Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, new here and hoping I am posting in the right place. Was reading this forum before I purchased my used 2011 Cruze Lt. Had it about a week and noticed the engine stays extremely hot even an hour after I shut the car off. The temp gauge never indicates that the engine is too hot. Also my dad noticed that the fan turns on right away. I had AC and defrost on when this happened. Is it normal for the engine to stay hot? Never had the eco TEC engine before so not sure if that's typical. Thanks

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm in Iowa. It was about 85 yesterday. The engine wasn't burning hot to the touch, just a lot hotter than I expected after sitting for an hour. Glad to hear that it's normal. Just paranoid owner of a new (used) car I guess!

·
Super Moderator
2014 LT program car, Pull Me Over Red
11,667 Posts
For some reason GM decided this engine need a higher temp thermostat among other things. Supposedly runs better and more efficiently.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Got a 2011 Cruze LZ 1.4 turbo. Several months ago message on instrument cluster said engine temp high a/c shut off. Changed temp sensors (didn’t fix it ) changed Thermostat ( didn’t fix it ) repacked radiator and both hoses ( didn’t fix it ) Mechanic said got bad thermostat. Well for 1 week that seemed to fix it. But same thing again after then. Replaced water pump ( had a small leak ) didn’t fix it. Fan runs full blast . All these times I replaced something I could drive about a mile then would get overtemp message, but what’s weird car isn’t actually running hot. No water spewing out of overflow tank. I need help before o burn the car to the ground!

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Got a 2011 Cruze LZ 1.4 turbo. Several months ago message on instrument cluster said engine temp high a/c shut off. Changed temp sensors (didn’t fix it ) changed Thermostat ( didn’t fix it ) repacked radiator and both hoses ( didn’t fix it ) Mechanic said got bad thermostat. Well for 1 week that seemed to fix it. But same thing again after then. Replaced water pump ( had a small leak ) didn’t fix it. Fan runs full blast . All these times I replaced something I could drive about a mile then would get overtemp message, but what’s weird car isn’t actually running hot. No water spewing out of overflow tank. I need help before o burn the car to the ground!
Do you have a code scanner? You should be able to read both engine coolant temp sensors with it. I'm curious what values are being reported by both of them.

If there's a wiring issue with either of them, the computer may be seeing something it interprets as being hot, even tho you installed new sensors. Getting a look at what the computer is seeing might be insightful.

Doug

1 - 7 of 7 Posts