Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2015 Cruze with 117,000 miles. This is the vehicle my son drives to school. Earlier this week, he could not take it because it would not start. When I got home, I attempted to start it. It cranked over, and started, but killed right away. I attempted to start it a second time, and it did the same thing. Finally on the 3rd attempt it stayed running, but it stumbled for a second then continued to run. No more problems the rest of the day starting it. The ambient temperature was about 20 degrees farenheit, when he tried starting it, the temps were in the single digits. I left the car out that night, and it was right around zero the next morning. Attempted to start, cranks over fine, but would not start. Cranked it over for about 20 seconds 3 separate times, but would not start. The fourth time turning it over, it did start. Let it warm up so my son could take it to school. When he gets done with school, it won't start on the first try, he has to crank it over for about 20 seconds, shuts the key off, and then cranks it over again and it will start. I have been putting it in the garage, where it is about 50 degrees, and it will start right away, but it will stumble and almost quit, but it will stay running. Once it is started and warmed up, it starts and runs fine. I changed the spark plugs this morning, which I'm not sure if that will help. No check engine lights, and the fuel pressure is good. I'm hoping someone else has had this problem.

·
Super Moderator
7,475 Posts
I have a 2015 Cruze with 117,000 miles. This is the vehicle my son drives to school. Earlier this week, he could not take it because it would not start. When I got home, I attempted to start it. It cranked over, and started, but killed right away. I attempted to start it a second time, and it did the same thing. Finally on the 3rd attempt it stayed running, but it stumbled for a second then continued to run. No more problems the rest of the day starting it. The ambient temperature was about 20 degrees farenheit, when he tried starting it, the temps were in the single digits. I left the car out that night, and it was right around zero the next morning. Attempted to start, cranks over fine, but would not start. Cranked it over for about 20 seconds 3 separate times, but would not start. The fourth time turning it over, it did start. Let it warm up so my son could take it to school. When he gets done with school, it won't start on the first try, he has to crank it over for about 20 seconds, shuts the key off, and then cranks it over again and it will start. I have been putting it in the garage, where it is about 50 degrees, and it will start right away, but it will stumble and almost quit, but it will stay running. Once it is started and warmed up, it starts and runs fine. I changed the spark plugs this morning, which I'm not sure if that will help. No check engine lights, and the fuel pressure is good. I'm hoping someone else has had this problem.
Welcome Aboard!(y)

Just ruminating here, but...
If it didn't crank or was lazy, I'd say the battery
Maybe it needs a new fuel filter.
Could be the coil connector is dirty or loose.
Maybe the injectors are dirty.
Bad fuel pump or regulator

since you messed with the plugs...

Tips to ensure no misfires occur:

Remove the coil pack. If the boots are stuck on, use a small screwdriver or pick with some dielectric grease on it to go around the outside of the boot and then possibly the inside of the boot to help aid in removal.

Remember to (p)re-gap your plugs to .028,

Set gap with the black portion of this tool.

Measure the gap with feeler gauges.

Throw this away.

Torque to 18 ft-lbs with no anti-seize on the threads of a stock type plug.

Ensure the boots have no rips/tears or holes in them, lightly coat them with dielectric/silicone grease and make sure the resister springs are clean and not caught up in the boots when you install them.

If the plugs look bad, consider these:

-BKR8EIX-2668 (iridium plugs), ~$25, expect ~10-15k regaps on these, ~40-50k overall life.
-BKR7E-4644 (nickel/copper plugs), ~$8, expect 15-25K out of these plugs, with a regap or two required at 5-8k intervals on stock tune.

Read Hesitation Gone! for more info on the plugs.

Don't forget to introduce yourself and your Cruze here.

·
Premium Member
7,900 Posts
Check the fuel pressure. A few have reported problems such that it takes a few key cycles to get the pressure to the point where the engine will run.

Otherwise, I'd look to see if you've got a bum temperature sensor such that the car isn't creating the right fuel mixture.

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
It's impossible to tell if fuel pressure is good without a gauge.

You could have 50 psi but the car won't run unless it's 60 psi.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts