Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have not found any posts related to my issue, and any closely related issue didn’t offer any relevant advice. So here it goes... bought my base model Cruze in 2010. It currently has 94k miles. Regular oil changes. I’ve had normal wear and tear issues like any long term car owner, but nothing electrical or powertrain related, mostly suspension. I get in my car this morning and reversed out of the driveway, no problem. Put the car into drive, step on the gas and the transmission hesitated to change to 2nd gear until 5000 RPMs. From 2nd to 3rd was a little sluggish, but not like from 1st to 2nd. It also jolted when coming to a stop, so down shifting from 2nd to 1st. This all startled me because it had never done that before… I continue driving and it happened again, before and after the stop sign. At this point I knew I definitely had a problem. I then changed the way I accelerated. After a stop sign or red light I would very gently press the gas pedal until the car changed gears (which pissed off people behind me). Doing this definitely helped, but still, every other red light or so the problem happened again.
Yes, I should take it to get looked at, and I will if I have to, but I would like to try any home remedies before I do that. I’m told that I’m unable to check the transmission fluid level in this car. I had someone else drive it and they told me that the manual transmission mode doesn’t work. I never use the manual transmission mode so I can’t speak to that. Thoughts, tips, suggestions are greatly appreciated! Thank you!

·
Premium Member
5,639 Posts
A good home remedy would be to pull the battery cable and also inspect the cables. Perhaps this will reset the computer

·
Registered
73 Posts
You can check the transmission fluid, but is a little inconvenient. Get the vehicle up to operating temperature (engine and transmission). On a level surface, remove the left front wheel and with your jack after the wheel is removed, level the car. Remember safety first, use a jack stand or whatever you use to help support the car in case the jack slips or fails. There will be a small hex head transmission plug bolt that you can access on the side of the transmission case. Remove it and check if any fluid comes out, if none comes out, add fluid until you start getting fluid to trickle out of that hole. Note that the engine must be running and in park when you check/fill the transmission. The transmission fill is located on the top of the transmission in the engine compartment (driver's side). Should be a black cap that is removed by hand. Remember to use the proper Dextron transmission fluid. Tighten the fill cap and tighten the transmission plug bolt, be careful not to over torque the plug bolt. If the battery cable does not work, I would definitely check the fluid level. Naturally, if it is low, there is a leak somewhere. Good luck.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You can check the transmission fluid, but is a little inconvenient. Get the vehicle up to operating temperature (engine and transmission). On a level surface, remove the left front wheel and with your jack after the wheel is removed, level the car. Remember safety first, use a jack stand or whatever you use to help support the car in case the jack slips or fails. There will be a small hex head transmission plug bolt that you can access on the side of the transmission case. Remove it and check if any fluid comes out, if none comes out, add fluid until you start getting fluid to trickle out of that hole. Note that the engine must be running and in park when you check/fill the transmission. The transmission fill is located on the top of the transmission in the engine compartment (driver's side). Should be a black cap that is removed by hand. Remember to use the proper Dextron transmission fluid. Tighten the fill cap and tighten the transmission plug bolt, be careful not to over torque the plug bolt. If the battery cable does not work, I would definitely check the fluid level. Naturally, if it is low, there is a leak somewhere. Good luck.
Thanks. This is on the agenda in a few hours when I get some help over here. In the meantime I used an OBD scanner and I got a P0700 code, no other code. Also, today I reversed out of the driveway, attempted to put it into drive, but nothing happened, only a revving engine. While revving the engine, if you listen closely you can hear liquid moving around, don’t know if that’s normal but I have no idea what that is. So now it doesn’t shift at all except in reverse.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts