Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 20 of 212 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
1st I apologize for re posting this topic as it was originally a part of my "ONE thing to change" thread. Just in case no one wanted to change anything and decided to not post there, and I feel every Eco owner needs to know this fact:D.

GM states in Eco specs that the gas tank is 12.6 gallons, as compared to 15.6 to all other Cruze models, in effort to reduce weight for max fuel economy. I posted that I would want a bigger gas tank, then some faithful posted stated that the gas tanks on ALL Cruze models are the same and that GM engineered for the nozzle to stop at 12 gallons for the Eco. He/she also stated that, with PATIENCE, all we had to do was constantly pump the nozzle for desired fuel capacity.
Well, this evening it was time to test this as I was at well below for ECU to measure how much fuel I had left.
This photo is my proof that my beloved Cruze Eco was at this pump....

I begin to fuel. At around 12 gallons my nozzle trips. From 12 on, I stood there for the next 3 gallons constantly flicking my wrist on that dam nozzle...and behold!!!!....15.6 gallons in my Cruze Eco!!! And mind u all, nothing spilled out...

I did wonder why my fuel needle was below the FULL tally, even my salesman insisted that he filled my tank after purchase even though it didin't show. So now Im convinced that my tank is the same as all other models. Next photo shows my fuel gauge ABOVE the fill tally, whereas before letting it fill without the effort was between that next tally.
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a320/usaalways

·
Registered
391 Posts
Hmm, thats interesting. If the gas tank is the same, then why put in the stop? Marketing gimmick claiming reduced weight?

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
...you must've "coasted" into that gas station if it "took" 15.622 gallons to fill a 15.6 gallon capacity tank!
Hahahah:)
Actually last I remember on my trip computer was approx. 40 miles left in fuel range. Below that it just stated "low fuel" with no range available.

And if u read my post E-C-O models have a "12.6" ( twelve point six) gas tank capacity..and u can check that at Edmonds, or Chevy's site if u like.

And while I "coasted", I did do a lot, giving such limited time to myself, to make this info available for all ECO owners on this site

·
Registered
78 Posts
Outstanding..... I am going to have to confirm that at my next fill up. Then I need to figure out what they did and reverse it so I don't have to trickle it in.

Thanks for the info.....

·
Registered
55 Posts
Woo Hoo, I was right! :D

So, my theory about the tank size is all based on Max Range for passenger cars. Let's just assume that the government does not want you falling asleep while driving cross country. They can't do anything except limit your range and make you stop for gas. So they came up with a magic number of... 400 miles. So, base on the EPA rating and the magic range number you get tanks size.

Let's try some math, shall we:

400 miles / 12.6 (stated Eco tank size) = 31.7 MPG, which should be clsoe to the combined fuel rating for the car (28/42)

What do you think of my theory, can anyone find something from the Dept of Trans or Highway Safety people?

·
Registered
55 Posts
1st I apologize for re posting this topic as it was originally a part of my "ONE thing to change" thread. Just in case no one wanted to change anything and decided to not post there, and I feel every Eco owner needs to know this fact:D.
I almost forgot... Thanks for the post and letting us know. I can't wait to fill'er all the way up.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Hmm this is interesting....only problem is I think it will mess up my tracking with fuelly??

what you guys think?

·
Premium Member
1,943 Posts
Hmm this is interesting....only problem is I think it will mess up my tracking with fuelly??

what you guys think?
It shouldn't as you're only giving your mileage and gals used since your last fillup.
On a side note, it is going to be great to get 600 miles on a tank of gas. I'll be filling up on Sunday and will see how much the avg mpg goes down (if any) with the extra gas. It shouldn't be much as you are only adding about 21 lbs to the car.

·
Registered
55 Posts

what you guys think?
Here is my plan. On my next fillup I will let the pump click off and use that number as the gallons for Fuelly. Then I will continue filling all the way to the top. Then the next fill up I will fill to the top again and I will record the total ~15 gallons in Fuelly. Your MPG should look OK, but your miles/fillup will be exagerated this one time.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Who is a mathmetician and can tell me how many extra Liters of gas that is??

As I am in Canada I don't want to overfill the tank and have it spill on the paint....I can't remember the conversion ratio from US Gallons to Liters

·
Registered
73 Posts
very interesting. my fuel gauge usually shows a hair under full when using the 1 click method as well. I don't know that I would do this very often, but I'll definitely monitor the thread. Could be handy for long trips.

·
Registered
556 Posts
very interesting. my fuel gauge usually shows a hair under full when using the 1 click method as well. I don't know that I would do this very often, but I'll definitely monitor the thread. Could be handy for long trips.
I am thinking great for long trips too!!

·
Registered
128 Posts
I'm going to go fairly empty tonight and fill up. Will see how much I can fit into it. I thought the purpose of it was make the tank smaller, which saves weight on fuel and the weight of the tank. However if the tank if the same size and they just let you put in less this means you are just saving weight on 3 gallons or about 15-20 pounds. Seems kind of useless if you ask me. Must have been a marketing thing I guess

·
Registered
136 Posts
I'm not particularly interested in this, or I'd do it... but has anyone called a dealerships parts department to check? If the ECO and other models have the same part number for the tank, it should be clear they are the same.

Using the parts catalog on GMPartsDirect's website they only list one tank, no part number. Isn't conclusive though... they might not have any additional parts shown, and the doesn't mean they don't exist.

I can see why they didn't make a different tank for the ECO... cost. Tooling and then keeping them properly identified so an ECO tank doesn't end up in an LTZ all costs money. I don't know how many ECO models GM forecasted to sell, but I doubt there is a return on the capital investment to make an different gas tank.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Sweet Thank you!!

11 Liters would be about 250 hwy km's on a tank that would be excellent for long trips.
No problem, but you have to hit that gas station soon... we need more data points in Fuelly for the Cruze. There are now 23 showing up on the Cruze page (up from 14 a week ago), but most of our cars are on there yet. It looks like you need to have 3 fillups before they show you (unless you hit, show all).

1 - 20 of 212 Posts