Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I believe I'm posting this in the right section, sorry if it's not.. But I was wondering if I could just swap my window switch with one from the higher models to get the express up feature? I have the express down on all the windows but no express up on the drivers side because I have an LS trim. Would swapping the switches make it work? Or would I need to go to the stealership to get this reprogrammed before it works? I saw a couple of used switches on eBay but I want to be sure it works before I waste my money and or time for nothing. I know this question has been asked before but there wasn't any direct answers. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
2,234 Posts
Unless GM has made an all in one switch there should be two of them in your door panel. One for express up and one for express down in models that contain the feature already. In order to make the swap you'll need to reprogram the window control module. A BCM reprogram is not necessary. If you're techy enough you should be able to reprogram the module on your own. I did not research actually reprogramming but in the long run the dealership can do that for you; seeing as it's a window control module and not the BCM it should be relatively cheap (fingers crossed). I can't tell you how to wire it up. This you'll have to research on as I don't have the time to look at each of the schematics and tell you wire A to wire B atm. Hopefully this gets you moving on your question.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have some experience with wiring. I took an electrical course in college. But is it really that simple? I know in the higher models to activate the express up feature there's an extra "notch" when you pull on the window switch. Mine doesn't have that. Which is why I thought the whole switch needed to be changed.

·
Premium Member
2,234 Posts
You may need to change out the switch as well. Mostly just wanted to clear up that the BCM is not involved but reprogramming the window control module was required.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I guess this isn't helpful, but I think the express up & down features are really annoying. I'd rather put my window how I want it

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You may need to change out the switch as well. Mostly just wanted to clear up that the BCM is not involved but reprogramming the window control module was required.

So changing out the switch would do nothing? :( Shucks!

I guess this isn't helpful, but I think the express up & down features are really annoying. I'd rather put my window how I want it
I use my window a lot, especially when getting in and out of the parking lot at work, it'll make the world of a difference if I didn't have to hold the switch up all the time just to get the window up.

·
Premium Member
2,234 Posts
Changing out the switch and reprogramming may work just fine, but with little to go on I can't say for sure if you'll need the actual button too. My guess, you don't. The auto up/down seems to be based on how long you hold the control. It you tap it twice in quick succession it seems to work in manual but it you tap it up or down it goes to auto. I think you'd be fine to try just installing the switch modules and reprogramming the window control module. Worse thing that could happen is it doesn't work and you need to the door buttons..

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Would reprogramming the module only be possible by the dealer?

·
Premium Member
2,234 Posts
Would reprogramming the module only be possible by the dealer?
Ok, I think I got you and myself both turned around. Let me restart lol so sorry.

- You will need to replace the master switch (the buttons the driver uses to control the windows)

- You will need to add the appropriate up/down auto switches to each of the windows you want to control.

Basically, if you take the components from one Cruze and plop them in another it should work but you'll have to use ALL the components from the Cruze with the features you're looking for. You can ask the dealer if you can reprogram your current master switch but I think it would be cheaper to simply replace it with one already programmed to control the windows in the manner you're attempting. I'm not sure the master switch with the auto up/down feature you're looking for will fit in your door but if they are the same cutout it should be as simple as installing all the components.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Oh okay now I got you. Sorry I was a little confused lol. I found a pretty good used one on eBay for 15$ so I guess I'll just try it and see what happens. Hopefully it's just a plug and play thing.

·
Registered
30 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Oh, no lol. I just wanted something that's gonna make the drivers window go up automatically while I'm driving. I don't really feel comfortable putting something into the brain of the car but I might be a little paranoid haha

·
Registered
30 Posts
I hear ya. I used to drive an MK4 Jetta that had auto down and up on the front windows, and I really miss the auto-up feature.

The reviews on that thing from Amazon are pretty good, and there are quite a few of them, so I'm not as nervous to plug it in. If and when I pick one up, I'll be sure to post about how I like it.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
My honda had that feature too. Pretty lame that chevy left that feature out.. Please let me know how it is though! And if the Chinese are trying to jack your car in the mean time LOL.

·
Premium Member
5,002 Posts
I've had the obd controller in my car for about 2 years with no issues.

·
10,713 Posts
I have EZPASS but for those who do tolls with a manual that's a great feature. 1st gear is short so you wouldn't get the window up in a single gear unless it's 3rd.

Sent from my iFail 5s

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I hear that the obd controller rolls the windows back up after 5 minutes or so.

·
Premium Member
5,002 Posts
Must be an update, I have not seen any with that option.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts