Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

Ethanol and internal combution engines, cool article

1145 4
Found this online when researching to convert my 02 Silverado over to E85. It is a little dated since it was published in 2011 but explains a good bit in detail.

http://www.liquidsunenergy.com/learning/ppt/ice.pdf
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· COTM Winner
2014 Cruze Diesel, 2007 Cobalt, 1981 Camaro Z28, 2017 Volt
7,033 Posts
If I recall correctly, the big changeover of fuel system materials was in 1987, and allowed for the use of ethanol in fuels.

For newer vehicles, you essentially just need larger injectors and a tune - though be aware, E85 gets real pissy in the cold - and the switch from summer to winter blend is extremely drastic.

My buddy has been running E85 in his 1988 Mustang GT 5.0 since about 2010, utilizing Megasquirt for the tuning. Stock fuel system, albeit with 42# injectors.

· COTM Winner
2014 Cruze Diesel, 2007 Cobalt, 1981 Camaro Z28, 2017 Volt
7,033 Posts
Absolutely - when my friend first installed the wideband on his Mustang, it was running E85 - and the sensor was spotless. He switched back to gas for a little bit (since he could just change the tune with MS so easy), and it was most certainly not anymore.

Running E85 also smells delicious.

· Banned
9,198 Posts
Looks like this Bob Glicksman is either a self appointed public relations manager for ethanol, or getting a couple of bucks on the side. In either case, do not fully agree with his article.

Why not E-100? At least it is a heterogeneous fuel and mixture with gasoline is NOT! Is a mixture and will separate. Also this bit on moisture, says it is made dry, but does it stay this way? Nothing about its affects on dissolving O-rings or other engine seals, put one in alcohol for a couple of days and will find nothing left.

Worse of all, ethanol is made from our food supply and skyrocketing the cost of our food bills.

He hasn't sold me in the least, have way to much experience with this crap. Key element is designing a vehicle completely around the intended fuel. E-10 as opposed to E-85 is pure BS in regards to engine and fuel system reliability, E-10 is considered safe by idiots, but still caused the same damage as E-85, only difference is, it takes longer, but the damage is still done.

Only solution is to make the entire fuel system corrosion resistant proof, and this will add plenty of bucks from the crap they are using today.

Ha, would be fun to have a televised debate with Bob Glicksman.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.