Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Driving to work today I thought I heard a different noise from the engine. I got home, let it sit for awhile and then started it up. There's always been the soft high pitched "tick-tick-tick" since I got it (Aug-2020), but now there's like a suctioned thud almost knock sound. I'm gonna talk to a mechanic tomorrow or next week, but thought I'd bounce it off you folks.

Also, sounds like it gets louder on driver side of engine. Not sure if it's related, but also have noticed slight exhaust smell coming from vent in the morning heading to work.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Check for a loose spark plug.
I decided to check the spark plugs after reading your comment and I found that the ignition coil was very loose. I mean, a few revolutions backwards from the bolts and it probably would have came out. I tightened it down and no more aforementioned noise. Thank you!

I still have the tick, but I think that's always going to be there.

·
Administrator
2014 LT program car, Pull Me Over Red, 1.4T Auto
13,251 Posts
Driving to work today I thought I heard a different noise from the engine. I got home, let it sit for awhile and then started it up. There's always been the soft high pitched "tick-tick-tick" since I got it (Aug-2020), but now there's like a suctioned thud almost knock sound. I'm gonna talk to a mechanic tomorrow or next week, but thought I'd bounce it off you folks.

Also, sounds like it gets louder on driver side of engine. Not sure if it's related, but also have noticed slight exhaust smell coming from vent in the morning heading to work.

Good videos. I am going to use the first one in my click, tick and rattle list. If you figure out what the tick in the second video is for sure, let me know and I'll use that one too.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Good videos. I am going to use the first one in my click, tick and rattle list. If you figure out what the tick in the second video is for sure, let me know and I'll use that one too.
I was going to take the valve cover off and see if it's something in one of the vides in that thread, but I'm guessing I'd need to replace that gasket and I don't have one handy so I just tightened the ignition coil, fired it up and counted the day as a win, lol.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts