Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

· Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.npr.org/2012/11/02/164159559/epa-finds-hyundai-kia-overstated-gas-mileage
[h=1]EPA Finds Hyundai, Kia Overstated Gas Mileage[/h]
Enlarge
Lee Jin-man/AP​
A Hyundai Motor showroom in Seoul, South Korea, on Thursday, Oct. 25, 2012. An audit by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency discovered inflated gas mileage in some Hyundai and Kia models.

text size A A A
November 2, 2012

Hyundai and Kia overstated the gas mileage on most of their models from the past three years in an embarrassing blunder that could bring sanctions from the U.S. government and millions of dollars in payments to car owners.
Because of the inflated mileage, discovered during an audit by the Environmental Protection Agency, the Korean automakers must retrofit the window stickers on the cars, reducing their fuel economy figures by one to six miles per gallon depending on the model, the agency said Friday...
..The EPA said its inquiry into the errors is continuing, and the agency would not comment when asked if the companies will be fined or if a criminal investigation is under way. But the EPA said it's the first case in which erroneous test results were uncovered in a large number of vehicles from the same manufacturer. Only two similar errors have been discovered since 2000, and those involved single models.

Hyundai and Kia executives apologized for the errors, said they were unintentional, and promised to pay the owners of 900,000 cars and SUVs for the difference in mileage. The payments, which will be made annually for as long as people own their cars, are likely to cost the companies hundreds of millions of dollars...

Read more at:
http://www.npr.org/2012/11/02/164159559/epa-finds-hyundai-kia-overstated-gas-mileage

· Premium Member
24,131 Posts
Near the end of the article is a list of cars. The Elantra is one of them. So much for Hyundai's 40 MPG claim.

· Registered
70 Posts
I almost bought an Elantra but decided otherwise after reading about the actual fuel economy.

Reactions: sciphi

· Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,879 Posts
We had a 2012 Sonata rental for a week, and it returned 22 MPG overall - short of what the window sticker for the car said. That was some highway/some city drive, about what I do with the Cruze.

Then again, I had a 2012 Malibu for a week, and it only returned 23 MPG - mostly HIGHWAY miles.

Honestly, I'd be annoyed if I bought either in a 4-cylinder for the MPG only to discover they didn't deliver, and then didn't have a lot of "fun" under the hood either.

· Premium Member
24,131 Posts
They need to add chevy cruze automatics.
I just checked your fuelly account. You're 1.6 MPG above the combined city/highway EPA estimate for your Cruze. I do understand that with manufacturers, including Chevy, pushing the highest of the three numbers for the most fuel efficient model that its very misleading. I cringed everytime Chevy ran the commercial advertising 42 MPG highway and then throwing up the lease numbers for the LS.

· Premium Member
24,131 Posts
Hyundai and Kia have posted pages showing the old and new estimates. They are no longer "members" of the 40 MPG club.

· Premium Member
24,131 Posts
Wonder how much per mileage they'll be getting paid....the revised numbers look kinda sad
The refund will be an ongoing refillable "gift card". The amount is based on the number of miles driven multiplied by the MPG difference. This will then have 15% added. It only applies to the original owner and will be applicable for as long as you own the car.

· Registered
246 Posts
I just checked your fuelly account. You're 1.6 MPG above the combined city/highway EPA estimate for your Cruze. I do understand that with manufacturers, including Chevy, pushing the highest of the three numbers for the most fuel efficient model that its very misleading. I cringed everytime Chevy ran the commercial advertising 42 MPG highway and then throwing up the lease numbers for the LS.
The japanese companies had been doing it for years and it was ok for them to do it.

· Premium Member
24,131 Posts
The japanese companies had been doing it for years and it was ok for them to do it.
I cringe at those as well. As far as I'm concerned it's good old fashioned bait and switch. I've walked out of more than one dealership that did that to me.

· Premium Member
2,480 Posts
The refund will be an ongoing refillable "gift card". The amount is based on the number of miles driven multiplied by the MPG difference. This will then have 15% added. It only applies to the original owner and will be applicable for as long as you own the car.
Now how would they determine reimbursement though? It seems like a very tricky process.. What it sounds like to me is, some one that has a lead foot will get more money than others?

· Premium Member
24,131 Posts
The MPG difference is the difference between the original combined MPG and the corrected lower combined MPG. This means that a leadfoot who drives 10,000 miles will get the same refund as the featherfoot who drives 10,000 miles. I think the actual formula is

Miles Driven *(old MPG - new MPG) * average fuel price in the area for the recommended octane.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.