Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,943 Posts
Except for the exhaust flange your underside looks really good. Did your bolts actually break? FWIW, mine still looks okay after 86,000 miles.

·
Premium Member
3,975 Posts
Flanges & welds always rust first. Only the tubing is SS in most systems. The one on my 13 yr. P5 looks like yours. Broken bolts are another thing..

·
Premium Member
5,535 Posts
Awfully young car for the studs to rot/break......some serious chemical action taking place.

A good muffler shop will drive out the remains and reassemble with stainless fasteners and a new gasket......you'll have a better system than you started with.

Rob

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
Wow! I've never seen anything like that on such a new car. I should take a closer look at mine since it always gets ridden hard and put away wet.

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts
Is that not covered under the corrosion & rust through warranty? I've never seen something like this happen, even on 10+ year old cars. Rusted out pipes yes, but not bolt shearing.

·
2,170 Posts
Looks like the exhaust on my 2014 1.4L turbo 6-speed manual 1LT doesn't even have a flange.
20160411_092916[1].jpg

Reactions: spacedout

·
Registered
574 Posts
when I painted my rotors & calipers & bracket (eastwood 2 part paint) I had extra paint & my car was all apart w/ 128 miles lifts 2' off the ground so I painted all the welds & flanges. I know i'm doing a big brake kit as I type this & ordered the same paint again & will have even more left over so I will be looking to do a redo on some of my exhaust. I know my rotors & brake calipers look almost like when I painted it. I also rotate my own tires & clean & wax my rims every 5,500 miles. they looks like new too. I can't believe @ 16,300 miles my tires still have the rubber knobbies on the sidewalls all around. I also rhino lined the whole bottom what a PITA that was taping everything you don't want coated. then having to untape it with in hrs or you have to razor the tape off. then all the clear bra on her too about 40% of her all to see if this extra stuff will make my car look better in 10 more yrs than w/o it. :)

·
Premium Member
8,003 Posts
Something smells. I can't imagine the bolt shearing off without mechanical stress. What's the story on the other bolt? I'm wondering if the one we see was sheared at the factory and it's been on one bolt all this time. I sure don't see any fresh damage on it - like a clean face like I'd expect to see.

·
Premium Member
2014 Cruze Diesel, 2007 Cobalt, 1981 Camaro Z28, 2017 Volt
5,684 Posts
Something smells. I can't imagine the bolt shearing off without mechanical stress. What's the story on the other bolt? I'm wondering if the one we see was sheared at the factory and it's been on one bolt all this time. I sure don't see any fresh damage on it - like a clean face like I'd expect to see.
I agree - the exhaust bolts on my '98 Cavalier, holding the cat into the exhaust system, had all but disintegrated (they looked like little pins) - and everything still held together.

I thought the exhaust was all stainless...hmm...

·
Registered
594 Posts
The exhaust is a very poor grade of stainless, imo. We have 30k on ours and I'm not impressed. The tailpipe on my 2000 k3500 TD looked better when I took it off a few weeks ago for a 4" system.

·
Premium Member
881 Posts
There's one post here with a welded system ... and to my knowledge/past experience, I don't recall there being flanges near the muffler on two vehicles that I've replaced the exhaust on with aftermarket. Are you the original owner? Is it a 1.4 or 1.8? If you're not the original owner, I wonder if some exhaust work was done for whatever reason ... but then again, with parts of the cars being made outside the U.S. I can imaging the quality control isn't the greatest, nor is the material being used. Best of luck with that one! If you have a good dealership and you're the original owner, they should help you out. (He!! ... even if you're NOT the original owner, they should help you out)

·
Premium Member
5,535 Posts
There's one post here with a welded system ... and to my knowledge/past experience, I don't recall there being flanges near the muffler on two vehicles that I've replaced the exhaust on with aftermarket. Are you the original owner? Is it a 1.4 or 1.8? If you're not the original owner, I wonder if some exhaust work was done for whatever reason ... but then again, with parts of the cars being made outside the U.S. I can imaging the quality control isn't the greatest, nor is the material being used. Best of luck with that one! If you have a good dealership and you're the original owner, they should help you out. (He!! ... even if you're NOT the original owner, they should help you out)
The OP is a diesel......that is the flange at the catalyst they use......the diesel has no muffler.

I suspect this may happen more often down the road......diesel exaust, with exception to regen, runs rather cold and this failure may be due to the area never really drying out.

For now, I'd recommend the diesel crowd, especially those operating in the salt belt, take a peek down there.

Rob

·
Premium Member
5,684 Posts
I need to hop under and have a look at mine. If need be, I'll just spray it with...well, something...to help keep it clean. Stainless fasteners would help on the bolt front.

·
Premium Member
5,684 Posts
****, well that is a problem.

This should be covered under corrosion and/or powertrain - at least until that warranty is up. Then it looks like its time for new flanges and bolts. Gross. Why the **** isn't this stainless?

·
Super Moderator
7,794 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,535 Posts
The studs and flanges are not stainless.....the pipes are a low grade stainless called T-409.......The higher the number (409) the lower the chrome content and it will be more ferrus (slightly magnetic)........that is why the pipes develop little rust pimples.
The flanges will fail but likely when quite old.....there is a lot of material there to corrode away.

Regarding the studs.......a exaust shop will simply red hot the flange surrounding the stud head......this makes the spot weld so soft it releases as the stud is driven out of the flange......done correctly, the stud will be red hot, the flange will not.

As I said earlier, drive out the studs and replace W/stainless nuts/bolts/lockwashers......these are always T-304.
GM specifies a grade 8 stud and nut......this hardness only can be achieved with ferrus steel.

Stainless steel fasteners are, at best, a grade 5, so they must be tightened to a lower value than the factory recommended.......that's OK though since you are only crushing a asbestos type gasket.......it works just fine and will outlast the system.

Rob

1 - 20 of 23 Posts