Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello i am new to the forum, and I have only had my Cruze LS 1.8 MT for 2 weeks now. I have been having the same reoccurring problem. Just recently almost every time i start it it dies immediately after it starts. Sometimes it will do it once and start right back up like normal but sometimes it will happen multiple times, and when it is doing it several times in a row sometimes it runs but it is misfiring and backfiring and sputtering, then if i give it gas then dies out again immediately. Then on the fourth or fifth time i try to start it, it will start right up and idle normally. Also on 2 separate occasions while idling at a stop light with the clutch fully depressed it has flat out died but started right back up. Has anyone experienced this problem other than me?? I also have a very audible clicking and popping on the D/S front when turning right or left it sounds exactly like C/V axles when they are going bad. Has anyone else experienced this? I will be taking it to the dealer this weekend to get it looked at but i was just wondering if this is an isolated case or if they are known issues. Thank you for your time and any feedback it is very much appreciated. Have a great day.

·
Resident Derp
2,805 Posts
No problem at all with mine and I've had it for about 7 weeks or so. It could be something from an engine problem to a crap battery (I had one in my old car, I started it in my school's parking lot, and after say, 40 feet, I slowed to a stop, and then it just died on me because the battery went caput. It was still in drive, I put it into park, turned it "off" then back on and it started fine. Two days later the car wouldn't start so I got a jump, went to shop, replaced my battery, and it worked fine from there on out.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well the dealership called me yesterday and said the MAF sensor was failing so they ordered a new one for it. And as for the clicking they have no answer for that yet. Well i guess at lease one problem should be solved.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Still stock intake setup only has 2700 miles on it yet. I have considered an intake for a little more throttle response but don't know if the gains will be substantial enough to justify the price. Also the dealer called today about the clicking and said they are ordering a housing for the suspension to replace. When i asked the service adviser what housing exactly it is he replied that he was not certain what it is. Once i get further clarification on what they are replacing i will post it.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well finally got it back today. They decided not to change whatever housing they were talking about and put an axle shaft in on the left side. The clicking is gone but the second time I went to start it today even after it was warm and only sitting 20 minutes it died right away like it was before so back to the dealer it goes. Looks like ill have to start looking into the Texas lemon laws I guess. I have not even made my first payment on this car yet what a bummer.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Try it with a different key. From your description it sounds like the security system might be a problem. In many new cars if you have a key that's not electronically married to the car and attempt to start it, the engine will fire and run for only a few seconds and then die. Honestly that doesn't seem very likely to me but it's worth a shot since swapping keys is so easy. You could also monitor the security idiot light on the dash to see if there's a difference between how it acts when it's trouble-free vs when it's acting up.

That's totally a guess on my part. If I get two guesses my second guess would be something with the fuel pump. Is there any correlation between the gas gauge level and the starting problems? In other words do you have more trouble when the tank is almost empty?

·
Premium Member
25,595 Posts
My first guess would be a faulty main fuel pump or a clogged main fuel line. The security system may be the culprit but it tends to just prevent the car from starting at all.

Before you take it back to your dealership, either call GM Customer service or PM Stacy at View Profile: Chevy Customer Service - Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums. In either case GM will need your name, contact phone, email (Stacy will PM you responses), VIN, and preferred dealership.

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,610 Posts
Sounds like an antenna problem for your anti theft system.

Try your other key and see if it makes any kind of difference.

Fuel pumps generally work or they don't - unless the relay is bad.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Premium Member
25,595 Posts
We had a bad fuel pump that did just what OP described. The car would start and then die or it would start and then die at the first stop light.

·
Premium Member
25,595 Posts
Carbureted vehicle?

Dodge Intrepid ES. The symptoms OP describes were very common with misadjusted and dirty carburetors. I think you're correct that it's a relay, but the relay is most likely in the fuel sending unit on the fuel pump, thus a "faulty" fuel pump as you can't replace just the sending unit.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Fuel pumps generally work or they don't - unless the relay is bad.

That's not necessarily true. I had an issue with my 98 Cavalier where the car would die after about 30 minutes when the weather would get up to 90-100 degrees. I tried everything I could think of to fix it with no luck. Once the temp outside got below 80 or so, it would run fine. Every time it died, if I let it sit for about 30 minutes it would fire back up and run for another 30 minutes or so. It once too me 3 hours to make a 30 minute drive home from work. Then fall and winter arrived and it problem went away. The following summer... same problem.
I had a few mechanics tell me they thought it was the fuel pump, but agreeing with what you said, I didn't want to blow $300 on a fuel pump and still have the same problem, and no mechanic would guarantee that would fix it.
For awhile I started riding a motorcycle to work everyday, but that was a problem in rainy weather, and the Cavalier problem was getting worse, running shorter distances over time. Finally I had an idea. I went to a local salvage yard called PUll-A-PART, where you pull your own parts and pay substantially less. I found a wrecked Cavalier the same year as mine and pulled the fuel pump, replaced mine with it, and that fixed it.

This is a fuel pump that never completely went out, but gradually got worse over a period of 3 years. (One of those summers, we had another car to use and loaned the Cavalier to my father in law, who had the same issues with it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts