Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Issue has been occurring over the past 2 weeks every time i drive the car. Gas mileage has surprisingly stayed relatively the same and the car drives like it normally does. The issue is the car will won't even get close to 1/4 temp on the instrument cluster and with the digital thermostat it won't get past 140 degrees. My commute is 30 miles one way with around 10 miles of it highway. It has been cold but I've done the same exact commute in previous winters and never had this issue. It was also close to 50 the other day and the engine barely got any warmer. If I turn the heat on, the coolant temp will sometimes drop below 130 degrees and will begin blowing cold air when i'm stopped. As a test I let my car warm up in the garage over the weekend for about an hour and it actually got to full temp around 220 degrees. I've had to replace the thermostat in the past but i'm not sure how a broken thermostat would prevent the engine from heating up. I also think i might have a slight coolant leak somewhere.

Anyone have any idea what could prevent the car from warming up?

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
YOu answered your own question.

Car heats up when not moving but won't heat up when moving.

BROKEN THERMOSTAT.

Cars heat up when not moving. There's no air going through the radiator. Thus, the reason for the fan to kick on at a certain temp. Keep the car moving, air flows through the radiator. No fan needed.
It's the thermostats job to keep the engine at operating temp. If the stat doesn't close. Water keeps circulating and doesn't stay in the engine long enough to heat up.

The stat is supposed to stay closed to help engine warm up. When it hits a certain point then the stat opens up. The hotter it gets. The more the stat opens to allow greater flow.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts