Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
25,596 Posts
I went to gmpartsdirect.com and discovered that you can purchase it in pieces if necessary. The site you linked to is a "kit" that consists of a couple of expensive parts. Why replace what you don't need to.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Interesting that it would be sold with the turbo manifold. If only the turbo needed replacing I wouldn't bother with the manifold, which is a separate part as stated above.

Is the info on the exact garrett turbo that the cruze has out there? I'd be interested to see the compressor map.

·
Premium Member
25,596 Posts
The manifold is a separate item at gmpartsdirect.com.

·
Premium Member
2,859 Posts
You could order separate if you only needed one piece as stated above^

·
Premium Member
25,596 Posts

·
10,712 Posts

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,534 Posts
The turbocharger itself is cast into the exhaust manifold; it is always sold as one piece.

It is cheaper and more efficient for engine packaging purposes, and allows the turbo to be closer to the exhaust ports so that it can spool faster.

Sucks when you have to replace one though.

They sell bits and pieces of things that hook UP to the turbocharger, but not the turbine wheel, turbo unit as a whole, etc. separately.

From GM Parts direct:

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,534 Posts
Are the diesel turbos the same way?

Sent from the sexy electrician
Looks like it's bolted to the exhaust manifold (like they traditionally were in the past), not cast into it.

$1600 though...phew! They are a variable geometry turbo though, so more complicated than the 1.4T's.

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
Man you found that information a lot faster than me. I've been scanning google

Sent from the sexy electrician

·
10,712 Posts
that is still the turbo. That bolt will just separate the compressor housing from the turbine housing. The manifold is still cast to the turbo.
Yes, this was under the original assumption you could buy and service it w/o the manifold. It's all one piece when buying it as you linked page one.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts