Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2011 Cruze LT with 30500 miles. I just got a quote from "AutoNation" Chevrolet for a "General Motors Protection Plan" GMPP. For the "Major Guard" 7 year, 70,000 miles extended warranty at a total cost of $2895. My feeling is this might not be a good investment. Should I shop other Chevrolet dealers? Would appreciate your thoughts. Thanks

·
Premium Member
5,535 Posts
I have a 2011 Cruze LT with 30500 miles. I just got a quote from "AutoNation" Chevrolet for a "General Motors Protection Plan" GMPP. For the "Major Guard" 7 year, 70,000 miles extended warranty at a total cost of $2895. My feeling is this might not be a good investment. Should I shop other Chevrolet dealers? Would appreciate your thoughts. Thanks
If you live near Chicago I have a connection......cost plus 50.

The price you are giving is way out of line......like double.

You can buy GMPP at any time during the base 3/36 warranty from any G.M. dealer......does not have to be Chevrolet.

Rob

·
Premium Member
2,020 Posts
I paid $2k for mine and I just got my car back having the water pump, thermostat, valve cover replaced, software update to fix speedometer and some other work. Without that warranty, the bill would have been more than $2k. Already paid for itself. I'm at 43k miles which means I'm out of the normal warranty period.

Haggle with them. No reason you should have to pay $3k because from what I understand it's through a 3rd party company (I forget their name. Maybe Frontier, Pioneer, something like that). Don't let them sell it to you with a markup like that.

·
Premium Member
5,157 Posts
7 years or until 70k miles? Nah, I'll pass. I'd only have 18k miles left on it, and be out a lot of money.

·
Premium Member
3,975 Posts
Why not put the $2895 in a bank savings account and let it draw interest until you "might" need it?

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Is this a full bumper to bumper warranty? Or one of those policies that give you the same protection we have with that 100K power train warranty? Just saying what it costs is meaningless.

Still getting these offers on my 04 Cavalier, if your AT goes bad, can cost you $5,600 to replace for a car that isn't even worth that much anymore. If I decide to keep it, would rebuild that transmission myself.

·
Premium Member
1,283 Posts
Not even close to worth it IMO.

Most extended warranties are a scam, the dealer markup is about 50%.

·
Premium Member
2,020 Posts
Not even close to worth it IMO.

Most extended warranties are a scam, the dealer markup is about 50%.
The markup maybe, but I just proved they are worth every penny. Let's say it cost $2k and you buy it. If your car doesn't break down, cool. If you decided to keep that $2k and your car does break down, you still end up paying $2k. Same thing. The difference is that the warranty has a stop loss of $2k so you will never end up paying more than $2k total.

For most of us that $2k is financed anyway. An extra $20 (whatever) on each payment which means you can take your time paying it off. Taking your car to the dealer for repairs will require you to have that money upfront before you get your car back.

Why would you want to have a broke down car that you're still paying on? What if repairs came out to be $5k? Do you have $5k in your savings? If you do, would you want to shell it out? I would not. If you don't have it, how would you get it? another loan?

To each his own. It IS gambling (as is all insurance), but what are you really gambling on? Of course these are all what if scenarios. If you plan on doing any modifications to your car then I highly recommend you reconsider. If I didn't have the extended warranty...well I don't even want to think about that. Cause I had it.

$2800 is too much. Tell them that is ridiculous and you want it for $2k or less.

·
Premium Member
2,704 Posts
Extended warranty implies that your car has a good chance of breaking down, which it doesn't if you take care of it. I'd rather budget out the $2K over the life of the car myself rather than fork it over to the dealer off the bat. Screw 'em. My dad just passed 120,000 on his 2006 Escalade and never bothered with the warranty.. he hasn't had a major repair yet. Lot's of people break 100,000 major-repair less. In fact, most that do the maintenance will reach this point.

·
Premium Member
2,020 Posts
Extended warranty implies that your car has a good chance of breaking down, which it doesn't if you take care of it. I'd rather budget out the $2K over the life of the car myself rather than fork it over to the dealer off the bat. Screw 'em. My dad just passed 120,000 on his 2006 Escalade and never bothered with the warranty.. he hasn't had a major repair yet. Lot's of people break 100,000 major-repair less. In fact, most that do the maintenance will reach this point.
This is true. But again, you're betting that your vehicle won't break down and that it will cost less to fix it if it does. How many of us had already needed to replace the water pump? What about that bad batch of clutches? You can't guarantee it won't have problems if you service it regularly.

My Kia was at 130k and only had the battery go out. It wasn't the best car but it ran and never left me stranded (except the batt). I didn't take great care of it and I drove it hard.

I would agree that after 36k with regular service and good driving that the odds of having a power train failure are very small. But if you like to drive hard, spend most of your time on surface streets or want to add modifications or don't have a lot of money then you take all that away.

Mechanically inclined individuals will also find it hard to spend the money on a warranty because they can do the work themselves. This makes sense because a lot of the cost comes in labor. But, these cars are still new and parts are hard to get sometimes and they still cost an arm and a leg. $89 for a plastic tube and it was on national back order between 2 and 4 weeks. What would you do for 2 weeks without your car? I was given the option to get a rental, covered by the warranty.

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
All I am saying is too read the fine print, I have a 50 power stereo microscope for that.

Stepdaughter came home came home with a $2,900 quote on her car, $600.00 and three hours later, did everything on that quote. And did it right!

Reflashing the firmware is a debatable issue as to whether it covered by the secret 80K mile EPA enforced emissions warranty. Agreed with my dealer to do it for $30.00 out of warranty. Really not worth it laying out $5,600 for a scanner and another $1,500 for a one year subscription. 30 bucks wasn't too bad, took them all but ten minutes to get it done.

I hate flashram by the way, okay for my digital cameras, but not for my vehicles.

·
Premium Member
2,020 Posts
You make a great point, NickD. While I argue that the coverage is worth it, you have to be super careful because you can get ripped off and they will try! I purchased extended warranty for my Kia after speaking to the rep and reading the material. But, when I got it, it only covered very specific parts like Valve, but not valve seals or springs. Pistons but not rods. No electronics at all. WTF? We ended up getting our money back so there was no loss, but it was still a lesson learned.

·
Premium Member
25,596 Posts
I paid less that that for 10 year/100,000 miles when I purchased my ECO. Yes, mine is a B2B warranty extension.

·
Registered
747 Posts
Not sure where you guys are from but there was no standard 100k warranty in so cal.
Yes there is. All Chevy's come with 5 yr/100k miles powertrain warranty which would have covered everything you listed except the speedo and software.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.