Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

euro/autocross- type build.

8K views 38 replies 5 participants last post by  170-3tree 
#1 ·
This is more of a place marker right meow as I haven't done anything but a tune and muffler delete to my car, but this will be a mild build. Based off wanting to make my car more suitable for autocross and have a more euro sports sedan feel. Its a 2013 Lt rs in victory red.

No images right now. Currently on order is a set of tsw nurburgrings in 18x8 mirror cut face. Decided that I'm going to be different and not black out my whole car.

I'm still shopping for suspension systems. Was leaning towards coilovers, but I'm longing for a miata, so I might spare that for a more reasonable set of springs. Not to mention the need for a decent ride still.

Might get the windows tinted soon as well.

Will post pics as she progresses!! Any input is always appreciated.

#2 ·
Had my first auto cross event today. Pretty happy with myself. I went from 51.889 to 47.433 with absolutely no errors, only clean car in my heat. Problem is that 1) they slotted me with a bunch of fiesta st's so basically cars that are a lot lighter, with 197hp stock, and also low pro performance tires. 2) they lost my entry slip and I show up in their system with no times!!! I'm so unhappy. I raced HS class and beat my buddy by over a second who was in FSP, so like two classes up and very very modified. He thinks his car is whack, but I think next time we'll double up both cars to show him its mostly driver error.

I squealed about every time I changed direction at all on my fr710's which was expected. The edges of the fronts are thrashed, more so on the right front. I suspect that some good tires that don't roll so much will net me about a second on this same course.

Really excited to get some good rubber on my car and see what happens in two weeks. I will try to upload pics of my edge wear in a bit!!!

Due to low rate of available funds and wanting to improve ME driving more than just the car, this thread can probably be moved if an evolution of myself and car fits another section better.

#4 · (Edited)
get camber bolts, take some tire chalk and white up the sidewalls. this will help you dial in tire psi and camber for optimum results. some bc coils with rebound and compression will give you a superb quality street ride as long as you take the time to adjust the settings correctly for your style and driving terrains. try kumho exs http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Kumho&tireModel=Ecsta+XS
if you plan on getting light weight rims that are wider you can try these. if staying stock size try these http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...2015&autoModel=Cruze&autoModClar=Turbo Diesel

the are very good priced and will be a night and difference. im no sure if the cruze has lsd. I assuming not but a clutch lsd would work wonders. then upgraded rotors and ebc or hawk pads and flush the bake fluid with brembo dot 4 racing fluid. this helps pedal feel and raises the fluid oil over way higher

#5 ·
Sounds solid man.

My wheels should be here next week. They're 18x8 nurburgrings. I'll wrap them up in some bridgestone rr970as. Great performance all season. 245/40-18.

Can't do anything that changes ride height or springs in my current class and I don't want to move up until I'm better myself.

Since I have my heart set on a miata in a couple years, I'm hesitant to use full coilovers, I might go after the b12 kit from bilstein. Ideally I don't want my ride too crappy and I haven't found anyone local with suspension mods to ride along with for a feel.

I will probably have to use my buddy's car this weekend if we race since I've got exposed cords on my tires. They rolled @46psi which is abov sidewall pressure. Not messing with them beyond that since they'll be replaced soon, but not by Sunday.

#6 ·
Finally!!! My wait is over, almost. My car is getting paint fixed from an insurance job, but I discovered my wheels sitting in my garage when I came home from work tonight.

A little foresight for anyone doing autocross with their cruze. Your car starts as HS stock. This slots you with fiesta St and base mini coopers. They're quick. Putting a tune on moves you to STF. you'll be about in the same position here, but!!! You're limited to a 7.5" wheel and 225mm tires, which doesn't allow for growth beyond stock options unless your shaving weight on wheels without going much wider. I ordered 18x8" wheels and will be putting 245-40 on them, but this moves you into DSP instead of FSP where you'd think! Now your playing with cobalt ss and the likes.

Since my budget is limited right now, between getting an apartment and my girlfriends bike rebuilt, I will be focusing heavily on my driving abilities the next few outings.

Attachments

#13 ·
Don't buy just Springs btw, especialy if you do autocross. This week i will make a thread about my suspension troubles/changes and the last thing you want to do is use stock shocks with lowering springs.

I see you live in Kansas, i would strongly suggest a Coil-over set, either KWs or Bilstein, depending on your budget.

#8 ·
The TSW aren't really a good choice for autoX.. I would use those just for the street and wrap the stockers in something better with springs

#9 ·
Not sure how they aren't good for autocross.. Rotary forged for strength, and don't weigh thirty pounds. My stockers rolled so much at 46lbs I'm afraid if lose a tire eventually. 17" would have been a better choice, but I prefer the look of eighteens.

#10 ·
Just the size mainly of them plus the cost of tires.. a good set of low pro tires
mounted on the stock rims will do you better at autoX since your in that class then upgraded in size

invest in
Torque wrench
air presssue gauge
portable air compressor
Brake pads
springs
tires

#11 ·
Well its too late now and my wheels were actually ordered before my first autocross event or knew it would mess up my classing. I'll stick with what I just spent my money on until I can afford to add to my stacks of wheels as my OEM units have blizzaks on them now.

At some point I'll get the same wheel in 17" to put some RE-71r or something more sticky on. I think 16" is just too tall for the kind of forces in autocross. I've got everything else listed and tires come at a fairly low price for me with my job position. Next will be suspension and a downpipe midpipe setup to help her spool up a touch quicker. I noticed that the stickier rubber didn't do much against my under steer so I plan on tuning the car and such to try and negate that.

I do appreciate your input sneakerfix.

#14 ·
I have the tune sneaker. First thing I did. As far as tire pricing I paid less than $600 for a set of 18's.

Poje! Am actually deciding between kw, St, and bilstein. I've heard that bilstein rubs rough for daily use, but I can't find them on a local car to test them.

#15 ·
If you have 1500$ budjet, you cant go wrong with KW, probably the best out there.

In a couple of days i will have another option... Maybe. :unsure:

#16 ·
Well I don't have any progressive budget right now but I am willing to wait to afford something better. I know kw is a darn good box brand before getting into $5k damper systems. So with that, and whatever you bring to the table, I don't mind adding a couple months to my wait for something better.

Problem is, ig I have $3k in the bank, that could be a sweet down payment on the next ride. We'll cross that bridge when we get there though.

#17 ·
A super minor update for the Cruze, I did an alignment with cam bolts today, added a touch of toe out to the front and went to -1.3° camber on the front. I took a curve a little faster than usual on my way home from finishing up and, for once, didn't engage the traction control limits. We will see this weekend if the actual transitions and tight turns at the track are any less pushy.

This will be my last run until April when the season starts up again. I missed the last two events because of work, and I'm doing things to ensure I don't miss any next year. Hopefully next season I will have some better mods done go improve my chances, especially since I don't have much that can change my class any more.

This weekend is a charity event, so I'm going to invite anyone in the KC metro area out to watch, race, and hang out!!!

#18 ·
remember by SCCA rules you can get a rim thats either 1 inch bigger or smaller but not wider. im going to run O.z superturismo lm in 18 because performance tyre selection is vastly greater. i prefer 17 but in the diesel width i only have economy and comfort tyrs available. since your gas look into upgraded semi metallic brakes pads, maybe make some brake ducts to feed the brakes,. according to SCCA you can run coil overs and be stock as long as geometry stays the same. im going bilstiens b14 set. its Fing outragouse in Hstock. they put a mini cooper, ford fiesta st in that class. both make close to 200hp, are 1/3 as heavy, have gasoline motors, better suspensions and performance tyres. those cars belong a class up. locally i beta up a vw passat, and a Mazda 3 sedan on slicks... beat them by 8 seconds but the mini smoked me by almost 14..... they put the car in the wrong STOCK class
[h=1][/h]

#19 ·
You can't change ride height in hs so not many options for coilovers. As far as wheels goes, anything 8" wide is street prepared as well as anything wider than a 225 tire. The only suspension mods you can do in stock is sway bar or dampers, but not anything with springs or ride level.

But it doesn't matter for me, I have a tune so that moved me up to street touring and then the wheels put me in sp. So short of doing turbo mods or body work mods that aren't just for looks, I'm maxed out.

I'm deeply considering a battery relocate though, but I'm not sure if that will jive with this car.

#20 ·
from my reading you actually can by adjusting the perches where the springs sit rather then a lowered cut spring. ill get my 2015 rule book out and post it up. i think there was a way around it. plus with your modifications planned your best class would be grand touring

#21 ·
We don't have a GT class that I know of. We don't have much in the way of regional exception. Plus I'm trying to stick to nat's rules so I can compete this year, even though it should be a pathetic showing.

You think the classing is messed up now wait until you get into the prepared classes and get classed with cobalt ss and the likes. Luckily for me, there aren't many in that class for my region.

#24 ·
Went out today for the last event. The track was less tight and more sweeping with higher speeds than last time, so its kinda hard to tell what improvement I really got from my custom Alignment.
I did decent today, but wasn't impressed with my times like I had been in the past. Then on my drive home, I realized the car was in ECO the entire day!!!! ugh. last time I did that, it was actually worth a couple seconds. my friend never came out today, so I didn't really have too much to go off of.
I am trying to get myself better, but will slowly alter my car as well. Hopefully I don't find a way to hide my personal improvements in my modifications. I will take the intro course next year when it comes open too.

well that's the season end. I might throw some more parts at my car at some point, yall will when that happens.

#25 ·
Well its about to start getting cold enough to justify winter tires so next week my o.e. wheels hit the axles with my blizzaks. I ordered the midpipe, but not downpipe because I'm contemplating changing to a diff tuner in the future.

I'm still trying to make up my mind on coilovers or the b12 kit from bilstein. But I'm leaning towards the bilstein after poje wrote up about it on his last car.

I went to check out the '16 miata and I love it. Unfortunately the stars aren't going to align anytime soon so I'm trying to keep interested in my Cruze until I can make it happen. Hence buying. Couple bits for now.

#27 ·
I've thought about it. But when I was in my Mazda days, two companies weren't good for coilovers. Buddy club, and ksport. I saw some horror stories with both, like mounts snapping. I am of the belief that under $1k shouldn't get you, both, quality and that range of adjustment. If I NEEDED double adjustable I'd go for the KW V3's. I know a ton of people on here think differently than I, but I'm stubborn.

#28 ·
Got my bilstein coilovers in. Also ordered new top mounts to make it so I can swap stock back in to trade in a few years.

Trying to come up with something to lovk the rear spring adjusters once they're leveled... Any ideas?

Should install once I get a free day at work so I can use the lift. Only looking to drop it about 1-1.5" so not sure what I'll have to do for sway links.

Dog helped me inspect them.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.