the same issue, oil burning leaking and smoking. Awesome maybe less then 100 miles
Bring it back in once again, the look on the face of the tech and manager were speachless. ITS BACK! (apparently they never had such a problem before)
2.5 MONTHS later I have a brand new engine....Runs great. Drove it a few 100 miles and there is a couple drips from the same pipe, oil filled throttle body AGAIN...

I am not sure what to do at this point, im hoping its residual but they claimed they replaced the pipes and intercooler when they replaced the turbo the second time. Anybody have any issues like this?

Ive never had such a lemon before

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
Had my 2012 in today for same issue. They replaced the intake manifold so I will see how this goes. I won't be able to pick it up until Monday. Will keep you updated. BTW I'm at 59k miles with no drivability issues.

·
Administrator
25,088 Posts
OP, I'd guess your dealership hasn't actually called for technical assistance and is instead shooting in the dark. The oil has to be coming from somewhere and it sounds like your dealership has replaced the most likely failure point. This time they need to be calling in the power train engineers. And as to your question, this is NOT a common issue with the 1.4T engine. A little bit of oil in the throttle body is common and apparently normal, you aren't describing "a little bit."

·
Registered
354 Posts
I was moving cups of oil of the stock cruze engine during autocross. The intake manifold has little holes between the intake track and PCV system. So when you get on the boost, it presuizes the crank case. When you drop the throttle, it shoots up the pcv pipe, into the intake, pools around throttle body.

Put JB weld to seal this hole, my oil consumption on autocross days went from several cups an hours to a few teaspoons an hour

·
Premium Member
2,496 Posts
I was moving cups of oil of the stock cruze engine during autocross. The intake manifold has little holes between the intake track and PCV system. So when you get on the boost, it presuizes the crank case. When you drop the throttle, it shoots up the pcv pipe, into the intake, pools around throttle body.

Put JB weld to seal this hole, my oil consumption on autocross days went from several cups an hours to a few teaspoons an hour
Just curious when you autox what vehicles was the Cruze competitive with?

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The dealer "said" they called gm engineering when they replaced the valve cover and intake manifold. They had an engineer come out to make the call for an engine replacement aswell.

I do not understand how it still leaked oil and smoked after the pistons rings and head were replaced... (I left out they replaced the entire head with the pistons and rings)

Keep in mind this is a stock car, i drive it to work and extremely long trips at a time...i dont beat on it..

·
Registered
354 Posts
going to a road course this tuesday, i'll let you know

·
Premium Member
7,786 Posts
Yeah, how you could have this with a whole new engine is a good one. I wonder what came over from the old engine that hasn't been replaced?

·
Registered
990 Posts
Intercooler could be flooded with oil then being sucked up into the intake

·
Premium Member
7,786 Posts
I'm wondering if something funky with the PCV valve could cause oil to be blown into the intake. That's one thing I didn't see replaced. And depending on how stripped down the replacement engine was, it might have been reused.

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Probably since the advent of OBD I over 5,000 engine rebuilders were put out of business. Offered a one year or 12 month free replacement if anything went wrong with their engine during this warranty period.

Installers with all these "new" emission control devices, never determined why the original engine burnt up in the first place. Just replaced the engine without determining the cause and the same problem would happen all over again. And well before that warranty expired.

Whatever your problem is, didn't the CEL come on? Weren't the turbo lines checked for blockage? Or did they just slap the old ones back in? There is a reason, takes some brains, not just replacing parts.

The words, victim or culprit apply, the failed components may be the victim of some other culprit.

·
Super Moderator
5,528 Posts
Intercooler could be flooded with oil then being sucked up into the intake
I've been waiting to see the answers....

SneakerFix, so far, is the only one who got it right.

OP.......Your intercooler is full of oil.....the first turbo failure loaded it and the dealer mechanic hasn't taken the time to think.
Until it is removed and flushed the oiled intake side will continue.

Sounds like the dealer has nothing but part exchangers.

Rob

·
Registered
354 Posts
I'm curious on an update as well. My best guess would be PCV system is failing. Intake manifold pcv check valve (orange) should be present. I didn't even know that thing existed tell today. Wouldn't doubt is some mechanics overlooked this as well.

This little piece causes the crank case to pressurize, airates the oil, when you drop the throttle all the airated oil shoots into the intake track. Several cups an hour of oil consumption.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts