Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

Recently purchased a 2017 LT Hatchback, tires are 205 / 55 R16.

On one Google search I found a Cruze manual that says

WARNING
Do not use tire chains. There is not enough clearance. Tire chains used on a vehicle without the proper amount of clearance can cause damage to the brakes, suspension, or other vehicle parts. The area damaged by the tire chains could cause loss of control and a crash. Use another type of traction device only if its manufacturer recommends it for the vehicle's tire size combination and road conditions. Follow that manufacturer's instructions. To avoid vehicle damage, drive slowly and readjust or remove the traction device if it contacts the vehicle. Do not spin the wheels.
If traction devices are used, install them on the rear tires.

However, I'm guessing this might be from a few years ago? The owner's manual for my 2017 states to

"use tire chains only where legal and only when necessary. Use low profile chains that add no more than 12mm thickness to the tire tread and inner sidewall..."

I live in an area that requires us to carry traction devices. So my question to pose is --

Has anyone used tire chains with a Cruze and how was your experience -- did it not have enough clearance in the wheel well? Should I bother with actual chains or just go with the cables? Thanks in advance for your feedback you might have!

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
Unless you have experience and knowledge with chains. And a chain that's an exact fit. I wouldn't recommend them. You'll end up doing exactly what the owners manual states.

TEARING STUFF UP.

Most truckers can't even chain up without tearing stuff up. And THEY'RE supposed to know what they're doing.

Add to that, you're steers tires are your traction. Even if you did manage to chain up your steers. You WON'T like the ride. And how slow you'll be going.

No one chains up the steers. Not even semi's.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I can't speak for everywhere, but in the places I've been, the tire chain requirement only applies to heavy (26,000 pound GVW and up) vehicles. Light vehicles, such as the Cruze are fine as long as you at least have all season or winter tires marked as M+S or with the mountain/snowflake symbol.

Another problem with chains is that they are for steel wheels only, and not recommended with aluminum wheels. They can chip the rims.

Snow socks are another option.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.