Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone. I recently had a turbo blowout and that led to a cracked head gasket. My question is there any way to remove the oil sludge while i have the motor pulled replacing the head gaskets (upper and lower). Looking for a possible solution maybe a engine soak or something. Any tips would be love. Thanks

·
Administrator
15,757 Posts
Most people will soak everything in kerosene, which you can buy for fairly cheap. However, if you're looking to clean out the engine, there are two products I recommend.

One is AMSOIL Engine Flush. Fill the engine with some cheap oil when you have it back together, pour the flush bottle in with the oil, and idle for about 15, maybe 20 minutes. After that's done, replace the filter and drain the oil. I would buy two bottles, and run another flush after a short (3,000 mile) oil change.

AMSOIL Engine and Transmission Flush

Second, before you put it back together at all, run some AMSOIL Power Foam on components you have off of the vehicle. This stuff is so good, we can't sell it in California. It is an expanding foam degreasing solvent, and it's very strong.

AMSOIL Power Foam®

I strongly recommend replacing the turbo oil feed line, as it is undoubtedly coked solid with oil deposits, and running a GOOD synthetic oil to prevent this issue from reoccurring. Some of my customers running AMSOIL have engines with over 200k miles on them and the top end is so clean you could eat off of it. Not only is there no sludge, there isn't even varnish or discoloration. It is visually identical to a brand new engine with the exception of camshaft break-in wear.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the 411. I was using royal purple oil but i will have to look into this amsoil. Just trying to prevent another breakdown after this disaster

·
Registered
153 Posts
Hey everyone. I recently had a turbo blowout and that led to a cracked head gasket. My question is there any way to remove the oil sludge while i have the motor pulled replacing the head gaskets (upper and lower). Looking for a possible solution maybe a engine soak or something. Any tips would be love. Thanks
What year and how many miles?
Did you pull it your self?
Just curious since I have a similar job ahead of me.
Thanks

·
Administrator
15,757 Posts
Thanks for the 411. I was using royal purple oil but i will have to look into this amsoil. Just trying to prevent another breakdown after this disaster
RP's products have gone way, way downhill since they were acquired by Calumet. Poor shear stability, poor thermo-oxidation (sludge under heat), and mediocre volatility and additive package.

Let me know if you want a quote on some AMSOIL products. These are true Group V synthetics.

·
Super Moderator
7,804 Posts
Royal Purple is expensive garbage. A cute color. Like K&N, fashionable with people who can think no farther than advertising copy.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
have not pulled it yet, dreading what i might find. its a 2012 cruze around 95k miles. Not for sure but i believe either the wastegate got stuck or there was a clog in the oil feed line.

·
Administrator
15,757 Posts
have not pulled it yet, dreading what i might find. its a 2012 cruze around 95k miles. Not for sure but i believe either the wastegate got stuck or there was a clog in the oil feed line.
The 2012 models had the old turbo feed line design. The updated design had a heat shield and two o-rings instead of one. I replaced it as preventive maintenance.

Good luck, you're not the first to have to deal with the consequences of a sludged up 1.4 turbo engine. Those engine flushes and an ester based oil will clean up the engine and keep cleaning throughout the service interval. Ester based oils have exceptional cleanliness properties and seem to do a good job of cleaning "dirty" engines.

Sent from my BlackBerry PRIV using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Should have talked to you before i had this problem lol. Anything else i should look at since i have around 96 k miles on it

·
Administrator
15,757 Posts
Should have talked to you before i had this problem lol. Anything else i should look at since i have around 96 k miles on it
Check valve in the intake manifold
http://www.cruzetalk.com/forum/34-gen1-1-4l-turbo/175793-cruze-1-4l-gen1-pcv-system-explained.html

CPASV seals
http://www.cruzetalk.com/forum/129-...t-position-actuator-solenoid-valve-seals.html

Oil pan seal (it's RTV, not a gasket, and you put RTV back on it to fix the leak)

Is the burst disk on the valve cover intact (is it sucking air under idle)?

Trans fluid needs changed if it hasn't already.

Last guy that showed up on our Facebook group with the same problem you had. He was scraping off sludge from the top end of the engine after removing the valve cover all over. He ended up running our engine flush, then running our Signature Series engine oil, and 4k miles later, he's holding up OK. I'll see if he wants to chime in here and share some of his experiences.

I hate to make this thread a promotion for AMSOIL products, but really, our Signature Series oil is practically sludge-proof. Had that engine run this oil from day one, you'd be looking at a sludge-free, varnish-free, mint condition top end.

All that being said, GM re-calibrated the oil life monitor for the 2013 models to drastically reduce oil change intervals, as they discovered that the cheap semi-synthetic oil they were filling cars with was not holding up to the 10,500 mile intervals that the oil life monitor will take to get to 0% on 2011 and 2012 models, so if someone followed that religiously, the result here is not surprising. People who change that oil at more sane intervals (5,000 miles) don't seem to have problems that are so severe.

·
Premium Member
8,003 Posts
All that being said, GM re-calibrated the oil life monitor for the 2013 models to drastically reduce oil change intervals, as they discovered that the cheap semi-synthetic oil they were filling cars with was not holding up to the 10,500 mile intervals that the oil life monitor will take to get to 0% on 2011 and 2012 models, so if someone followed that religiously, the result here is not surprising. People who change that oil at more sane intervals (5,000 miles) don't seem to have problems that are so severe.
I'm not sure, but I thought GM recalibrated the older car's OLM in a update - perhaps tied to a recall for emissions.

·
Premium Member
550 Posts
Check valve in the intake manifold
http://www.cruzetalk.com/forum/34-gen1-1-4l-turbo/175793-cruze-1-4l-gen1-pcv-system-explained.html

CPASV seals
http://www.cruzetalk.com/forum/129-...t-position-actuator-solenoid-valve-seals.html

Oil pan seal (it's RTV, not a gasket, and you put RTV back on it to fix the leak)

Is the burst disk on the valve cover intact (is it sucking air under idle)?

Trans fluid needs changed if it hasn't already.

Last guy that showed up on our Facebook group with the same problem you had. He was scraping off sludge from the top end of the engine after removing the valve cover all over. He ended up running our engine flush, then running our Signature Series engine oil, and 4k miles later, he's holding up OK. I'll see if he wants to chime in here and share some of his experiences.

I hate to make this thread a promotion for AMSOIL products, but really, our Signature Series oil is practically sludge-proof. Had that engine run this oil from day one, you'd be looking at a sludge-free, varnish-free, mint condition top end.

They also reformulated their AC Delco dexos 1 oil to help.

"

Description:

When the dexos1 motor oil specification was first brought into market, it was made clear that GM would upgrade the specification when necessary. That time has come for ACDelco dexos1 5W30. The second generation specification upgrade is being rolled out over the next 2 weeks. The included spider chart demonstrates the areas where the ACDelco dexos1 5W30 oil characteristics are improved. The motor oil market is made up of many oils but dexos specifications are formulated for GM designed engines. GM dealers are encouraged to understand characteristics in the spider chart and explain to customers the benefits of the new dexos1 5W30 specification. In addition, the new upgraded specification is now a Full Synthetic Oil.

Second Generation dexos1 specification requirements:

GM has developed four new engine tests for this updated specification

1. NEW General Motors Oxidation & Deposit Test (GMOD)
Verifies the Improved Oxidation and Deposit Control Characteristics

2. NEW Stochastic Pre-ignition Test
Verifies the Added Protection for Turbocharged Engines and pre-ignition concerns

3. NEW Turbocharger Deposit Test
Verifies the Added Protection for Turbocharged Engines.
Minimizes deposit formation which ensures optimal performance during engine life.

4. NEW Aeration Test (Bubble Control)
Ensures that the air bubbles in the oil are dissipated quickly to improve oil performance. "

·
Administrator
15,757 Posts
They also reformulated their AC Delco dexos 1 oil to help.

"

Description:

When the dexos1 motor oil specification was first brought into market, it was made clear that GM would upgrade the specification when necessary. That time has come for ACDelco dexos1 5W30. The second generation specification upgrade is being rolled out over the next 2 weeks. The included spider chart demonstrates the areas where the ACDelco dexos1 5W30 oil characteristics are improved. The motor oil market is made up of many oils but dexos specifications are formulated for GM designed engines. GM dealers are encouraged to understand characteristics in the spider chart and explain to customers the benefits of the new dexos1 5W30 specification. In addition, the new upgraded specification is now a Full Synthetic Oil.

Second Generation dexos1 specification requirements:

GM has developed four new engine tests for this updated specification

1. NEW General Motors Oxidation & Deposit Test (GMOD)
Verifies the Improved Oxidation and Deposit Control Characteristics

2. NEW Stochastic Pre-ignition Test
Verifies the Added Protection for Turbocharged Engines and pre-ignition concerns

3. NEW Turbocharger Deposit Test
Verifies the Added Protection for Turbocharged Engines.
Minimizes deposit formation which ensures optimal performance during engine life.

4. NEW Aeration Test (Bubble Control)
Ensures that the air bubbles in the oil are dissipated quickly to improve oil performance. "
Well that's comforting. It basically says, in a round-about way, that every GM car made after the date in which that improvement occurred, will require at minimum a full 100% group 3 synthetic, because every gasoline-powered vehicle GM makes requires that specification or better.

The days of conventional or semi-synthetic oils are over.

By the way, where did you get this, and when did it go into effect?

·
Registered
9 Posts
My car has 71000 miles before I opened it up. I had to replace the valve cover due to a bad pcv. I opened it up and it was full of sludge (pic attached) beyond belief. It has had steady oil changes from dealer for the life of the car. So I gave amsoil a try and after only 3 to 4k miles, I am already seeing improvements to the sludge going away. I got the flush with 5 quarts of signature series and a six oil filter. I won't ever be using anything else in any vehicle I own

·
Premium Member
550 Posts
Well that's comforting. It basically says, in a round-about way, that every GM car made after the date in which that improvement occurred, will require at minimum a full 100% group 3 synthetic, because every gasoline-powered vehicle GM makes requires that specification or better.

I got it from a guy that works at a GM dealership.

"Rollout:
Throughout the end of June and up until July 15th, CCA will be selling both previous and new specification as the supply chain of oil is populated with the new specification. Effective 7/15/2016 dealers will only receive the new specification and will start being billed the new part numbers listed in the bulletin. On 8/1/2016, the prices for Full Synthetic ACDelco dexos1 5W30 bulk oil will be increasing by approximately 4% or about 40 cents a gallon. Packaged ACDelco dexos1 5W30 is also coming and it will have a new part number and Full Synthetic labeling. As with bulk, the packaged pricing will be about 4% higher than the previous dexos1 specification."

·
Administrator
15,757 Posts
My car has 71000 miles before I opened it up. I had to replace the valve cover due to a bad pcv. I opened it up and it was full of sludge (pic attached) beyond belief. It has had steady oil changes from dealer for the life of the car. So I gave amsoil a try and after only 3 to 4k miles, I am already seeing improvements to the sludge going away. I got the flush with 5 quarts of signature series and a six oil filter. I won't ever be using anything else in any vehicle I own

Here's the pick jwh wanted to post.

Sent from my BlackBerry PRIV using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts
I'm not sure, but I thought GM recalibrated the older car's OLM in a update - perhaps tied to a recall for emissions.
The emissions recall was only for automatics. Those of us with manuals haven't had any ECM recalibration.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I will send some pics in when i start, hopefully before the next ice age. If post is still up might do a tut on the turbo removal since no one has posted one yet. Thanks

·
Registered
1,335 Posts

Used mobil one extended performance a few times just to save a few bucks on shorter change intervals during the first 20,000 miles of my tender love and care break in when I bought the cruze but used Amsoil SS 5w30 all the other times and so glad I did and I will use nothing else in any of my cars.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts