Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Banned
1,123 Posts
I am going to try and get before and after photos taken at the dealership so I can post.
Mine is going in tomorrow mainly for the transmission shifting, but they are going to do the recall and an oil change. I just posted a few pictures here- http://www.cruzetalk.com/forum/10-e...lash-updates-available-since-8-31-2011-a.html

I took more pics, but couldn't post them by using the image upload above. I had to put them in Photobucket and link them here that way. So, I only posted 3.

·
Banned
1,123 Posts
Mine is going in tomorrow mainly for the transmission shifting, but they are going to do the recall and an oil change. I just posted a few pictures here- http://www.cruzetalk.com/forum/10-e...lash-updates-available-since-8-31-2011-a.html

I took more pics, but couldn't post them by using the image upload above. I had to put them in Photobucket and link them here that way. So, I only posted 3.

Not sure what I did here. Here are the BEFORE and AFTER pics of the heat shield:

BEFORE-2011 recall BEFORE the fix pictures by fastdriver2 - Photobucket

AFTER- 2011 Cruze recall fix pictures by fastdriver2 - Photobucket

·
Registered
260 Posts
Yeah, it does. Plently of other cars, VW and Mazda as an example, have engine shields like ours and no fires.
you might want to check that, porsche vw, and toyota are all having fire problems. vw and porsche paid enough to keep it out of the media. they have plenty of 2012 vehicles with issues. Unfortunately there are dumb people out there who dont know how to fill oil and or clean up a mess. this is called accountability. GM was forced to change their vehicles in a certain timeline to get a fix that is deemed appropriate and most cost effective for all. The truth of the matter is your car will be fine and it is not a moving firebomb waiting to pinto explode you to the moon. if you feel this upset about it sign the waver protecting GM from a possible fire and and fill your own oil.

Reactions: ECOmaniac

·
Registered
906 Posts
you might want to check that, porsche vw, and toyota are all having fire problems. vw and porsche paid enough to keep it out of the media. they have plenty of 2012 vehicles with issues. Unfortunately there are dumb people out there who dont know how to fill oil and or clean up a mess. this is called accountability. GM was forced to change their vehicles in a certain timeline to get a fix that is deemed appropriate and most cost effective for all. The truth of the matter is your car will be fine and it is not a moving firebomb waiting to pinto explode you to the moon. if you feel this upset about it sign the waver protecting GM from a possible fire and and fill your own oil.
Like^^^

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Premium Member
6,917 Posts
if you feel this upset about it sign the waver protecting GM from a possible fire and and fill your own oil.
Not very good advice, if you car burns to the ground from a leak you didn't know existed I can bet your insurance company will look into & find that waiver you signed & not cover the damage. Best bet like it or not for everyone is to get the "fix" preformed.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Listen. If the Cruze did not come with this shield in the first place, nobody would have known the difference. Would anybody not have bought this car because it did not have the shield or even notice? I doubt it. Am I happy about the fix? No, but it is what it is.

·
Registered
426 Posts
GM still needs to correct this problem by sending out the correct shield to the installing dealer once the customer receives there recall letter in the mail and makes that appointment to have this problem done. The car that we own should not need to have a cut up and perhaps a Butcher job done to it even if it is on the bottom part. Its like having a broken part that needs to be fixed and GM wants to have the dealers use Super Glue to get it done and save $$$$ on the correct part plus shipping. The correct part should be sent out to all in need. :)

·
Registered
381 Posts
I'm sorry this will not fix the issue if someone simply drops a lot of oil on the exhaust where the turbo is when filling the engine with oil. If you look closely there is nothing touching the panel to cause a fluid to ignite. I bet even after this done there will still be fires. Then they can blame the oil change place is all this is for. If i had the money i would test my theory. But i bet remove the panel and spill oil on exhaust by turbo and not clean it up I gurantee a fire will start. Panel is not the problem, stupidy is.

·
Premium Member
6,917 Posts
Would anybody not have bought this car because it did not have the shield or even notice? I doubt it.
Actually the under engine panel was one of the reason I bought the cruze. On my last car I got a damaged oil pan from a block of wood in the road, I realize the plastic may not offer that much protection but in the same situation I may not have ended up stranded on the side of the road with a $500 repair(2.2 ecotec oil pan is expensive!).

Again that's not so say I won't have this repair done(as everyone should).

·
Registered
260 Posts
That looks soo sloppy. I gotta get mine done in the next few weeks.
it will get scrapped anyway from rocks and other crap on the road. i went to a car show the other day, it was glorious to see so many classic american muscle cars in one place. first thing i did was look for its underbody plastic shield oh wait... it does not take away from the look or anything of the car.

also side note. does anyone know the true number of cruzes this happened on? and for those who say this wont fix the problem you cant say that. you can almost always tell a point of origin in a fire havent you seen csi? lol but seriously find solid proof that the fires didnt take place there and then we can talk about this not fixing it.

·
Registered
273 Posts
GM still needs to correct this problem by sending out the correct shield to the installing dealer once the customer receives there recall letter in the mail and makes that appointment to have this problem done. The car that we own should not need to have a cut up and perhaps a Butcher job done to it even if it is on the bottom part. Its like having a broken part that needs to be fixed and GM wants to have the dealers use Super Glue to get it done and save $$$$ on the correct part plus shipping. The correct part should be sent out to all in need. :)
This isn't going to happen. I talked with my dealer today and decided to just make the appointment even though when I first heard of this I wasn't going to get it done. I asked if I could just wait for the new shield to become available and then have it installed. I was told the recall is only for the modification of the existing shield and not to replace it with a new one. I will be keeping an eye on GM Parts Direct and will probably replace my cut piece with the new piece when it becomes available, unless my dealership does a good job at cutting the current one. I will be asking to have any edges sanded smooth though as I have seen plenty of poor cut job photos in all these various threads.

·
Registered
426 Posts
I wonder how many Cruze cars that have there oil changed by there dealer or outside source have had them quickly fill the oil thru the fill cap and watch how it over flows onto the front of the engine and it just sits there waiting.:)

1 - 20 of 28 Posts