Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this has been posted a couple times, but I haven't been active for a while and a quick search didn't find anything so I thought I'd make one just for reference/to help others.

My engine bay would make a squeaking sound under the following conditions;
- Idle
- Engine hot, coolant temp anywhere between halfway from cold and up to running temp.
- In the 3k miles I listened to this sound I did not notice a drop in coolant.

The following would cause the sound to stop;
- Increase RPM > 1000.
- Turn off engine (duh).

Location of squeak;
- Passenger side
- Near top pulley of belt (the water pump pulley).
- Could place stethoscope on passenger side engine mount near pump and squeak was very noticeable, not so much anywhere else.

How I diagnosed the squeak prior to bringing to the dealer (do these very carefully and at your own risk);
- Loosening the coolant reservoir cap, while running and up to temp, slowly releasing pressure caused a change in pitch of the squeak.
- Spraying lubricant/WD40/anything on the backside of the water pump pulley (used a bent straw), while running and up to temp, caused a change in pitch.
- Under none of these tests did the squeak stop.

Following this I brought it to the dealer, showed them the noise and said it is almost definitely the water pump. Turns out it was, and most likely was blowing some of the pressure through the water pump seal which caused a high pitch squeak/squealing sound. To note, just because it was blowing pressure through the seal does not mean it will fail a pressure test performed by a dealer because it does not take much to make that type of sound (less than their test can measure). Pump was replaced and the sound is now gone. Hopefully this helps others with the same issue.

·
Premium Member
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The stethoscopes are basically just a metal rod with a diaphragm(?) between the metal and ear pieces so the vibrations in the rod can be audible. They aren't entirely useful for finding a noise, but they can make it very obvious where the noise is coming from. In this case I put it on the engine mount bolts that hold the water pump and the sound was almost deafening, and placed anywhere else it was only slight.

I've used it only a hand full of times, but it sure is handy when I need it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.