Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently run 89 octane in the summer and find it sufficient. (87 in the winters.) I am thinking of running 91 octane ethanol free.

I know 91 will help a little in the heat. But does the fact that it has no ethanol help, and if so, in what ways?

thanks,
Joe

·
Premium Member
461 Posts
Yes.
87 octane upper left 85°& below
91 octane no ethanol 85°& up = everything else!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,219 Posts
I don't think it makes much difference and here there is a huge difference in price. I had a 14 eco and ran 87 all the time and the car ran fine, I ran premium on occasion, I really didn't experience much difference.

·
Premium Member
313 Posts
Running 89 with no ethanol bumped up my fuel economy a bit. I think it appeases the 91 map a bit. And if u don't drive a lot having ethanol free is the way to go.

·
Premium Member
313 Posts
I don't seem to have any issues with it taking time to adjust. I'm guessing if you don't run your tank down low before filling up it will be diluted a prevent it from fully utilizing the 91 map.

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,346 Posts
I don't seem to have any issues with it taking time to adjust. I'm guessing if you don't run your tank down low before filling up it will be diluted a prevent it from fully utilizing the 91 map.
Same - my '12 would adjust instantly.

I saw very little difference between 91 non-E and 93 10%. It was in the neighborhood of 1-2 MPG.

·
Premium Member
313 Posts
I'm thinking most people fill up at or before 1/4 tank. That's a lot of dilution and doing that every time would take a few fills to get it close enough to 91 octane to prevent pinging and allow the 91map to take over. I typically run for 20-30 miles after range stops reading. So should be less than a gallon to dilute a 11-12 gallon fill. So 8% vs 25%.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hi,

Well i can tell you that I have been running 92 octane since i bought my 2013 ECO MT (K&N 69-4521TS Typhoon air intake system), I get almost twice the fuel economy with 92 than I do with 87. Plus, i get a decent hit in performance about equivalent to turning on the AC when running 87. Furthermore, the ethanol gums up the injectors and decent injector cleaner being 10+$ CDN a bottle, it's cheaper to pay the premium for 92. On the down side your freezing point is lower without the presence of ethanol, but so far living in Toronto, ON. it has not been an issue. May be farther north in winter though.

·
Registered
215 Posts
My usual fuel choice us E-10 89, and the only E-free I've used is 89. That being said, I've not been able to notice a difference in the car's performance when sipping on E-free. That coupled with the car being new enough that it's designed for ethanol fuel, and if I'm going to spend alittle extra for better fuel I'll opt for E-91 or 93 rather than a lower octane E-free. JM2CW

1 - 12 of 12 Posts