Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does this sound like water in fuel?
This last week The engine would occasionally skip a few beats while driving 20-30 mph. Today it started bucking so bad I thought it would die. I parked it for a few minutes while I ran an errand and when I started again it was pretty good, only a miss or two every few minutes.
I made an appointment to have the fuel filter drained. There is only about 6000 miles on the filter.

·
Premium Member
2,217 Posts
Draining filter makes sense, I would try that first, if that doesn't work might make sense to change fuel filter. But what if you have more water in fuel still?

Reactions: Barefeet

·
Registered
110 Posts
Did you get the "water in fuel " message....I have a few times and drained my fuel filter a few times..one time I got quite a bit of water...like a cup full sitting in the bottom of the glass container that I drained the fuel in....another time I drained the fuel filter and I really couldn't see much water at all dispite the "water in fuel " message...but it did shut off the message. Had the water in fuel message a third time and did nothing but changed where I was buying diesel from and haven't seen the water in fuel message for months now...anyways...never did the car buck or anything and ran perfect even before I drained what looked like a full cup of water from the fuel filter...just my experience with some water in the fuel.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, It did get worse today just before the low fuel light came on. There was no message or CEL.
I'll post tomorrow after the service dept checks it out.

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have noticed mine doing some strange things like bucking and coughing at low speeds, right before a DPF Regen. Once the Regen is complete it runs fine again.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have noticed mine doing some strange things like bucking and coughing at low speeds, right before a DPF Regen. Once the Regen is complete it runs fine again.
You may be right, thats when it happened.
The service man drained the fuel filter and found little to no water.
The car seems to be running fine now.

·
Premium Member
2,187 Posts
Could also just be air getting in the line somehow.

If it's only occurring at low fuel, then it's probably something to do with the lift pump or sump in the tank itself.

Otherwise... Have fun hunting...

·
Registered
355 Posts
Mine does this at certain speeds while at certain times during regen or before a regen too. Happened real bad a few times. Car doesn't have any issues, nor has ever had any water in the fuel. Every time it is drained nothing comes out. I think it's normal honestly because it happens at such rare and narrow times and RPM/speeds.

·
Premium Member
2,217 Posts
Probably not related at all but a friendly reminder, might check the five wire clamps on the air tube and make sure they are snug, with the diesel vibrations they can work loose pretty easily.

Reactions: Barefeet

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
I've never had any issues like this before a regen.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
I've never had any issues like this before a regen.
Neither have I for either CTD.... However it's normal for a bit of unstable throttle on my Cummins TD during a Regen.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,187 Posts
I've never seen such issues like 'coughing' during a regen. I've only seen those issues when it just started from -20F or the one time I got the throttle valve stuck :blush:. It also does a little bit of a... skip... When the ecm does a sort of reset after finishing a test. Which might be what you guys are hearing. But it's very subtle and something you could easily miss unless you have a good ear.

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
It also does a little bit of a... skip... When the ecm does a sort of reset after finishing a test. Which might be what you guys are hearing. But it's very subtle and something you could easily miss unless you have a good ear.
Is this by any chance at 12 MPH after starting out for the first time, or are you describing something else?

·
Registered
281 Posts
I have had my randomly "buck" a few times around 20-25 MPH at very light throttle. It will buck twice and then stop. It hasn't done it for a few month now. Sometimes it would do it every few day, but usually less than once a week. I aways assumed the computer was doing some sort of test, but I have no idea. If I step down on the throttle a little, it quits. This isn't when it is in regen or getting ready to regen. Just my two cents worth.

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
I have had my randomly "buck" a few times around 20-25 MPH at very light throttle. It will buck twice and then stop. It hasn't done it for a few month now. Sometimes it would do it every few day, but usually less than once a week. I aways assumed the computer was doing some sort of test, but I have no idea. If I step down on the throttle a little, it quits. This isn't when it is in regen or getting ready to regen. Just my two cents worth.
That sounds to me like the natural characteristics of the transmission. Mine has done that since new. It's sort of like harsh shifting into or out of a couple gears under very particular circumstances.

·
Registered
281 Posts
I have noticed a few quirks with the transmission, but this is the engine. I've even put it in manual mode before while it's doing it. No change..

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
I have noticed a few quirks with the transmission, but this is the engine. I've even put it in manual mode before while it's doing it. No change..
I've never noticed anything like that in manual mode.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
As a follow up on this post. The skipping and bucking is definitely caused by the regen. I think it is worse since the reprogram recall. It is only noticeable at speeds below 50. I have generally been pleased with the reprogram, because I can now go 550 to 1100 miles between regens. instead of 150 miles, however, the mpg may be a little lower.
It did post a CEL this last time P2425 Exhaust gas recirculation bypass valve?? I cleared the code.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.