Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Patience Of Job
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well it seems I may have a vibration in my engine that is a bit excessive possibility. Here is what I started noticing, when I start the car, it seems to be alittle rough starting you can feel it turning it seems, then it will do it normal idle & things seem well. Then when its warmed up & take it for a drive stop at a redlight, you can see the RPMs drop to 700RPM & a rough like idle it just feels weird not smooth.

Well then you can turn the car off, restart the engine, again feels rough on startup then watch the RPMs it will drop to 700RPMs after the system checks & the DIC shows the speed while still in park you can watch the RPMs go from 700 to 900 & man smooth idle then. Then put it in gear & roll on & when again stopping at red light it goes down to 700RPMs - so I decided to raise the hood, the engine is vibrating some you can see it moving sorta, the pipe connected to the turbo to the air box is shaking quite alot & also the throttle body pipe is shaking really good as well. I set a bottle of water on top of the engine & I watched it shake the water inside.

Also while driving I notice the car engine seems to be skipping/missing however the RPMs doesn't move during this so wouldn't be considered misfire right? No CELs

I don't know if this has anything to do w/ my erratic shifting 2 -to- 3rd shifting points; but it also feels like a dang manual you can let of the gas & it feels like the engine is moving out there. So does anyone else experience such issues like this & what was the resolve for it?

·
Premium Member
8,003 Posts
I'll have to pay closer attention, but I think 700 RPM is a tad low. I was thinking it was more like 800. With a 4-banger, there's only one firing for every 180 degrees of crankshaft, so it can get rough pretty quick if the RPM is low.

A few have experienced issues with the dual-mass flywheel which can create some issues.

Have you named your car yet? It seems like it's deserving of one. :grin:

·
Patience Of Job
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yep it has a name "LEMON" & it deserves it honestly & truly. But I like my car & love the Cruze's despite everything going on. I am just looking at this issue as another hurdle & will get through it.

I have been doing some reading & some lead to the motor mounts, but the 'skipping/missing' type feeling I get when giving it the gas sometimes; & when I am on a hill giving it the gas its like its hiccuping at times weird & hard to explain really.

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,486 Posts
Could be the beginnings of a vacuum leak (cam cover?).

Idle on my MT is 800. Idle should be higher in park, lower in drive. Yeah, they vibrate a bit at idle (it's a tiny 4 cylinder), but not that excessively.

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts
I was thinking the same as jblackburn - beginnings of a vacuum leak. My engine vibrates quite a bit as well. As for the low idle it appears the idle range for the Cruze 1.4T engine is 700 to 900 RPM. As long as it stabilizes it's fine. If the idle starts jumping around you definitely have a vacuum leak.

·
Patience Of Job
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It could be cam cover leak, but wouldn't it throw a CEL?, I am continue to getting that 'jerk/hiccup' sometimes during pressing the gas, & at times when I stop at a red light you can feel it kinda rough in the steering wheel its not a smooth idle I don't think. So I am basically waiting for a CEL so I can take it to the dealership for repair, oh what a joy!

Just a thought, I am still feeling oil under my throttle body, I can put my fingers under there & pull them back out & there really wet in oil like a lot. I pulled the throttle body hose off & looked there its fine, could be that?, Or maybe a bad TPS ( Throttle body Position sensor) or a MAF ( Mass Air Flow); sensor going bad?

I have been noticing more lately, that when pulling to a red light at a complete stop & idle RPM at 700 watch it drop more & shudder just very so slightly then jumps back to stable 700RPM & then during pull out it kinda feel the dashboard vibrate as I pull out.

Again no active/pending CELs to go off of, so basically waiting for a CEL to become active.

·
Patience Of Job
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'll have to pay closer attention, but I think 700 RPM is a tad low. I was thinking it was more like 800. With a 4-banger, there's only one firing for every 180 degrees of crankshaft, so it can get rough pretty quick if the RPM is low.

A few have experienced issues with the dual-mass flywheel which can create some issues.

Have you named your car yet? It seems like it's deserving of one. :grin:
Before engine replacement, I didn't have a idle issue at all the car would idle all the time at 800RPMs & it was smooth. But the engine was crap. Now new engine & idles at 700RPM & feels like crap. Go figure!

·
Registered
154 Posts
Had this happen after I got my car back from repairs that took 4 months when a lady took my front end off on new years eve after she ran a stop sign.. The guy said he checked the engine mounts and they were fine but when I got the car back it was shaking really bad and I was certain it was a broken engine mount. Come to find out he put 87 octane in my car and I only put 91 Shell premium in my car so it took 2 full tanks of gas to make my engine stop shaking and the fuel rail from clicking really loud.

It idled in the 700s with this problem and once I ran 2 full tanks of premium shell it shot back up to 800-900ish and now runs smooth as butter.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2013 Chevy Cruze also and very bad vibration in her while driving and also in park. I took her to the dealership and they don't know what is causing it. Waiting on a vibration test to be done (a month now waiting) so in the mean time I took her to another garage and again unable to determine the cause. No check engine light on, RPM is steady, no leaks of any sort, checked spark plugs all good, did a compression test on her, turned out perfect. Mechanics are stumped as to what is wrong. Any ideas?? All and any help would be appreciated.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts