Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

Extended warranty...is it worth it?

849 Views 2 Replies 3 Participants Last post by  Rivergoer
My 2016 gen2 premier has about 23,000 miles and runs great. The factory warranty ends next June or July. I estimate my yearly mileage around 14,000 miles. The dealer has an extended bumper to bumper for about $3000 and 72 months from today and 125,000 miles total. I read about piston issues and other things from stop/start plus there are a LOT more electronics these days.

What are your thoughts? I do like having the peace of mind.
Reactions: Rivergoer
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
4,034 Posts
My uncle bought the warranty on his new 10 dodge pickup. Apparently it didn't go very far beyond manufacture. He's expired now and needs an expansion valve for his a/c.
My aunt bought for her 14 traverse and has used it twice already for minor repairs.

Most of us purchased when we bought new.

It looks like if you do your oil changes and not push the 7,500 miles. You'll probably be alright. Most of the stories have been from 1 place. There's 1 from a different place. That I know of from this forum. Others have been around longer to know more.
YOu also want to make sure you use filters that are designed for synthetic and not conventional. Not every parts clerk knows that yet. I only found that out when i was shopping for oil and filter to do my first change in years.

You also want to make sure you're using synthetic dexos approved. Which costs more then conventional. But cheaper if you buy the 5 quart jug vs. 1 quart/s

Someone did some research and looks like some oils have just recently changed their formula. Hopefully it solves the problem. The stories look to be getting less and less. At least on this forum anyways.

There's quite a few members with over 30k on their cars with no issues. There's one who just surpassed 100k.

· Premium Member
2,608 Posts
My 2016 gen2 premier has about 23,000 miles and runs great. The factory warranty ends next June or July. I estimate my yearly mileage around 14,000 miles. The dealer has an extended bumper to bumper for about $3000 and 72 months from today and 125,000 miles total. I read about piston issues and other things from stop/start plus there are a LOT more electronics these days.

What are your thoughts? I do like having the peace of mind.

Seems high, might want to shop around for better pricing.

Also, 6 years @ 14K/yr = 84,000 miles. Add that to your current mileage and this warranty will expire out at about 107,000 based on time factor.

Extended warranties are great when they pay off, otherwise chock off the cost to ‘insurance’ or as you say ‘peace of mind’.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.