Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need some GM Technician help. I am preparing the car for track days on a road race course and looking into adding a little bigger oil cooler with a thermostat. I have looked at pictures of the oil cooler assembly that is on the car, which I have attached to the post, but I can't figure out how it actually works. If anyone can explain all the channels, the 4 holes in the cooler, and if it has a thermostat, I would be happy to do that over the phone. Aside from fabricating a new plate, does anyone know of a way to tap into the system to add an external cooler?

Auto part Auto part Exhaust manifold Automotive super charger part Automotive engine part Automotive air manifold Auto part Metal

·
Registered
96 Posts
No thermostat. Operation is very simple...oil flows into one area of the cooler, and engine coolant flows into the other (2 holes for oil, 2 for coolant). The coolant helps warm the oil up form a cold startup, and also helps cool it once at operating temperature. I wouldn't go replacing it, unless you have verified that engine oil temps are routinely over 275*...and you can't use a scan tool to check. The Cruze uses a "calculated" engine oil temp. You'll have to use a temp probe in the oil pan, to get real numbers.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for explaining Brad. It makes sense now. I had no idea coolant ran through it, and couldn't see the lines. My head was spinning trying to figure out from a picture what the other two holes were for.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts