Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

Exhaust Fluid Quality Poor

4K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  BDCCruze 
#1 ·
Good morning fellow cruze folks,

I need some help before I spend a bunch of money I dont have on parts. I have a 2014 cruze 2.0 diesel. I love this car. The entire time I have owned it (20K miles. 112k when I got it and 132k on it now) It has used very little DEF. As a matter of fact I have never seen it go into regen mode. I have put a few of the advance auto (peak) Def containers into it so it has used some. Anywho, I have been getting the occasional check engine light for a while. It was a P11D7. I can find very little info on this and THINK its a reference to a NOX sensor but I dont know if its upstream or down. On sunday I got the poor quality def message and it started the countdown. I added another box of fresh DEF and went for an extended test drive to no avail. I then gave it the old Itialian diesel tune up. 3K RPM in manual shift mode for the 10 mile drive home to clean out the exhaust to no avail. I checked DTCs with my crappy scanner and found P249D is current and P20EE in history. I have a Vector CAN CASE I use for work.

Does anyone know of a Windows 10 supported scan tool I can use in conjunction with my VN1630 CAN case to look at the NOX readings?

Has anyone seen similar things on their cruze and have an educated guess. I see Amazon has the pair of NOX sensors for $363 and can have them here monday. I dont like the idea of shotgunning parts at this car but I am blind without a real scanner. The Techs at the dealer seem to no almost nothing about these cars in my town so I would prefer to figure it out myself.

Any help would be appreciated. I need to get this thing fixed asap

See less See more
#5 ·
And regarding the DEF usage, it is very slow. I only put in 2.5 gallon jug normally every other oil change.

Also, when you buy them, make sure you remove the cap from the bottle and make sure it's sealed. DEF does expire and can go bad. Some of the stuff (like wal mart brand) has a manufacture date on it, so try to get the newest you can find.

#7 ·
It's actually a really bad price I've noticed Harbor Freight tends to do that on fluids--they actually mark them up higher than the average supercenter, and more on par with the full regular price at a local parts store.

Reasonable price on DEF is around $10-12 per 2.5 gal jug. Best price you'll find is the Walmart store brand at just under $8 per 2.5 gal jug. Filling up for $2.59-$2.79 per gallon at the pump at a truck stop is still the best, though, and cleaner/easier too.

#9 ·
I've only used the Wal Mart stuff the past 4 years on my CTD.

Other than the nozzle (which is complete garbage, so I don't use it) I haven't had any problems. I just bought a long funnel that has ridges on the tube so that it keeps a gap for air to escape while in the fill port.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.